Author Topic: Reasons  (Read 17258 times)

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
Re: Reasons
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2012, 04:00:46 PM »
Looks great! Don't they use copper piping in the UK any more? It's still pretty much standard in the US.

Simon

Bogstandard

« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2012, 07:02:48 PM »
Bob,

My one requires a pump to give pressure to all the jets at the same time if needed. All I have to do is rotate in front of it and point the handset down at my feet, instant scrub down.

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/triton-unichrome-thermostatic-3546-13510

Jo,

It was turned down when they called today, it is now a lot more civilised towards my skin.

Bill,

I am hoping to restart my life in the new year, I haven't had a holiday for a few years, so the car is for continental touring. My 10 year old Suzuki is still good, but I wouldn't trust it for really long journeys.

Simon,

They have been using plastic piping with instant couplings for a fair number of years now, but they still use a lot of copper for non accessible areas, but it is getting very expensive nowadays. Eventually, for houses, I think it will all be plastic, so simple to install.

John

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2012, 07:04:59 PM »
Simon

You can still get copper and iron tubes here in Denmark, but no one uses them in new installations any more. It takes a fraction of the time to assemble the new plastic systems, they last more than twice the years the metal ones do and you don't have to insulate them quite as much to avoid heatloss or condensation  :Love:

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2012, 08:39:17 PM »
Power showers are devices designed to pump mains water at hgher than normal in order to use up the entire contents your hot water tank in the time it takes you to have your shower ;D.

Just for the record Jo in the UK it is illegal to put a pump on mains water, I suspect bogs pump draws water from a gravity fed system eg cold tank in loft and hot water cylinder. If John has a combi boiler or Megaflow type hot water then what they have done is a no no.

Looks good John, just don't point teh jets towards your tender bits :noidea:

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2012, 08:58:34 PM »

Just for the record Jo in the UK it is illegal to put a pump on mains water,

:o Looks like my power washer for the car is illegal then.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2012, 09:47:20 PM »
Well, there is illegal and illegal, isn't there. In Aus, or at least in NSW, it is still technically illegal to generate electricity BUT just about everyone has a small generator for emergency or camping and the govt pays silly subsidies to people putting power back into the grid via their solar gens. Go figure????

Great job on the bathroom John - I am insanely jealous, in fact!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2012, 10:44:13 PM »
Congratulations John.

A new bathroom is a new lease on life.

I like the straight walk in to the shower. Worse thing in the world is a toe stub first thing in the morning when your mind and body is ready for blissful enjoyment.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Bogstandard

« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2012, 11:52:18 PM »
You're quite right Jason, I raised my cold water tank into my loft and tapped into my large copper hot water cylinder when I fitted my old smaller power shower about 7 years ago, so this one was dead easy for them to fit, all the hard work had been done. But this one, if you had a combi boiler installed, wouldn't need a pump.

Zee, you are spot on about stubbing your toes.
That was one of the problems with my old shower, because I can't raise my right foot when I am walking, but actually drag it along, I had difficulty climbing in and out of the old shower, even though it was only about 4" high, I kept banging my toes on the edge. OK when going about normal, I have shoes on to protect them.

I don't think people realise just how life changing something like this can be for a person with even a fairly mild disability, like myself, and as I have said before, the conversions I have had done has saved me two or three hours of intense pain EVERY day. That amounts to a lot less suffering when added up over a lifetime, or whats left of mine.
I won't be able to thank enough, the people who saw my problems and applied for the government grant for me to have this done to my house, so that I could stay there and retain my independence, and even my new car is being subsidised through a charity called Motability.

http://www.motability.co.uk/

Motability may not be right for everyone, but for my new lifestyle, it is perfect.

I know that there people from the UK on this site that maybe have worse problems than myself, and are suffering alone. My suggestion is to contact your local occupational therapist, and see if they can help, as they have done for me, all free of charge, and in my case, all in less than six months.

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal