Author Topic: Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 226553 times)

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Re: Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #945 on: April 07, 2016, 05:10:41 AM »
Carl for aluminium welded to HSS or carbide just mix a strong solution of caustic soda(lye to the us ensemble) and drop it in. Lye just loves to eat aluminium so don't mix it in aluminium pots:lolb:
I used this method a few times with drill bits and end mills due to the same problem.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #946 on: April 07, 2016, 11:10:28 AM »
Thanks Pete! Good to know.
It may be a while before I get to it...if I remember, I'll post results.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #947 on: April 07, 2016, 12:28:08 PM »
Just remember to use gloves and goggles too...lye will eat more than just aluminum!

Bill

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #948 on: April 07, 2016, 01:39:03 PM »

Probably too many rpms. I tend to feed slow. But to be honest, I don't really know what 'slow' is in this world. Still learning.

Here you are Zee one I took a few days ago, you can see how fast I am cranking about 3/4 through

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXk2zimLC2c[/youtube1]

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #949 on: April 07, 2016, 10:10:40 PM »
Looks like about 1 turn per second. So for 0.100" / turn that is 6 IPM. My mill is 0.167" / turn so I might use 2 seconds per turn.

Here is a pretty good speed and feed rate calculator:
http://www.custompartnet.com/calculator/milling-speed-and-feed

For a 1/2" 4 flute mill, 0.002" per tooth, or 0.008" / rev, 100 SFM gives 764 RPM spindle speed, and that is about 6 IPM. That seems comfortable to me, but some charts recommend 250-350 SFM for aluminum. The calculators and charts do not seem to have depth of cut (DOC) as a variable, and I think that depends on machine power and cooling/lubrication. This would result in cubic inches per minute, which may be most important when considering time required to machine a particular feature.

Probably most machinists ultimately use the senses of feel, sound, smell, and appearance (especially chip formation) to determine optimum speed, feed, and DOC. I usually err or the low side, as I enjoy the process and I have no time limitations, but sometimes going faster makes a better finish. I've played around with scrap material to see the results and gain experience.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #950 on: April 07, 2016, 10:40:31 PM »
Probably most machinists ultimately use the senses of feel, sound, smell, and appearance (especially chip formation) to determine optimum speed, feed, and DOC.

Yes. So it's about building experience. Slowly but surely I am.

Jason...your feed rate looks like about what I do. What was the rpm of the cutter? And thanks very much for the video.
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #951 on: April 07, 2016, 11:07:10 PM »
A start on the piston arms...

Squared up some blanks and drilled the holes. Bored the bigger one.
And darn it. I'd cut off some 1/2" stainless to use as a plug/measure. It wouldn't fit. Without moving the boring bar I just took another pass. Now the plug has a bit of play. Ah well. Should've known. Should still be okay.

Then did some milling with them sandwiched together...

After milling. I'm keeping the rounding of the big round end as last so I have something to hold onto for the other operations.

Milled the sides using a 1/4" end-mill. At this point I have to stop. The end mill I have is too short to do the other sides.
I'm thinking of doing them with a ball-end. Said ball-end having been ruined until I do Pete's idea.
I ordered one (not that I won't do Pete's idea anyway) as I needed to order an 1/8" end mill and some loctite.

That's all folks.

Just noticed that funny wire looking thing going across the picture. It's the nozzle of a WD-40 can.
"To work. To work."

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #952 on: April 08, 2016, 12:04:03 AM »
Nice work.  Looks like a snowstorm of chips you made there :ThumbsUp:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #953 on: April 08, 2016, 12:14:08 AM »
Oh! Do we have photos?   :lolb: Well looks good so far Zee. I hope you are still eating between these, It only took 23 post to get theses.  :stir: But I am glad to see some buddy........  :ThumbsUp:

8)
Don

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #954 on: April 08, 2016, 12:18:57 AM »
Gee, what's in that new vodka?  We have parts and pictures  :ThumbsUp: :cheers:. By jov,  the boy is on a roll.  I'm with Phil,  looks like the mill needs a beard trim and a haircut  :lolb:. I think that is why guys like Otto,  Max, Yogi,  and several others do such beautiful work;  they can do it without swarf  :lolb: :lolb: Had dinner yet?  8)

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #955 on: April 08, 2016, 12:29:28 AM »
Thanks guys.

Yes the swarf is pretty bad. I have a terrible habit of not cleaning up. When I do, it seems that the next part just replaces it all.
I'm just not setup to make cleaning easier. I hope to do that when I move into the other part of the basement...or even better...our next house.

Dinner...leftover roast chicken over salad with cucumbers, peppers, sesame seed, and some kind of Asian style dressing. Delicious.
Add to that some home-made french bread and Irish butter.

I could live on just french bread and Irish butter. With something to wash it down of course. But I say that about many of her dishes...and pizza.

Don..23 posts eh? Shall we see who was responsible?  :Lol:
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #956 on: April 08, 2016, 12:51:57 AM »
Looking good there Zee. Nice finish too. You are really making good progress!!

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #957 on: April 08, 2016, 01:31:54 AM »
For side milling as in Jason's video I use the side flutes of one of the many end mills I have with broken end flutes.   :facepalm2:  The side flutes generally last a lot longer.

For aluminum I crank up the RPMs.  Those "needle" swarf bits can really be a problem, more so with steel than aluminum.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #958 on: April 08, 2016, 01:36:51 AM »
Bill

Hm...one Bill with 4 pictures posted. Which one was worth it?

Those "needle" swarf bits can really be a problem, more so with steel than aluminum.

This was aluminum. And I notice that when I hit the cutter with WD-40...the chips change. More 'needly' as you say.
But what do you mean by 'really a problem'?
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #959 on: April 08, 2016, 01:57:00 AM »
Bill

Hm...one Bill with 4 pictures posted. Which one was worth it?

Those "needle" swarf bits can really be a problem, more so with steel than aluminum.

This was aluminum. And I notice that when I hit the cutter with WD-40...the chips change. More 'needly' as you say.
But what do you mean by 'really a problem'?

Just wait till you get some of the needly ones, especially in hot steel, sticking through your shirt sleeve (or worse). They hurt, hard to pull out!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal