Author Topic: Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 221986 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Re: Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #1050 on: May 01, 2016, 01:29:18 PM »
I'm sure that the new members are beginning to suspect that the "M" in "MEM" stands for "Monitor." with the three ongoing builds. Just to confuse them even more, Richie, my UPS guy, delivered some .125 plate which looks suspiciously like Monitor base frames.
Best,
Stan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1051 on: May 01, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »
I'm sure that the new members are beginning to suspect that the "M" in "MEM" stands for "Monitor." with the three ongoing builds. Just to confuse them even more, Richie, my UPS guy, delivered some .125 plate which looks suspiciously like Monitor base frames.

Looking forward to seeing your build Stan.
No fair doing then showing. Hoping for showing while doing.  :Lol:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1052 on: May 01, 2016, 02:27:08 PM »
We may need a new forum category for Monitor engines!

Will have to do a big family picture of them when all done.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #1053 on: May 01, 2016, 03:46:13 PM »
That are all looking great too. It's nice to see the different approaches in each build. Stan, I will look forward to yours as well.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1054 on: May 01, 2016, 07:33:14 PM »
This post is titled "How not to machine" subtitled "How to be stupid".  :slap:

I have no excuses. At the time I thought I was going to use a long end-mill to make the slot and while waiting for the end-mill to arrive I did some more machining of the part...making that narrow area.  :ShakeHead:

But I broke the end-mill and decided I'd try using a slitting saw. You already know the mistake.  :facepalm2:

Yes, I was worried about that narrow area. But I thought taking small cuts would get me through.
It didn't. 'Ping' and the end broke off.  :'(

Obviously, I should have waited to do the narrow area. And in thinking about what happened...I think some clamping and a machinist jack would have helped. The part was out sticking in the wind.

The other part shows how I was off when I sawed the first one.

So two bad parts. Worse...the stupidity.

I had considered not embarrassing myself with this admission. But if it helps other newbies...it's a win.

I slink away now.  :embarassed:

"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1055 on: May 01, 2016, 07:43:46 PM »
Yup, another case of machine the part from the end, working inwards, then cut off from big bar. Everyone has been there (or will be!) at one time or another - part of the learning curve (though it would have been nice to know about all the reverse curves and corkscrews in the learning curve!).   :wallbang:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #1056 on: May 02, 2016, 04:58:31 AM »
Carl, Thanks for posting this. Maybe, hopefully, I'll remember your post when, sometime down the line, I'm about to get myself into the same box!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #1057 on: May 02, 2016, 12:07:07 PM »
Zee
Remind me to show you my box of mismade parts. It is a part of learning to do this stuff.
One of my least favorites is turning the handles , watching the end mill cut and thinking "that doesn't look right" while continuing to turn the handles. My goal is to make fewer mistakes with each engine. Of course I then discover new ways to screw up a part. Unless it's some rare casting, the part can always be remade. Again and again.
Best,
Stan

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #1058 on: May 02, 2016, 11:57:51 PM »
Drats, darn, and aw shoot  :facepalm:. Zee,  if I didn't have a bin full of scrapped parts,  I wouldn't have any stock to keep building with.  Shirt happens  :mischief:

Cletus

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #1059 on: May 03, 2016, 12:33:40 AM »
Aw....bummer buddy, but s@%}}&£ happens buddy and your not the first to do it......... :drinking-41:

8) Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1060 on: May 03, 2016, 12:46:28 AM »
Aw I'm not too bummed. I feel pretty good getting this far without major disasters.
Most importantly, I still feel I'm improving. Without that I'd be done here.

It's a double win really. I learn from it...and hopefully others do too.

Not that I'd admit to all my mistakes. There are some uniquely stupid to me that no one would learn from.  :lolb:

But so far I've avoided those mid-western tombstones that begin with "hey watch me do this!"

"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1061 on: May 03, 2016, 01:14:14 AM »
But so far I've avoided those mid-western tombstones that begin with "hey watch me do this!"

Or "Look ma, no brain!", " How hard could that be?", "I could jump that!"...  :lolb:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #1062 on: May 03, 2016, 01:34:20 AM »

Or "Look ma, no brain!", " How hard could that be?", "I could jump that!"...  :lolb:

Well exactly. For some reason it reminded me of several episodes as a kid that would have taken me out of the gene pool.
Once was dropping a punk into a box of black cats. And then trying to retrieve it until I saw a fuse go.
Not as bad as the kid that dropped a spark into a box of m-80s. He also survived but the owners of many windows were not happy.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #1063 on: May 03, 2016, 01:52:35 AM »

Well exactly. For some reason it reminded me of several episodes as a kid that would have taken me out of the gene pool.
Once was dropping a punk into a box of black cats. And then trying to retrieve it until I saw a fuse go.
Not as bad as the kid that dropped a spark into a box of m-80s. He also survived but the owners of many windows were not happy.

Glad you were never a winner of the Darwin Award!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #1064 on: May 03, 2016, 03:01:53 AM »

Another way I've heard that stated is: "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"  :shrug:

Jim

PS: I think we can lay claim to some of that out West here, as well.
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal