Author Topic: garden workshop  (Read 9001 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
garden workshop
« on: January 01, 2016, 08:23:00 PM »
Hello, As a recent new member I suppose i'd better show where all the swarf is made!  My "avatar" shows the outside, inside there is a 41/2 inch American Atlas lathe which replaced my totally worn out 61/2 inch colchester master. Behind is a Raglan mill.  On the bench is a "mini", bought because I could not make small pins,etc. on the old Colchester, but still quite useful. Further along is my drill and on the floor a home made power hacksaw. The shed is lined with 1 inch polystyrene sheets. I am building a couple of 4" scale Burrell traction engines which are way too big for my gear. Up to now I have muddled through. When they are done my set-up should be great for making some small steam or i.c.engines

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: garden workshop
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 08:36:13 PM »
Looks like you have created a nice space for your tools and projects.
The last shot with a glimpse of the traction engine is just a teaser.

Dave 

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 10:10:39 PM »
Hi SCC,
 Looks like a fun place to play....err work! My dad has the same mill

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 10:49:13 PM »
Every one creates his or her space to their liking and I can see you have made it comfortable for you. Nice setup and it would be nice to see more of that traction engine...... :stickpoke:

Don

Offline Nicolas

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 11:13:54 PM »
Nice set up :ThumbsUp:

The Raglan is a beautiful little Mill, I fell in love with that machine the first time I saw a photo of one, never seen one in person.

My dad has the same mill

:o I now have a very good reason to visit one day, I would have never thought that there would be one of those little Raglans in New Zealand.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 12:53:52 AM »
Nice shop SCC.  You've got a lot of great equipment there. Looks like a fun place to play!
Kim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 12:57:43 AM »
Nice workspace scc. Thanks for giving is a tour of your shed!

Bill

Offline ReFlad

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2016, 02:10:05 AM »
Love the Hacksaw.  Is it possible to show more pictures of the other side?  Been wanting to build one like that for a while now. 

Ronald

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2016, 07:46:42 AM »
Looks a good set up  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: I would also like to see more pictures of your hacksaw (and the engines of course  :) )
Best regards

Roger

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 11:32:56 AM »
Cheers Lads,         Kerrin....... I like the work / play thing!    My daughters had the same idea on my shed door........

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »
Roger and Ronald,      The hacksaw was made from plans purchased from David Abbott.      Email:   myfordboy@gmail.com   or you can look on:    youtube.com/myfordboy         I modified to suit material that I had.  It was made quickly to work not look nice.   A useful tool.           Regards    Terry :embarassed:

Online gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 01:51:10 PM »
The hacksaw design is based on a Horace Kennedy patent: www.google.co.uk/patents/US2634175 .Very interesting concept. He envisioned a lot of uses for hex shafting.
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 05:06:53 PM »
The last shot with a glimpse of the traction engine is just a teaser.

Quite so - looks like it is darn near finished, and to a high standard - mine are still just a collection of unpainted parts.

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 09:09:54 PM »
Andrew, there is a lot to do yet. I still do not have a cylinder, it's too big for my mill so I have reluctantly farmed it out to Rexy     To keep my son updated I put a lot of pics on picasa. Unfortunately they do not stay in sequence and there are pics of both engines. Possibly a bit confusing. You could try to look:www.picasaweb.google.com/terry.bullard may get it. If it comes up click on the engine, there are over 100pics. When you see what I'm up to you will realise the high standard of your "few unpainted bits".               
terry

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 01:19:57 AM »
That look nice Terry!

Can you tell me how you bucked all those rivets on the inside of the tank?

Dave

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 08:19:16 AM »
That look nice Terry!

Can you tell me how you bucked all those rivets on the inside of the tank?

Dave

The shop gnome?  :thinking:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 11:33:00 AM »
Hi Dave,      By Cheating!     The top plate was done upside down, the rivet head on a snap in the vice and 1ft long one to do the hidden bits. The ends were put on next..similar method. The base is made of three pieces. Unfortunately I took no photos at that stage but you can get the idea from some other pics.
The wrap around pieces were riveted to the ends with a 3ft long snap (or set ) through the manhole openings. all the horizontal base rivets are 4ba threaded with brass nuts on the inside. There are some round screws in there as well.  I needed the centre gap to install all the bracing gussets for the steering shaft. The final centre base will probably be welded in (totally out of sight).

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 11:38:55 AM »
Hi Terry,

Sadly I don't seem to be able to look at the Picasa albums? It seems impossible to get in without registering for an account and I don't want to do that.

I haven't machined my cylinders yet either. Is yours to the LSM design or the orginal Filby design? Presumably Filby if John Rex is doing the machining? I have a friend locally who is building the same engine. He got his cylinder machined by John Rex. Two caveats - one it took ages (over a year), and two, some of the holes (for the safety valves I think) were not where he expected. I can check if you like. My cylinders are to the original Filby design, but there are a number of errors on the drawings, so I am redrawing the whole part. And, as John Rex pointed out, there are no details for fitting the blower. Before I start machining the cylinders I need to check over the steam passages to make sure that they're a sensible size. I also plan to redesign the valve gear and that may affect the steam ports. On my cylinder design I've dumped the 1º slope backwards. It makes the machining much more difficult and I can't immediately see any particular reason for it. Although it is prototypical, any rivet counters who point it out will end up walking at a funny angle themselves.  ;)

Andrew

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 11:55:27 AM »
Hi Andrew,   I'll look into the picasa  thing, it should be public.            Already been waiting several months for cylinders  :wallbang:    I have heard reports about LSM thin liners leaking so went for John's Filby set up.    Hole positions are new to me, will ask.    I see no need for the 1degree slope either.   Not clever enough to redesign anything but will be interested to see what you come up with.   Regards            Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 12:00:48 PM »
Andrew,   pm me your email address and we should be able to sort the picasa thing       Terry

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2016, 01:56:19 PM »
Andrew,   pm me your email address and we should be able to sort the picasa thing       Terry

Done - Andrew

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 12:52:16 AM »
Thanks for the explanation Terry; the result looks quite nice!

Dave

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2016, 07:30:30 PM »
 :whoohoo: Today I had a WINDOW fitted in my workshop    :cartwheel:      At last I can see daylight.........should have done it years ago but had to wait for inspiration from you guys on MEM.................Terry

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2017, 10:17:42 PM »
Yeah!!!!   A second window fitted today, amazing improvement :pinkelephant:  Still got to finish the reveals, etc.  CHUFFED

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2017, 11:01:30 PM »
Hi Terry,
 Nothing like being able to see outside when you are in the workshop..........daydreaming of the next project takes on a whole different outlook!

Well done, the man cave now has light at the end of the tunnel!.......nah it's probably somebody bring you another project to get in the way of yours!

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 12:41:23 AM »
Love the look of your shop and garden.

Dave

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2017, 03:13:19 AM »
Terry........there's nothing like being able to let a little of the outside inside.   :ThumbsUp: Love the clock out side your shop door.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2017, 01:37:16 AM »
Love it.  :ThumbsUp:
Everything about it.
Brick and stone, glass, wood. I'm envious.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal