Author Topic: Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 222048 times)

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
Re: Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #1080 on: June 04, 2016, 02:11:20 PM »
Zee,

Some thoughts on electrical.  Put in a sub-panel. You will not be sorry later. Definitely have 220, even if just to the sub panel right now. Have separate circuit(s) for general lighting so that tripped breakers won't put you in the dark. You may have to work harder to make your builder understand what you want because...."What we usually do is..."

On the floor, I like the idea of a softer floor but have concrete. A smooth floor helps you find things, especially if you take a flashlight and shine it sideways a few inches off the floor.  If you can have heating in the floor, go for it. I wish I had worked harder against the "Usually.." concept with my builder when I built my shop/garage.

ShopShoe

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #1081 on: June 04, 2016, 02:56:09 PM »
This seems ripe for a new thread. Otherwise, a future reader may think that Zee is building a 220V, cement Monitor.
Best,
Stan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1082 on: June 04, 2016, 03:08:56 PM »
This seems ripe for a new thread. Otherwise, a future reader may think that Zee is building a 220V, cement Monitor.
With picture windows.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1083 on: June 04, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »
Thanks ShopShoe. A sub-panel ran through my head last night but I failed to ask about it. It's on my list.
The 220 will stay but only in such a way that if someone ever needs they can easily extend.

Good point Stan.  ;D

I'll start something in the 'My Workshop' once I have more questions or information. Or rather, once I know for sure this is no longer a dream.
I haven't gotten a number from the builder yet and although I have an idea of what it will be and a budget, surprises do happen.
Biggest concern are those people with the power (i.e. township, zoning, etc.)

Just saw your post Chris. Yes! Windows. With a bird feeder right outside. (Unless it attracts the squirrels. T would kill me. Squirrels raid her garden.)
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #1084 on: June 04, 2016, 04:17:34 PM »
Hmmm, living out the golden leaden years in southeastern PA wouldn't be my choice but I can understand not being able to find the perfect property at the right price in an area that provides scenery, safety and ready access to critical services.

Here are some random thoughts in no particular order...

Stop dropping tools!  What's with you guys?  Learn to work over your bench so, if a tool does get away from you, it falls no more than six inches.

220 is an absolute.  Someday you may want a welder or be given/find that heaven sent bargain tool that runs on it.  Someone has already mentioned lighting on a separate circuit (wish I had that in Garaj Mahal).  Put the workbench power strips under the front overhang, not behind the bench so that the cords won't snake across the mess on the top of the bench.

You want a stand-up, pound-on-it heavy bench as well as a sit-down bench for inspection/layout/polishing and other delicate tasks.  Put the latter under the windows and the former away from the windows so shrapnel from jobs done there won't take out glass.  A dirty bench well removed from the precision tools is a good idea.

Think about including an exhaust port/fan in the shop design.  Soldering and sulfurized cutting oil fumes need venting.

The shop man-door should open outwards and be fitted with a chime (to announce visitors).  That way it won't interfere with wall storage and can't be accidentally blocked from within, e.g. by your body when you collapse.  No exterior steps; if there are grade changes, specify concrete ramps.

Think about rafter storage; maybe even a mezzanine.

No built-ins.  Your chances of getting the internal organization right on the first try are zero (not an insult, it would be the same for me).  Put everything you can on wheels so it can evolutionarily adjust to your work habits.

Windows are nice but be sure they have opaque blinds.  Don't want the little miscreants casing all those fine tools before breaking in when you and T are in the Riviera to escape the PA winters.

On edit:

When they pour the pad for the shop, be sure to have them pour an outdoor pad where you can build a small shed to house the air compressor and store stock, etc..

A wash sink would be nice but maybe you don't want to mess with water lines living in an area where ice can exist outside a refrigerator.

Have them run a 3" PVC pipe from the shop back to the house so you can run telephone, intercom, audio, whatever lines when you wish.  Ferrets can be trained as wire pullers :-)

« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:20:48 PM by mklotz »
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #1085 on: June 04, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
Post a sign for the miscreants. "The really good stuff can be accessed by wearing long sleeves, gloves and letting your hair hang free. Then, lean over this lathe and press the big green button to open the vault"
Best,
Stan

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #1086 on: June 04, 2016, 04:45:03 PM »
Post a sign for the miscreants. "The really good stuff can be accessed by wearing long sleeves, gloves and letting your hair hang free. Then, lean over this lathe and press the big green button to open the vault"

Attaching the welder to the door knob when you're away might work too.

When I'm king and the Farallon Islands have been converted to a prison, the mandatory sentence for theft will be 25 years and you're not allowed to return to the country when released.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1087 on: June 04, 2016, 07:42:16 PM »
Hmmm, living out the golden leaden years in southeastern PA wouldn't be my choice
220 is an absolute.
Think about including an exhaust port/fan in the shop design.
The shop man-door should open outwards and be fitted with a chime (to announce visitors).
Think about rafter storage; maybe even a mezzanine.

We had considered moving elsewhere, but so much of the country is now, shall we say, incompatible. A cultural thing. There is good everywhere as evidenced by our members. The kids are nearby too and looks like they are sticking. The youngest has promised to take care of my behind when I no longer can.  :Lol:

220 will be available but not necessarily located for immediate use.

Exhaust fan! Good reminder.

Direction of door! Good reminder.

Raft storage was discussed.

Was going to put a sink in but laundry room will be next door with a tub sink. Good enough.

Thanks. All of this information from you and others is in a folder. (Including mounts and locations for fire extinguishers.)

"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #1088 on: June 04, 2016, 07:56:39 PM »
The kids are nearby and you consider that good!?  I laugh in your general direction.  Better put an inside dead bolt on that man door (in addition to the one T puts on the outside) and an on/off switch on the chime if you expect uniterrupted workshop sessions.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #1089 on: June 04, 2016, 08:02:39 PM »
Somewhere in here someone is, I think, building an engine  :)  :)  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1090 on: June 04, 2016, 08:35:31 PM »
Somewhere in here someone is was, I think, building an engine  :)  :)  :wine1:

A slight edit to your post Roger.  :-\

Shop is temporarily closed for renovation.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1091 on: June 04, 2016, 08:47:32 PM »

Attaching the welder to the door knob when you're away might work too.

When I'm king and the Farallon Islands have been converted to a prison, the mandatory sentence for theft will be 25 years and you're not allowed to return to the country when released.

If you flew the shop thieves all the way to the island prison, let them swim back!  :LittleDevil:

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #1092 on: June 04, 2016, 09:02:10 PM »
The Farallons are 30 miles off the coast of San Francisco.  Cold water and vicious currents plus the waters around the islands are breeding grounds for the great white shark.  Swimming would be a life-changing experience.

The beauty of this island is that we wouldn't need guards.  Just give the inmates their shovel, seed packets and a blanket, drop them off and let them create their own society (or murder each other; hardly matters).  I don't think law-abiding citizens should have to pay for room, board, security and, now, sex changes for criminals.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1093 on: June 04, 2016, 10:42:07 PM »
The Farallons are 30 miles off the coast of San Francisco.  Cold water and vicious currents plus the waters around the islands are breeding grounds for the great white shark.  Swimming would be a life-changing experience.

The beauty of this island is that we wouldn't need guards.

And if they do swim...they may be swimming towards Marv.
What better backup could we ask for?

It might be interesting to see  how California's tourism business is doing since the time he ran away from Pennsylvania.  :lolb: :lolb:

But if I'm ever in the area...I'd sure like to meet. So long as you have vodka...and plenty of it. But you're a gin drinker right?
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1094 on: June 04, 2016, 10:57:47 PM »
Oh - Zee, another VERY important addition to your new shop - make sure there is a nice little apartment for the shop elves to live in! Stock it with cookies and beer, couch, small TV set, and hope some good elves move in.   :DrinkPint:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal