Author Topic: Economy restoration  (Read 16985 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Economy restoration
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2016, 01:35:22 AM »
Nice work Andy, that's a major improvement!

Are you going to go after the rest of the engine in the same way?

Dave

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 06:35:04 AM »
HI Dave, yes I have gone after the rest of the engine in the same way, lots of fettling and filling.

There was no crank / splash guard fitted to the engine, I bought a new casting from the Engineers Emporium  who were able to tell me that my engine, serial number 1334, was supplied as a set of castings in October 2008.

You can see the surfaces of the castings in the pictures below, filling seemed the best way forward to me. I used Upol Dolphin Glaze car body filler all over the castings, it took a long time but I was pleased with the results.

I decided to dispense with the petrol tank in the base of the engine, I wanted a smaller tank that would be accessible and easy to drain when the engines not in use. The two large holes that had been drilled in the base for the filler and outlet were plugged with Isopon

Andy
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 06:47:12 AM by Chipmaster »

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 11:17:20 AM »
While the layers of primer and filler were drying I decided to improve on the silencer. The existing silencer was a steel pressing with a copper disc covering the opening. I liked the shape of the steel part so I machined a dome shaped cover from a piece of cast iron bar using a radius turning attachment. I did put spacers in between the two halves so the exhaust had a way out.

Andy

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2016, 03:05:28 PM »
In between coats of paint I made the dummy Webster magneto as set out in the plans. The main body came from a piece of brass bar milled to shape.

Andy

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2016, 08:44:21 PM »
I started to spray paint the model using a cheap (£18.00) HVLP spray gun that I had used for previous models. However, I  kept getting a variety of defects in the paint finish. Even allowing for my lack of experience with spray guns I felt that the results were worse than I could achieve with an aerosol. So I blamed the cheap spray gun which gave me an excuse to buy a DeVilbiss SRi Pro Spot Repair Spray gun which gave far better results straight away using slightly thinned Craftmaster Crimson Lake enamel paint. Using a large cardboard box as a spray booth, I could get nice looking finishes but had a lot of problems with dust. I resorted to using cardboard boxes to cover the various parts while the paint dried and that made a big difference.

Andy
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 07:06:56 PM by Chipmaster »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 01:14:46 AM »
That is a beautiful paint finish Andy. The whole project is coming together amazingly. What an impressive transformation!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 02:29:54 AM »
That is a beautiful paint finish Andy. The whole project is coming together amazingly. What an impressive transformation!!

Bill
Dido to that............... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 05:59:10 PM »
Yes probably over the top, I had to satisfy myself that I could produce a high gloss finish. The downside is that I'm afraid of scratching it!
Andy

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2016, 06:48:40 PM »
Efforts well rewarded!
I'm glad you also did the "dummy magneto" ...
Charlie

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2016, 07:12:28 PM »
Yes thanks Charlie. The dummy magneto consumed what seemed a disproportionate amount of time but it added interesting detail to the model.
Andy

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2016, 05:12:49 PM »
A steerable trolley is essential for moving this model around, it's rather heavy. The engine came with a trolley that was clearly intended to be temporary while the engine was under construction. The wheels and axles were fine, it just needed better woodwork to improve the appearance. Using Ash for a light colour, I made up a simple 'ladder' type chassis dowelled together and finished with Rustins Plastic Coating. Stainless steel thread inserts were screwed into the wood to take the studs that hold down the engine.
Andy
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 07:29:28 PM by Chipmaster »

Offline mhirst121

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2016, 08:48:58 PM »
Nice job on the engine Andy. I had trouble with the flywheel castings for mine, one of them has a buckle in it as if it was removed when still hot and layed against something. Had a hell of a jod to get it acceptable, but it will have to do now. Hope mine runs as well as yours !
Carlisle, Cumbria, UK
A creative mess is better than idle tidyness !!

Offline Chipmaster

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2016, 09:18:49 PM »
Hello Martin, I have also read your build log as you go along and empathise with the flywheel issues. I note that the design of the flywheels have changed - the clamping bolt bits have been dispensed with. My build log is almost up to date I need to make a petrol tank and decide where to position it. It's supposed to be inside the base but I prefer mine to be accessible so its easy to drain when not in use.
I reckon the original builder also had an issue with the castings in the main bearing department from what I could see of the way he machined it.

Andy

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2016, 12:41:11 AM »
Beautiful cart Andy and  it just shows off that paint job even better. Very very nice!!!

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2016, 01:41:19 AM »
Yes it is all coming together nicely!

The paint and wood work are beautiful.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal