Author Topic: lubricating a Centaur gas engine  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Frank Boyle

lubricating a Centaur gas engine
« on: January 02, 2016, 07:50:04 PM »
Hi
I have made the three lubricators with a tapered control. I made the lubricators to look proportionate to the engine but am not sure if they will be large enough.How much oil is required.My next idea is to use the lubricators as valves only and to connect each to an oil tank with flexible hoses.Others solutions and thoughts will be welcome.
Frank

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: lubricating a Centaur gas engine
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 07:58:20 PM »
I have the same thoughts with my horizontal engine  ::) The cylinder seems to need the most oil. The big end is the most difficult due to the various forces.

I think I will drill the crankshaft to feed the big end. Feeding with individual drip feeds or with a pump and distribution system is still open at the moment  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2016, 08:05:04 PM »
Really depends on how long you are going to be running the engine for. On my slightly larger hit & miss engines the crank bearings need very little probably one drip every few mins at the most, pistons seem OK on about 1 or two drips per min again the weight of the oil will affect the drip.

I have also done greasers rather than oilers on cranks and they will run 5-10 mins without touching quite happily.

You can also add a bit of WD40 or MMO to the fuel which will reduce the need for cylinder oiling

Offline Frank Boyle

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 08:20:53 PM »
I have fitted the banjo luricator to the crank web and as yet it is not sealed.The journal is drilled to the centre and another at 90deg for the big end,I was unsure if this would work and tested it with a drill powering the crank and was pleased to see oil spraying up the centre of the base plate a result.
Frank

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal