Author Topic: Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 226738 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #825 on: March 19, 2016, 10:43:41 PM »
This is what I'm using Carl: http://www.a2zcorp.us/Needle-Cap-wred-scabbard-20-ga_p_59.html             
                                         http://www.a2zcorp.us/Bottle-Only-for-Needle-cap-14-oz_p_61.html

But then everything is smaller in "Sherline land"!   :Lol:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #826 on: March 19, 2016, 10:44:10 PM »
"Yay, the holes are in the right place."

Or as Gomer would say...."Shazammmmm!!"

Looking great to me Zee. Just think how challenging this project is and you are meeting that challenge.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #827 on: March 19, 2016, 10:51:41 PM »
Thanks Simon.

Jim, I actually have needles for every syringe as well. Probably would save on waste if I used them. Got no other use for them now anyway.  ;D

Bill...I have to be honest. I don't think the threading for the piston glands is very good. Might be good enough for air so I'm waiting until then to decide if a cylinder(s) redo is needed. I'm also concerned about the cylinder bores but again...might be good enough for 90 psi of air.  ;D

The challenge...yes...so far the biggest challenges have been in setups and figuring out how to work in the space limitations I have. So far, I feel 'lucky' and wondering when I find an 'oh crap'. That feeling is going away as I progress.

The other challenge is keeping on thread...but I've given up on that.  :lolb:
Never really tried anyway.  ;D Half the fun here is interacting with everyone.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #828 on: March 19, 2016, 11:08:09 PM »
Nice progress! Always a relief when the holes line up.

For the threads on the glands, if you are worried just about pressure leaks and not strength, then some thread sealant will do the trick. I used to use teflon plumbers tape, but from the steam train guys learned to use the loctite pst592 sealant, thick liquid that seals threads without glueing them in place. Good up to 400f, great with air or steam. Its easily removable, unlike loctite red/blue.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #829 on: March 19, 2016, 11:10:32 PM »
Golleeeeee.... and hot diggy dog Uncle Jed we done got us some piccys...... :lolb:
Mighty fine Zee and I should hope that your courage is going up with this challenge, seeing as you've make considerable progress.  8)

Don  :wine1:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #830 on: March 19, 2016, 11:13:12 PM »
Oh, and thanks for the Alien movie reference, that one scared the crap out of me. Friend (?) Of mine suggested seeing it, I thought it was just another scifi movie, was not expecting the horror side! Guy near us with huge bucket of popcorn left after the monster ate his way out of the guys chest. Kept waiting for the monster to come out of the cat at the end.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #831 on: March 20, 2016, 12:14:27 AM »
Oh, and thanks for the Alien movie reference, that one scared the crap out of me. Friend (?) Of mine suggested seeing it, I thought it was just another scifi movie, was not expecting the horror side! Guy near us with huge bucket of popcorn left after the monster ate his way out of the guys chest. Kept waiting for the monster to come out of the cat at the end.

I first saw it at a theater. When that happened, there was a distinct smell that several people 'lost it'.  :lolb:
Had to be embarrassing for them...but very understandable. I was young and kept control...nowadays...just bump me and I may embarrass myself.
Sometimes you don't have to bump me. Just turning a corner could be deadly for the next soul.

People say it sucks to get old...but it's nice to have the excuse.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #832 on: March 20, 2016, 12:22:33 AM »
Golleeeeee.... and hot diggy dog Uncle Jed we done got us some piccys...... :lolb:
Mighty fine Zee and I should hope that your courage is going up with this challenge, seeing as you've make considerable progress.  8)

Uncle Jed? You're as bad as Cletus.  ;D
I can't agree with 'considerable' progress, but thanks. Still plodding along. However slow, it's better than standstill.

And if anyone starts with an 'Uncle Zee'...you'd better be young and related, i.e. the one and only niece I have.
That, or within -5 years, +anything, female, and interested.  :lolb: It's that last part that generally breaks it.  :'(

Hey...another thanks for doing that thread on polishing.
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #833 on: March 20, 2016, 12:38:43 AM »
Reminds me of when my kids, when they were young, were laughing when my grandmother got up and sounded like a motor boat as she went down the hall.
Mom (my mom) taught them how that happens to people as they age and it really isn't funny. I'm thankful they understood.

There's been the occasion where I forget to zip up. (One of my top fears on my two lists of fears.)
Thankfully I haven't been in a position of "Oh did I forget my undies too?". Not as I recall anyway.

Two lists of fears...

The biggie...fire, knives, etc.
The more daily one...zipping up, boogies on my face, drooling, snorking, etc.

Bet you're wondering about 'snorking'. It's that embarrassing kind of laugh. Ha ha ha snork ha ha ha. Happens to all of us.
Is great to be human.
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #834 on: March 20, 2016, 01:10:57 AM »
Um....in the case of the last post...thanks for NOT including pics  :whoohoo:

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #835 on: March 20, 2016, 02:40:57 AM »

There's been the occasion where I forget to zip up. (One of my top fears on my two lists of fears.)

Hey Carl..................look at the bright side.....................that's still way better than forgetting to zip down!  :hammer bash:

Oh wait.........maybe that's your second fear!  :embarassed:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #836 on: March 20, 2016, 08:56:52 PM »
...that's still way better than forgetting to zip down!

No. Zipping up includes a risk of damage, pain, and even more embarrassment. Although I find this risk getting smaller as I age.  :lolb:

Had some good time in zee-land today.

Finished all the operations on the cylinders. But I still need to get the broken tap out of the one.

This was the setup to mill for the steam outlet gland. After doing the right one, I shifted everything over to do the left. I needed to keep some room inbetween them for the edge finder. The first one did not go cleanly. Dull end mill and quite a bit of metal was pushed up and out rather than cut. For the 2nd cylinder I used a new end mill. So nice.

After milling, I kept Y and used the edge finder to come in X for drilling to the vent and then drilling/threading for the gland.

Eyeballed when the drill made it to the vent. (I think I scribe too hard.) This also did not go so well for the 1st cylinder. I used a 1/64 under drill bit for the gland but the hole was large. Still managed to tap but I suspect the threads are fairly small. Might still work. I used the worse cylinder for all first time operations as practice in hopes that if I mucked up I could keep it to redoing just one cylinder.

As usual, I was out of Z height. So I set it on a parallel and used a square to line up. Just needed to be close enough.

I used the same eyeball technique to drill to the vent. Then milled out a pocket.

Wouldn't you know it. Last operation. The mess I'd made drilling the holes for the covers came back to haunt me.
Just a little too close for comfort so I just moved over a little. The vents are long enough not to be a problem.

Cleaned up a little and washed the cylinders. It was cool to see the water going where it should.
Loosely put together to 'admire'...

When I had the cylinders washed and dried, it sure was fun just playing with them in my hand.

Just a few minutes before 5. I think I'll go ahead and celebrate with a couple of 'stinking hoppies'.
Pretty good day.
"To work. To work."

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #837 on: March 20, 2016, 09:06:50 PM »
Zee look's to be good results to me buddy. So I think you deserved that stinking Hoppie.  :ThumbsUp:

:wine1:

Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #838 on: March 20, 2016, 10:13:20 PM »
Looking fine!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #839 on: March 20, 2016, 10:36:52 PM »
And seven..count 'em....seven pictures to boot. A nice afternoon's work Zee. Celebration is in order !!

Bill
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 01:12:36 AM by b.lindsey »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal