Author Topic: Small parts cups  (Read 1935 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Small parts cups
« on: December 16, 2015, 06:37:33 PM »
When I disassemble intricate mechanisms I like to keep the small screws/nuts/etc in a little dish on my workbench so they don't get lost.  If retrieving the items from the dish with your fingers, said dish should not have any corners lest the items get trapped there and are impossible to pick up.

The domed bottoms of aluminum drink cans work perfectly in this application.  Mark the bottom of the can with a Sharpie held on a block of wood (a la a height gage) and cut with a cutoff disk in a Dremel.  (It's very difficult to get a nice clean cut (so the cup isn't tilted in use) with scissors.) 

I find that the resulting cups are too light as is; they tend to flip easily if bumped.  My remedy for this is to run a bead of glue around the inside circumference of the cup bottom, then fill with bird shot.  After the glue dries, pour the unglued shot out and save for the next cup.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline gmac

• British Columbia Canada
Re: Small parts cups
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 08:06:54 PM »
.....and glue a small magnet to the underside to prevent steel parts from going walkabout ? Thanks Marv !

Cheers Garry

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Small parts cups
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
.....and glue a small magnet to the underside to prevent steel parts from going walkabout ? Thanks Marv !

I considered that but decided against it.  I hate when small parts become magnetized and stick to adjacent ferrous surfaces instead of going into the intended threaded hole.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal