Author Topic: Suzanne needs your help  (Read 8238 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Suzanne needs your help
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 08:31:13 PM »
Jo looks like Suzanne was a "NEW" design to GLR in 2007. Thats the only company I have seen selling it under that name.

I know Diane is in contact with Willie so could see if we can get drawings from him, best make sure I don't say they are for you though :ROFL:

Sorry Cletus a few more names dropped, I suppose they have to keep things simple over your side of teh pond with names like #1 ;) Also the drawings are not hard to find, just hard to find at a price Jo wants to pay :LittleDevil:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 08:35:16 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2015, 08:48:35 PM »
:headscratch: Well I know my supplier has had these for nearly 20 years and he found them second hand so not GLR either... :noidea: And there are no Cast Iron castings in this set  :ShakeHead:

Its winter: moths don't breed very well in winter, they are already feeling lonely too many of their friends have not survived :(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 08:57:44 PM »
Jo do you have a Suzanne nameplate? if not then you really need to change the thread to Dora as it seems like its not a Suzanne.

Article is 20yrs old but does not say it had just been designed.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 04:39:51 PM »
No I do not have the Suzanne name plate but I am also missing one of the cross heads for Dora.

From what I understand this model engine is based on a model originally made by Maudslay, Sons and Field around 1815 to support their patent application for table engines. I would like to find out where their original model is  :)

Martin's drawings are normally very good so I am tempted  :embarassed:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 05:01:23 PM »
Looks like both the piston and valve cross heads are in the box though I would be tempted to change them both for steel.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 05:38:24 PM »

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 11:54:43 PM »
this model engine is based on a model originally made by Maudslay, Sons and Field around 1815

Jo,
Do you know if their patent was granted?  I'm familiar with the James Coombes Table engine and I thought that appeared around 1800, but then other sources say much later.  I'm curious who came first and got the patent.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2015, 03:37:57 PM »
 :( Well I have been in contact with GLR and they confirm this is one of their engines.

Sadly when the current owners took over in 2012 a lot of the drawings were missing including Suzanne. They are hoping that someone who has an engine set may get in contact with them for a replacement casting and they can do a deal to get the drawings back  :-\.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 04:22:12 PM »
So how can they tell its one of their Suzanne's and not a Dora, also puts your dates out?

Are there marked differences between the two that would stop it being built to Dora drawings and have they tried contacting Willie who did the drawings originally for Suzanne?

J

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 04:24:39 PM »
I don't know who Willie is, I am sure GLR doesn't either as they are hoping, as I said, to pick up a set of drawings from a past customer.

Jo
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 05:02:57 PM by Jo »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 06:25:47 PM »
Have you tried contacting the guy that built the one in your opening post? there are contact details on his website.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 06:41:05 PM »
Yes, he was in his 80's when he posted about his engines. His email address is now unknown and his pages are being hosted by a third party.

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2015, 08:14:44 PM »
I might have tracked down Willy  :whoohoo:

Typical just after I had decided to start drawing up my own version of the engine... why does it always happen like that  :Doh:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2015, 02:43:20 PM »
 :whoohoo: What a nice man  :whoohoo:

Drawings all arranged  8)

Jo

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2015, 08:47:31 PM »
this model engine is based on a model originally made by Maudslay, Sons and Field around 1815

Jo,
Do you know if their patent was granted?  I'm familiar with the James Coombes Table engine and I thought that appeared around 1800, but then other sources say much later.  I'm curious who came first and got the patent.

Cheers,
Phil
there is a book from 1829 that is called Historical and descriptive anecdotes of steam engines and of their inventors and improvers"  this has in the back a list of Patents in volume 2, I could look through it to see what comes up 1

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal