Author Topic: Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 222005 times)

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #645 on: March 02, 2016, 01:16:13 AM »
OK this is an old picture but I just wanted to prove that swarfless machining does not always happen in my shop!

Thank you Dave! So nyah to you other fellows.

Still...even with all that swarf you're showing...it still looks clean.  :)

I would hate for you guys to be talking about me behind my back.

Uh...no one can see the PMs going around right?  :paranoia:

:cussing:

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #646 on: March 02, 2016, 01:18:35 AM »
Looking Good Carl

I would have turned the bearings after boring the pedestals though

Making notes for when I start my version.
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #647 on: March 02, 2016, 01:34:29 AM »

Thanks. And yes...that's what I'd usually do too. Didn't think it mattered much here. Easy enough to trial fit as I bore. Although my concern is burrs when I bore. If it doesn't work out...pretty easy to remake the bearings.

Stop with the notes. Make your version.  ;D

Certainly don't take notes off me. Other than..."remember not to do that" "remember not to do this"  :Lol:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #648 on: March 02, 2016, 02:06:42 AM »

Stop with the notes. Make your version.  ;D

Certainly don't take notes off me. Other than..."remember not to do that" "remember not to do this"  :Lol:

I have to save up to get some stock and also have a Tool grinding rest kit from Eccentric Engineering to build sometime.

The notes are pretty much as you have described   :mischief:
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #649 on: March 02, 2016, 10:47:35 PM »

Didn't think it mattered much here.

He was right and I was wrong.  :-[

Oh well. Easy enough to make another bearing.

And I'll have a use for the two I made.  :ThumbsUp:
Granddaughter likes my trinkets. Put them on a nice strap and she has a necklace.

Possibly a bigger win than this engine.  :lolb:

The problem was...I thought I could sneak up on the bore dimension for a close fit. I don't know if this is a characteristic of other boring heads but, there was no sneaking up. No way could I adjust for a thou. Soon as I loosened it...things moved several thou. Could not get back to where I was. The dial has at least 5 thou of slop in it and it was difficult to feel where it was last.

Perhaps there's a method I'm ignorant of?
[EDIT] I mean concerning this. There are many methods I'm ignorant of. I'm told this nearly every day.  :naughty:
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #650 on: March 02, 2016, 11:32:10 PM »
Zee, higher end boring heads would be more sensitive to fine adjustments, less backlash, etc. But not in my budget anytime soon. As with most things, accuracy and features don't come cheap.

Bill

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #651 on: March 03, 2016, 12:00:42 AM »

The problem was...I thought I could sneak up on the bore dimension for a close fit. I don't know if this is a characteristic of other boring heads but, there was no sneaking up. No way could I adjust for a thou. Soon as I loosened it...things moved several thou. Could not get back to where I was. The dial has at least 5 thou of slop in it and it was difficult to feel where it was last.

Perhaps there's a method I'm ignorant of?
[EDIT] I mean concerning this. There are many methods I'm ignorant of. I'm told this nearly every day.

Now a real model engineer would quickly cobble up a yoke to fit around the boring head body with a differential screw that bears on the slide.  With a 40/36 tpi combination, one turn of the screw (sounds like a novel I read in high school) would move the slide

1/36 - 1/40 = 1/360 = 0.0028"

With six divisions on the screw head one division would move slightly less than half a thou.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #652 on: March 03, 2016, 12:14:52 AM »
OK Chuck,  I have two boring heads;  an El Cheapo that came with the mill,  and a decently expensive Criterion. If I only loosen that middle set screw on both of them and then turn the adjusting screw,  both are pretty accurate.  Once again,  keep a little pressure on your moving parts  :mischief: :Jester: :lolb:

Cletus

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #653 on: March 03, 2016, 12:25:45 AM »
Zee, I have had the same experience with the boring head on the sherline, seems tough to get a percise measurement from it, I use the boring bar on the lathe rather than the boring head on the mill whenever possible. For big parts where that is not possible, do like you found and bore on the mill and make the matching part to fit that opening. Sounds like a common problem on small boring heads.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #654 on: March 03, 2016, 12:44:21 AM »
Chris, what zee describes is certainly an issue on the sherline borind head to me at least. But it will get the job done. Definitely not in the class with Criterion and similar ones.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #655 on: March 03, 2016, 12:48:40 AM »
I find the boring heads accurate and have ran test on them to see how mine performed before using them. I found that a dull cutter will not take .001" or .002" off until you increase the setting and then it takes off to much. It's like when it bites in it starts to cut. I have been using insert boring bars and have not had that problem. You still get your usual flex and have to take multi passes but taking off .001" I have no problem.

My two cents
Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #656 on: March 03, 2016, 12:50:14 AM »
As with most things, accuracy and features don't come cheap.

True. Although sometimes I think a bit more money up front saves a whole lot of time and heartache later.

Now a real model engineer

I know some of them.  ;D

OK Chuck

Another mark in the book for you Eric.  ;D
Know what happens when the book gets full? I burn it.  ;D

bore on the mill and make the matching part to fit that opening

Hear that Bruedney? Just like you said. Sigh.

The sad thing is...someone will say..."you won't make that mistake again" and I'll have to point out what a liar they are.  :Lol:

Just saw your post Don while I was writing. Maybe it's my method. I think the dial is worthless. Too much slop.
"To work. To work."

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #657 on: March 03, 2016, 12:57:40 AM »
I give, I'll cut the "Chuck" out  :naughty:  If you have an indicator that you can place against the tip of the boring tool you can tell exactly how much you are dialing in. Takes a little longer, but, it maybe worth it in the long run.

Cletus

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #658 on: March 03, 2016, 12:59:04 AM »
Zee what kind of boring head do you have?

On my smaller head, a Criterion; I never loosen it. I keep it snugged up just tight enough that I can still move it with an Allen wrench in the dial. And like any slide with a screw you need to take the back lash out of it. I never lock it down after dialing in the next cut; this may now be possible to do with your set up but I though that I would mention it. Wearing the Opti-Visor also helps when adjusting the next cut.  :old:

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #659 on: March 03, 2016, 01:00:26 AM »
I give, I'll cut the "Chuck" out  :naughty:

That means you have what you think is a better alternative.
I await with match in hand.  ;D
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal