Author Topic: RDG ER32 chuck for Myford  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
RDG ER32 chuck for Myford
« on: December 26, 2015, 01:25:30 PM »
My better third bought me one of these for Xmas. It's a nice piece of kit with a separate backplate so you can machine the register in-situ like a chuck. This morning I got it within a quarter of a thou, which will do me.

Just a word of warning if anyone buys one - on the website they give machining instructions, and they tell you to rough turn the register to an initial size of 1.38" and finish size it at 1.378" (just a tad over 35mm in real money). They give the same instructions for the ER25 version.

THIS IS THE WRONG SIZE!!

The bore on the back of the chuck itself is actually 42.1mm. I'm sure most people would (as I did) check before carving the register away, but just in case anyone didn't...

And yes, I've emailed RDG as well.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: RDG ER32 chuck for Myford
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 01:36:50 PM »
Judging by the pics. of Mytholmroyd, I wonder if they're OK.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3374506/Met-Office-issues-RED-killer-rain-warning.html

Dave

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 07:06:35 PM »
Allen

I have always wanted a ER 25 and see they have one.  This one looks like it has a very minimum overhang.  I was going to make a one piece.  Do you think the overhang could be reduced much by  one piece vs this style?  The catalog did not say but is the chuck part ground and hardened?  Also just curious is the nut a two piece ie a floating ring that catches the collet?

The reason I want ER 25 is I have a real excellent set of metric and inch that I use on my Clausing 8530 mill.

Thanks

Bob

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 12:41:00 AM »
I haven't drawn it up to check, but I don't think it could be much shorter without the back of the collet hitting the spindle.

I don't believe the chuck half is hardened or ground, just machined.

The supplied collet nut is a simple one-piece one - I have a couple of the ball-raced floating ones and I swapped it before using it because they tend to be easier to snug down.

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Bobsmodels

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 02:53:13 AM »
Allen

Thanks for the info, it probably is my best bet.  I was going to make it out of 4140.

Bob

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal