Author Topic: New Pantograph / Mill for the shop  (Read 5303 times)

Offline littlelocos

New Pantograph / Mill for the shop
« on: December 09, 2015, 03:11:03 AM »
Here's my newest tool for the shop - a PEAR CG/3 Pantograph / Mill.  This little guy works as a tracing pantograph with reductions from 1:1 to 1:50 as well as a small, high-speed knee mill.  Excited to get it set up and put it to work.  A separate bracket mounts to the column, locking the spindle in place for milling.  At this point, I hope to be making chips in about a week.

From my searching around the Internet, there sure doesn't seem to be much info on the PEAR pantographs.  If anyone is familiar with these, I'd sure like to hear from them.

Here are the spec's from the cut-sheet that came with it:
Tracer table:  18-1/4" x 9-1/2"
Mill table:  20" x 7-3/4"
Table movement:  ~12" x 10" x 6"
Speeds:  6 from 4,800 to 12,600 (these have been modified both up and down)
It's about 4-1/2 ft tall and weighs in at 726 pounds.
Manufactured in Italy by Meccaniche A. Pecchioli

I'll post additional photos once it is set up.
Enjoy,
Todd.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: New Pantograph / Mill for the shop
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 07:56:38 AM »
I will be interested to see how good it is for 3D profiling  8)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline chris evans

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 09:54:45 AM »
Very similar to an old Taylor & Jones I used in the Sixties.  Does it have a cutter grinder on the back ?

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 11:57:04 PM »
Hello Jo.  This is a 2D model.  Apparently it may have originally had a "bracket" to go on the tracer platform to allow engraving of curved objects.  Unfortunately it appears to have been lost.  Luckily, the spindle-locking bracket did come with it.  Most of the work I have planned for it is as a small mill.  The pantograph features will be used for engraving model engine nameplates.  My nephew has plans to profile-mill watch parts with it as well.

Hello Chris.  No grinder on this one, only a tool tray.

Todd.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 12:05:43 AM »
Interesting looking machine Todd. Have never seen a pantograph that large. Did you get any lettering masters with it other than those shown?

Bill

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 12:28:51 AM »
Thanks Bill.  I got a full set of master type along with a double-hand-full of miniature end mills and enough name plate blanks to label everything in the shop.

This is the first machine (including my Grizzly mill-drill) that I've purchased that didn't need to be torn down and gone over completely before putting into service.  I'm thinking this will be a really fun machine to use.  Joy says she may even try her hand at engraving with it.

Todd.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 12:38:59 AM »
I am interested in seeing it set up as a mill...how the head will lock, etc. Pantographs these days all seem to be more computer controlled for obvious reasons, though I guess they are technically not pantographs...more like CNC mills used for lettering. Still the nice old equipment is nice to see and still does a fine job. Nice find !!

Bill

Offline chris evans

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 09:51:55 AM »
I have used several pantographs over the years. There is a Deckle KF12 at the works I retired from over two years ago, been unused and gathering dust since I left. No one there can use it; or just do not want to learn ? A bit of a heavy beast that would get little or no use in my shop, I will ask if it is for sale on my next visit.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 03:58:41 PM »
It looks to be like a very well built machine. Just the engraving part of it would be extremely worthwhile.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 01:48:21 AM »
I am interested in seeing it set up as a mill...how the head will lock, etc.

Hello Bill,
I spent some time today making up base plates to work with the leveling feet.  It's now set in place and leveled, so I took some photos so far.  Electrical is next.  I've 3D printed two electrical boxes for the switch and power cord and hope to have the machine running by this time tomorrow.

I installed the pantograph-locking bracket, fixing the spindle for milling operations.  For the smaller cutters, this arrangement should be more than stiff enough.

Enjoy,
Todd.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 01:51:22 AM by littlelocos »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2015, 03:01:09 AM »
Thanks for the pictures Todd. I can see how the head locks now.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal