Author Topic: ⅛" Chuck in the lathe tailstock.  (Read 1968 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
⅛" Chuck in the lathe tailstock.
« on: January 02, 2016, 04:15:49 PM »
Awaiting the new 1/8" Albrecht Chuck on Monday, I was thinking about also using it on the lathe.
My first thought was to grip the ½" shank in the Jacobs Super Chuck. But, I'm not excited about putting a Chuck in a Chuck.
Next thought was to get an MT3 end mill holder.
1. Is this the best way to go?
2. The end mill holders that I've seen at various suppliers all spec a ½-13 drawbar thread. Do I need a drawbar since all drilling pressure is to the rear?

Best,
Stan

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
Re: ⅛" Chuck in the lathe tailstock.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2016, 04:54:54 PM »
Stan,
I have a royal fine feed adapter like you are getting +2 Albrecht's chucks (1/8 &3/16) all with half-inch arbors. I use all of them in my 1/2 Albrecht tailstock Chuck. You just don't want to over tighten them in the tailstock Chuck as the hardened arbors can damage the hardened jaws on your tailstock Chuck. That is not a big problem as you are not going to be needing a lot of torque with the small drill bits. Firm tightening is no problem, you just don't want to get carried away.

If you use an end mill adapter you won't need a drawbar for drilling small holes. Just make sure that the end mill adapter is long enough to self eject when the tailstock is retracted fully. Some and mill adapter's when used with some tailstock's will not self eject and then it's a real challenge to remove the adapter from the tailstock. If this is the case just screw a short spud into the adapter to lengthen it so it will self eject.

If your tailstock Chuck is in good condition and runs very true then I would not bother with the end mill adapter.
Gail in NM
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal