Author Topic: Reasons  (Read 17204 times)

Bogstandard

Reasons
« on: August 21, 2012, 10:24:04 AM »
A few of you might have noticed that I haven't been sticking my nose into almost every post recently, and it isn't not for the wanting to do so.

I am having my house made easier to get around, rather than having to move out into a local government controlled bungalow, where if I did move into one, I would lose all my workshop facilities.

I am now trying to get myself a better meaning to life, after going through so much agony and grief over the last few years, and especially earlier this year.

Well, it all started with a visit by my occupational therapist a few months ago, she was assigned to me because of all the problems I was having.

She applied for a local council grant for me (this is a government thing and helps people in my situation), and got the full grant, which is worth many thousands of pounds. I don't have to pay one penny towards the work done or upkeep of the items fitted, just the redecorating afterwards.

This what I am showing is the first part, an all singing all dancing stairlift, custom built to go up and around my stairs, fully radio controlled (a handset at both top and bottom), so I can park it wherever I want and call it to me whether I am at the top or bottom. When sitting on it, I actually control it with a manual joystick.

You will notice that there is other work that had to be carried out so that they could fit it in, removing and repositioning handrails, a new high output but tiny radiator, they had to remove the original because they needed the space at the bottom for a place where the stairlift could 'land and park'. All this rough work will be covered up when the whole place is redecorated after all work is finished.

You will notice a little head poking out at the top of the stairs, that is Turpin, my teacup Jack Russell, and both he and Bandit love sitting on my knee (not at the same time BTW) when I am going up or down on the stairlift.

It is these stairs that have caused me so much pain over the years, just going up for a shower would put me out of action for many hours, and that was every day, now, I can go up and down and have no pain at all.
In fact, it is allowing me to get my bedroom ready for me to sleep in for the first time in a few years. I have already fitted a large screen 3D TV in there, running from a hard drive with hundreds of my favourite films on it, and radio controlled all the electrics. I may never get out of bed again.

I can tell you how much this has made a difference me.

Up until this was fitted, I could only manage a 30 mile drive before I was in agony, whether driving myself or being driven. On Sunday, I went out with a lady friend for a round trip drive of about 160 miles, and only felt a slight twinge after I got back.

I think that giving up a bit of surfing time on here has been well worth it, and after the final parts are finished off, a walk in wet/shower room, and fully redecorated, I should be up to my normal tricks on here again. It might take a couple of months, but I think it will be well worth the sacrifice.

John

Offline AdeV

• Administrator
Re: Reasons
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 10:31:27 AM »
Very swish John, how long before you modify it to go a bit faster....?
Cheers,
Ade
--
I'm just a poor old man. I have no time for law-breakers. My legs are grey. My ears are gnarled. My eyes are old and bent.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 11:10:45 AM »
Looks like a valuable addition to your house. One concern is the seat colour not a little too light? Will it not show up the dirty finger prints and paw prints?

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Bearcar1

• Chicagoland Area, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 11:14:17 AM »
Well done John. To me, you are doing the very best thing for your quality of life. BRAVO! My long range plans are to do exactly as you are doing (only twice) in our home so that in later years both my wife and I will be able to navigate about our castle without fear of pain or injury from ascending or descending the steps. My Father, when he was getting long in tooth, fought me hoove and nail when I had a walk-in bathtub installed in his house. He carped about this and that but after it was installed, he realized what a tremendous benefit it was and commented that it "probably should have been done a long time ago" :embarassed: . We all look forward to seeing your posts and understand your health and comfort is far more important.  My hat is off to you sir  :NotWorthy:

BC1
Jim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 11:19:13 AM »
Glad your getting all that done John!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline lazylathe

• Woodstock, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
Good for you John!!!

Anything that makes ones life easier is a great asset!
Yours is the first chair lift i have seen that goes around a corner.
Most of the ones seen over here are just a straight up and down chair.

Great to hear that you are out and about a bit!!
Must be nice to be able to leave the confines of the house for a few hours and not return in a lot of pain!!

Congratulations on all the restorations and all the many more that are in the works!!!

Andrew
A new place to hide my swarf!

Offline swilliams

• Canberra Australia
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »
Best wishes with it allowing you to get more done etc. John. Sounds like it's already making a world of difference for you.

Steve

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 12:12:56 PM »
Great stuff John,

My Aunt received the same grant for her home in Birmingham, although she opted for the lift in, lift out chair in the bath rather than a shower. It enabled her to stay in her own home for quite a few more years.   :whoohoo:

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »
Just from the picture that looks like a lot of steps John...and steps that you now won't have to climb. Sounds like the benefits are evident already in your health and outlook, not to mention that cool new toy!!!  ;D

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 01:29:53 PM »
Should make life a bit easier for you John. I see from the second photo you have your quality inspector on top of things.

Just one thing to watch with those remote controls is that you check the frequency with the local flying club, don't want any interfearance from the RC boys making you do loop the loop half way up the stairs :ShakeHead:

J

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 02:07:06 PM »
God speed for you John, and wish you well. Love your work and educational threads.

Best regards Don

Offline Mayhem

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 02:07:56 PM »
It is good to see the government giving back to the community and I am very happy for you John. 

I have worked in the health industry all of my working life and it amazes me that it is so often the small things that we take for granted (such as climbing stairs) can be the difference between independent living and an 'aged care facility'. 

The money they spend now is nothing compared to what they would spend in providing care down the track.  Especially when John would lose the plot from not having his workshop.  In fact, that cost would probably be measured in life years lost.

Bogstandard

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
Many thanks everyone, so many I just can't reply to everyone as I normally do. But I do realise the thought is there.

It is amazing how much this small mod has done for the quality of my life. If I had known that this would make so much difference, I would have fitted one years ago. But like everyone else, I was one who thought it could never happen to me, but it did, with great speed and aggression.

I do know one thing though, living in a society where by going down the correct local government channels and getting free grants like this has saved me many years of pain, and is already making my life worth living again.
We all complain about our National Health Service efficiency here in the UK, but no matter what, everyone does eventually get the treatment they require, totally free of charge, or in the case of prescribed medicines, very low cost, or like myself, free. In other parts of the world, I wouldn't have been so lucky.

So give me a couple of months to get back into the swing of things, and I will be posting like I used to.

John

Offline ironman123

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 07:36:44 PM »
John, glad you got that grant to do those things.  Those lifts are really a "life saver".  You take your time.  We will miss your input and will be glad when you get settled in with your additions so you can get back on here.     We know you haven't abandoned us.

Ray
Ray
Central Texas

Offline Dean W

• A balanced diet is a bag of M&Ms in each hand...
    • Home Shop Projects
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 10:20:25 PM »
I'm glad you are able to get this addition to your home, John.  Like you say, it will make a big difference
to your quality of life.  That is worth more than we can ever understand.  I'm happy for you!
Dean
In beautiful N. Idaho, U.S.A.

Shop Projects:
http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/projects.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal