Author Topic: garden workshop  (Read 9067 times)

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
Re: garden workshop
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 08:19:16 AM »
That look nice Terry!

Can you tell me how you bucked all those rivets on the inside of the tank?

Dave

The shop gnome?  :thinking:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
Hi Dave,      By Cheating!     The top plate was done upside down, the rivet head on a snap in the vice and 1ft long one to do the hidden bits. The ends were put on next..similar method. The base is made of three pieces. Unfortunately I took no photos at that stage but you can get the idea from some other pics.
The wrap around pieces were riveted to the ends with a 3ft long snap (or set ) through the manhole openings. all the horizontal base rivets are 4ba threaded with brass nuts on the inside. There are some round screws in there as well.  I needed the centre gap to install all the bracing gussets for the steering shaft. The final centre base will probably be welded in (totally out of sight).

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 11:38:55 AM »
Hi Terry,

Sadly I don't seem to be able to look at the Picasa albums? It seems impossible to get in without registering for an account and I don't want to do that.

I haven't machined my cylinders yet either. Is yours to the LSM design or the orginal Filby design? Presumably Filby if John Rex is doing the machining? I have a friend locally who is building the same engine. He got his cylinder machined by John Rex. Two caveats - one it took ages (over a year), and two, some of the holes (for the safety valves I think) were not where he expected. I can check if you like. My cylinders are to the original Filby design, but there are a number of errors on the drawings, so I am redrawing the whole part. And, as John Rex pointed out, there are no details for fitting the blower. Before I start machining the cylinders I need to check over the steam passages to make sure that they're a sensible size. I also plan to redesign the valve gear and that may affect the steam ports. On my cylinder design I've dumped the 1º slope backwards. It makes the machining much more difficult and I can't immediately see any particular reason for it. Although it is prototypical, any rivet counters who point it out will end up walking at a funny angle themselves.  ;)

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 11:55:27 AM »
Hi Andrew,   I'll look into the picasa  thing, it should be public.            Already been waiting several months for cylinders  :wallbang:    I have heard reports about LSM thin liners leaking so went for John's Filby set up.    Hole positions are new to me, will ask.    I see no need for the 1degree slope either.   Not clever enough to redesign anything but will be interested to see what you come up with.   Regards            Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 12:00:48 PM »
Andrew,   pm me your email address and we should be able to sort the picasa thing       Terry

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »
Andrew,   pm me your email address and we should be able to sort the picasa thing       Terry

Done - Andrew

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 12:52:16 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Terry; the result looks quite nice!

Dave

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 07:30:30 PM »
 :whoohoo: Today I had a WINDOW fitted in my workshop    :cartwheel:      At last I can see daylight.........should have done it years ago but had to wait for inspiration from you guys on MEM.................Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 10:17:42 PM »
Yeah!!!!   A second window fitted today, amazing improvement :pinkelephant:  Still got to finish the reveals, etc.  CHUFFED

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 11:01:30 PM »
Hi Terry,
 Nothing like being able to see outside when you are in the workshop..........daydreaming of the next project takes on a whole different outlook!

Well done, the man cave now has light at the end of the tunnel!.......nah it's probably somebody bring you another project to get in the way of yours!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 12:41:23 AM »
Love the look of your shop and garden.

Dave

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 03:13:19 AM »
Terry........there's nothing like being able to let a little of the outside inside.   :ThumbsUp: Love the clock out side your shop door.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 01:37:16 AM »
Love it.  :ThumbsUp:
Everything about it.
Brick and stone, glass, wood. I'm envious.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal