Author Topic: Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 226484 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #690 on: March 09, 2016, 10:51:16 PM »
Doing the dry run is a great suggestion, especially on wider parts, I've been burned on that in the past.

Cletus, one other thing to check is backlash on the feed screw, sometimes that can let the table wiggle and cause a little chatter, though leaving the locking screw slightly on helps as you said. Also check the verticalness of the column.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #691 on: March 09, 2016, 10:58:08 PM »
Exactly Chris, isn't this forum a wonderful place  :cheers:

Cletus

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #692 on: March 09, 2016, 11:00:58 PM »
Can you remove some of the screws holding the end covers in place?  If so you could clamp on the covers rather than on the glands projecting from the covers.  Doing so would provide much greater protection from the cylinder twisting in the vise jaws once you begin machining.  The cylinder would sit a bit higher in the vise but at least it wouldn't have such a small footprint on the vise jaws.  Whatever the final setup, take very, very small cuts.  Patience is a virtue.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #693 on: March 09, 2016, 11:10:49 PM »
Chris...thanks. Yep...this is the bottom flat for the frame. For the steam chest, I was going to use the steam chests to help size.
And you're right...there's a lot of metal flesh available.
I wasn't so much worried about interfering with studs (or even the bore)...it's more about lining up with the rest of the parts (piston/valve etc.)

Here's where I'm at...

I'm going to take the frame holder off the frame and see how it fits.

Cletus...I do need to work on the gibs a bit on the mill. But I'm pretty happy with it. I've got a good habit of making sure everything is locked down before starting a cut.

Problem is...sometimes I loosen the wrong lock when I go to adjust for a cut.

Bad bad bad when it's the Z lock.  :Lol:

And hey Cletus...it's Friday again.  :Lol: :DrinkPint:

Just saw your post Chris. I hadn't thought about the feed screw. I'll remember to check that.
Vertical-ness (?) seems okay. I was really pleased to see virtually no change in Y. And so far X is giving me good results. I think the tram is good (enough).

Also just saw your post Marv. Maybe my pictures aren't very good. I'm clamping on the covers. Not the glands (wouldn't want to as that would surely ruin the threads). Oh wait. I think I see what you mean. Clamp on the main part of the cover...not on (what I've been calling) the hub. Hm...yes...could have done that I think. It's not much of a small footprint though. The hub is about .8 in diameter and I'm on more than half of it. If I clamp under it...I think I'd actually have less to clamp on.

Anyway...things seem to have gone okay.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #694 on: March 09, 2016, 11:16:16 PM »
Verticalness, verticality, verticalityisityness, whatever, you get the idea! Check the tram.   :Lol:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #695 on: March 09, 2016, 11:21:22 PM »
Verticalness, verticality, verticalityisityness, whatever, you get the idea! Check the tram.   :Lol:

You've either got some secret ingredient in those cookies...or you're not drinking milk with them.  :lolb:
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #696 on: March 09, 2016, 11:25:50 PM »
"where I'm at" ??  You've been around Cletus too much. 

You might not be clamping on greater surface area but you would be clamping on a wider portion of the workpiece.  That means that the torque required to twist the piece would be greater.  In that sense it's more stable. 

Here's a little story, courtesy of Churchill, that you and Cletus should enjoy...

Little Johnny was upstairs, confined to his bed by a cold.  His mother, feeling sorry for him, decided to read him a story.  But, when she entered his room, he said, "Why did you bring that book that I don't like to be read TO OUT OF UP FOR?" 
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #697 on: March 09, 2016, 11:33:33 PM »
Hm. Yes, the frame is a bit wider than the flat I made. Shouldn't matter I guess.
But my real question is...

If the height of the cylinder bore's center changes relative to the parts that are connected to the piston rod...how much does it matter?

Without knowing more...I'll probably leave it as it. That is...0.100.

Dinner time! Which means the end of machining tonight.
Hopefully I can still pop into the forum...and bug some people.  ;D
My real hobby.

Just saw your post Marv. If you're down to commenting on my English...then I must be doing swell.  ;D
BTW...it's 'fer' in my part of the country.

Point taken on the 'wider portion of the workpiece'.

Gads...that's twice she's called out 'time for dinner'. Better get at it or there won't be dessert.  :naughty:
"To work. To work."

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #698 on: March 09, 2016, 11:47:09 PM »
Hey Marv,  where's the shaky pudding at dear?  :lolb:. I just adore this old chap.  BTW,  Grandpa,  what's for supper.  Y'all notice he didn't invite a single one of us  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #699 on: March 10, 2016, 12:08:52 AM »

You've either got some secret ingredient in those cookies...or you're not drinking milk with them.  :lolb:
Not supposed to ferment the milk?!   :cheers:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #700 on: March 10, 2016, 12:10:49 AM »
Plobano peppers, chicken, kernel corn, hot sauce, tortillas, cilantro, and shredded cheese. One of my favorites.

And no...I wouldn't invite anyone. I'd have to share.

I know that's selfish...but I'm only protecting you. It's in the genes. Think lions at a kill.

And no...I'm not protecting you. It's mine. All mine.

I'm thinking Chris has the same view with respect to his cookies.
Has to be. Otherwise, we'd have some.

Fermented milk? I'd never tired that..but first response is on the order of  :toilet_claw:
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #701 on: March 10, 2016, 12:14:16 AM »

If the height of the cylinder bore's center changes relative to the parts that are connected to the piston rod...how much does it matter?
Given that the conn rod will take up some vertical misalignment and the slot in the valve arm will too, then being within a tenth or so wont matter much. You can always adjust the arm hieghts half a smidge if needed.

My cookies. Mine.  Though if you guys drove all the way here to shoot the swarf, I'd share!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #702 on: March 10, 2016, 12:30:56 AM »
Nice to see more progress Zee. Glad you got the holding problem worked out. Hope it all continues to go smoothly.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #703 on: March 10, 2016, 12:42:07 AM »
Hope it all continues to go smoothly.

Bill
Don't bet on it Bill we get one piccy and three pages of banter and now he's getting started on food again. I can understand if he was a coonass like me because all we think about is food, but being a yank  :lolb: I just don't get it. Oh! Did somebody say crawfish season ........eating some this week end........ :Love:

Don  8)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #704 on: March 10, 2016, 12:57:21 AM »
Mmmmmm crawfish!! Just got up from dinner and now you got me hungry again. Am going to be down in your neck of the woods around the middle of June for a business meeting. Maybe I can enjoy some then :)

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal