Author Topic: Desk hook  (Read 2435 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Desk hook
« on: December 30, 2015, 09:41:07 PM »
A bench hook  is a handy tool whenever you need to chisel/plane/checker etc. a flattish workpiece.  Hook the hook over the front edge of the bench, push the workpiece against the stops attached to the hook plate and you've got something to resist the force generated by the tool when you use it on the work.

I have a large one made of 3/4" plywood that I use often on my workbench in Garaj Mahal, my shop.  It's so useful that I wanted a smaller one to use on the worktable that sits next to my desk.  This first picture shows what I built...

The large stops at the end of the plate are permanently screwed to the plate and can resist quite a bit of force.  For smaller workpieces these stops are too far away for comfortable work so a repositionable stop was made.  It's held in place by two bolts that can be located in a set of holes in the plate to provide three different positions for the stop.  These holes and bolts can also be used to secure work with clamps as shown by the sample setup in foreground.  Obviously, as need arises, more holes can be drilled in the plate to accommodate other clamping options.

A view of the bottom of the plate showing the hook and the countersunk holes for the bolts.  Countersinking allows the plate to lie flat on the worktable.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Desk hook
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 11:36:02 PM »
Clever and useful as are most of your ideas Marv. So what are the overall dimensions of the smaller version?

Bill

Offline Jayville

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 01:49:32 AM »
I like clever ideas ..and this is one of them".....clem....Tasmania Australia.   

Offline mwooten

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 11:07:29 AM »
Well there is another thing on my list to make for myself.  I'm going to have to quit my job if this keeps up.  Just not enough time

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 02:54:40 PM »
Clever and useful as are most of your ideas Marv. So what are the overall dimensions of the smaller version?

It's 12" long by 8" wide.  The plate is 5/16" plywood.  Obviously, there is nothing sacred about those dimensions.  If you make one make it to suit your workspace, average workpiece dimensions and work habits.  On this smaller one I used countersunk holes for the bolts but on the larger one in the garage, I used T-nuts set into shallow counterbores in the plate so the plate would sit flat on the bench.

The one in the garage has a bolt hole pattern that fits an industrial lockable ball joint arm that can be used to position carvings in different attitudes or hold some of my powered tools.  One could do the same thing on the small one by mounting a Panavise base like this...

http://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-305-Low-Profile-Base/dp/B0002BC1YU/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1451573471&sr=8-15&keywords=panavise

I'm sure there are lots of other variants for you clever guys to invent.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal