Author Topic: Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 226664 times)

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
Re: Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #375 on: February 01, 2016, 03:45:26 PM »
Pretty soon Marv is going to jump in and talk (yell) to me about planning and thinking things through.

Would it make a difference if I did?
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #376 on: February 01, 2016, 08:29:12 PM »
« Reply #375 on: Today at 03:45:26 PM »

Quote from: zeeprogrammer on January 31, 2016, 10:10:28 PM

Pretty soon Marv is going to jump in and talk (yell) to me about planning and thinking things through.

For Zee or the rest of us  ;D

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #377 on: February 01, 2016, 10:18:15 PM »
Thanks all. You're a big help. Confidence has taken a hit...but not a big one.
We're good to go!

Why of course Marv. Measured as a scalar...huge. Measured as a vector...well I'll keep that to myself.  ;D

Sometimes a take takes awhile to take.

Otherwise I wouldn't need those cards above my machine with your excellent advice crayoned in.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #378 on: February 01, 2016, 11:16:11 PM »
Off to see Chris.
Hope he likes my cookies.

As I did. But I forgot the cookies. (Well I didn't forget...I don't have any!  :cussing: )

So I looked/studied/investigated his approach.

I see that when he did (what I call the outer hub) he drilled/reamed for the piston rod and also did the drilling/threading for the gland.
I don't see the work done for the (what I call the inner hub but is now known to be as the flange). i.e. the part of the part that acts as a register to the cylinder's bore.

What am I missing?

I'm thinking I'm good to go to make the flange and drill/ream the piston rod hole. Leaving the gland to figure out (for which I have some Marv non-approved ideas).

Chris...I wish I could send you some real cookies...but T won't make them again until Christmas.
"To work. To work."

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #379 on: February 01, 2016, 11:48:03 PM »
Off to see Chris.
Hope he likes my cookies.

As I did. But I forgot the cookies. (Well I didn't forget...I don't have any!  :cussing: )

So I looked/studied/investigated his approach.

I see that when he did (what I call the outer hub) he drilled/reamed for the piston rod and also did the drilling/threading for the gland.
I don't see the work done for the (what I call the inner hub but is now known to be as the flange). i.e. the part of the part that acts as a register to the cylinder's bore.

What am I missing?

I'm thinking I'm good to go to make the flange and drill/ream the piston rod hole. Leaving the gland to figure out (for which I have some Marv non-approved ideas).

Chris...I wish I could send you some real cookies...but T won't make them again until Christmas.
Hey Zee, don't worry about the cookies, I got lots!

I left the inner hub a touch on the small side. No matter what, there will be some errors (tolerances in enginerspeak!) In the parts. So I leave the inner hub small and use the piston and rod find thier own center for the assembly, and tighten the hub bolts to hold it in place. Add this to the Marv sayings on your post-its:
       Engineering is managing how tolerances stack up, and making them work as a whole.

Even if you drill the gland nut as tightened perfectly, how good were the threads aligned in each piece? When the nut is a partial turn farther out with packing or o ring in place, how is it aligned then? Wont be same. Leave play in key places to let you adjust fit as assembled. Get it hot with steam, and prts too tight, it will bind up. Look at the SR71, it leaks like a puppy when on the ground, doesn't seal till its hot. F1 cars are the other way, engine wont go unless prewarmed. Tolerances!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #380 on: February 02, 2016, 12:15:28 AM »
I left the inner hub a touch on the small side. No matter what, there will be some errors (tolerances in enginerspeak!) In the parts. So I leave the inner hub small and use the piston and rod find thier own center for the assembly, and tighten the hub bolts to hold it in place.

Even if you drill the gland nut as tightened perfectly, how good were the threads aligned in each piece? When the nut is a partial turn farther out with packing or o ring in place, how is it aligned then? Wont be same. Leave play in key places to let you adjust fit as assembled. Get it hot with steam, and prts too tight, it will bind up. Look at the SR71, it leaks like a puppy when on the ground

Thanks buddy. You're worth a cookie. (One of T's cookies...which says a lot.)

I recall reading several threads/posts that talked about 'fiddling' and I think that's exactly what you're talking about with respect to assembly/tighten.

As for the gland...yes...that's what's been bothering me. I just felt that drilling the gland in situ would be fine...but as soon as that gland has to be loosened or tightened...all bets are off.

I remember reading about the SR71...and seeing a photo on the ground. If they wait too long...no fuel.

Well enough spinning on this. Time to make swarf.

Which will be difficult in the short term. Since T got laid off, I'm helping her get setup in her own business. (She's doing fine...work is coming in.) And the little one is moving this weekend. So I think I'll be helping. They say they don't need me...but they need my truck. Really?...they think they can take my truck without me?

I'm thinking there's two women in my life that owe me some cookies.  :thinking:
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #381 on: February 03, 2016, 12:06:14 AM »
Well...this went far better than I had hoped. So far.

Finished the covers (except for the drill/thread for glands).
This is the inner hub, er...  :slap: flange. Drilled and reamed for 3/16.

As a test...I thought it would be cool to put both covers on a cylinder and see if a 3/16 stainless steel rod would be 'true'...

I tried both cylinders. Seems good?
A little binding which I take to mean a pretty close fit. I'm hoping a little run-in will make it good.

Unless I'm missing something here...I'm feeling pretty good.  :pinkelephant:

And so...

It's stinking hoppie time
It's stinking hoppie time
Zee, you and forum, too
And T says good grief woo
Let's wish it was a better rhyme
Cause it's stinking hoppie time.

:pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:
Yeah...I already started.
 :paranoia:
"To work. To work."

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #382 on: February 03, 2016, 12:11:08 AM »
I'd expect no less, 14 pages of indecision for a perfectly completed part. True Zee :pinkelephant:

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #383 on: February 03, 2016, 01:36:38 AM »
I'd expect no less, 14 pages of indecision for a perfectly completed part.

Indecision requires decision.  ;D

Thanks bud.
"To work. To work."

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #384 on: February 03, 2016, 01:43:18 AM »
And Celebration!

Nice work Zee :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #385 on: February 03, 2016, 01:44:14 AM »
How about some King Cake Zee, I like cookies but King Cake Mmmmm. It's Mardi Gras time down south and we do love to eat. The King Cake is one of our favorites this time of year.
Oh! Did you make some progress Zee? I hardly notice with all the banter we been doing. Looking good buddy.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #386 on: February 03, 2016, 01:59:41 AM »
Thanks Dave.

Oh! Did you make some progress Zee? I hardly notice with all the banter we been doing.

:facepalm:

Thanks Don.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #387 on: February 03, 2016, 03:20:32 AM »
Nice! Keep the parts coming, and you can have another hopping stinkie, or whatever you call it...!  :cheers:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #388 on: February 03, 2016, 11:43:02 AM »
Nice! Keep the parts coming

Thanks. I put a little oil on, ran the rod back and forth, and rotated some. Didn't take much to run fairly smooth.
Getting scary now. For me it was a lot of work getting here...boo-boos forcing redo(s) are no doubt lurking.

and you can have another hopping stinkie, or whatever you call it...!

That's 'stinking hoppie'. A 'hopping stinkie' is when I run out of vodka and  :rant:

"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #389 on: February 03, 2016, 12:11:15 PM »
Nice work on the cylinder and heads Zee. The rhyming can use a little work though :)  Fortunately, we aren't a poetry forum...preferring (so it seems) cookies, scottish produce, curry dishes, chicken livers, and the occasional bit of metalworking  :stir:

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal