Author Topic: My Engine test centre powered by Airbrush compressor  (Read 8096 times)

Offline geoff5269

My Engine test centre powered by Airbrush compressor
« on: December 17, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
After building my engines I enjoy running them and testing how well they will run which usually means seeing how little air pressure they need or how slow they will turn, so gradually I have added different measuring devices and methods of testing. This lead to a confusing array of gadgets and wires so I thought it was time  to bring it all together so here is my test centre with every thing in one block.
I recently added a airflow meter and found the reading pulsated with piston rhythm so I decided I needed a buffer tank to smooth out the pulses, so I used a length of Ali box section and plugged the ends with Maple rebated in and sealed, This gave me a flat surface to add the other gauges and for it to stand up. To Test for leaks in the engine I charge the compressor up to say 5psi and stop the engine at TDC and see how much air is leaking out, and then try other positions and test them. You will notice my Airbrush compressor has 2 regulators, one set at 16psi and the other at the lower level you need and I found this keeps the pressure constant throughout the run. I leave it here for the moment and I might do a video.
Geoff 

Offline Thor

Re: My Engine test centre powered by Airbrush compressor
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 05:20:16 PM »
 Impressive testing facility you have Geoff, I just use a simple airbrush compressor, but you have given me a few ideas.

Thor

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 08:54:39 PM »
I like that Geoff and I have the same airbrush compressor. What is the max pressure you get out of yours? And where did you get the volume tank from?

Don

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 09:08:49 PM »
Don

Not uncommon. I had one until recently on a Badger Airbrush.

It looks much like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00DKYLO6M/ref=s9_dcbhz_bw_d0_g86_i1_sh

That manufacturer 'Wiltec' seems about right.

Maybe look at the US Amazon site ?

Dave

Offline cwelkie

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 09:25:04 PM »
Not only a nice test setup but a very nice engine too!
I like the combination of wood and metal ...  if you're doing it and not I
Charlie

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 12:12:40 PM »
Don
The compressor charges up to 4 Bar approx. 60 psi and clicks back on at 3 Bar approx. 44 psi but most of my engines run between 1 and 4 psi so I do have to hold it back a bit but I like to run them with no compressor noise and this charge can last up to 10 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the cylinder. I made the Tank myself but there are plenty of other vessels you could use.
A bit more info on the gauges, which I have bought on ebay cheaply, The rev counter uses a small magnet to trigger the counter so is easy to use, the module has to be mounted in a box of some sort and uses 9-12 volts. I have bought pressure gages that show 0-15 psi as these are clearer at small readings. The flow meters come in various types and I have modified this one to suit my use.
I found the only drawback of making your engines run freely is as they don't use much air they don't make much chuffing noise, if the engine is stiff it has to work much harder and the exhaust sounds better, but for Model Beam engines the goal is to make them run slow as they would have done originally.
Geoff

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »
For those who are interested I have made video of a few engines being tested as I'm trying to find a common test procedure so as to compare them. running at 1 litre/min seemed a good start to see what speed they would achieve and some would run with less than 1 psi .
Unsurprisingly the larger the flywheel the slower they could run.
Here is the video.<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlAuWxWogrU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlAuWxWogrU</a>
Geoff

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 04:53:51 PM »
That's awesome Geoff, and a very nice setup you have made............. :ThumbsUp:

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal