Author Topic: Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 222051 times)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Re: Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #360 on: January 31, 2016, 10:14:29 PM »
Carl doesn't the cylinder cover have a register to keep it aligned with the cylinder bore? I don't have the plans in front of me to check.

Yes Don that method would be asking for trouble and that's why I would prefer the method Chris used.

Vince

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #361 on: January 31, 2016, 10:18:57 PM »
Carl doesn't the cylinder cover have a register to keep it aligned with the cylinder bore? I don't have the plans in front of me to check.

Yes Don that method would be asking for trouble and that's why I would prefer the method Chris used.

Vince
Yes at the stage he's at, I do agree that Chris's method would be his best option.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #362 on: January 31, 2016, 10:25:17 PM »
Carl doesn't the cylinder cover have a register to keep it aligned with the cylinder bore?

Yes. What I've been calling the inner hub. I've made them for the two covers that don't have holes. They fit nice.
I haven't started on the two covers that take the glands and piston rod. Only the outer hub for them.

Yes at the stage he's at, I do agree that Chris's method would be his best option.

And my most sincere apologies...Who is Chris?  :-[
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #363 on: January 31, 2016, 10:27:26 PM »
The guy you been calling crueby........

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #364 on: January 31, 2016, 10:28:31 PM »
Chris = Creuby

Vince

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #365 on: January 31, 2016, 10:43:51 PM »
Ok Zee, this is how I would of made the cylinder cover. Chuck up a parent stock in the lathe, measure the thickness of cover after facing the stock, add some for facing later and mark with cutoff. Face front of cover or profile it to my liking. Drill the smallest diameter which is the shaft size to a depth pass the cutoff point. Drill for the gland nut and tap. Start cutting the back side of the cover pass the cutoff point so a mic can fit. Start cutting flange diameter slowly till it mic's to you bore diameter. Cutoff from parent stock.......turn around in Chuck and face off.
If you measured the bore properly to flange should fit nice and snug. You could also make you gland nut first and the drill out to cylinder shaft size. This would put it as true as I could get it.
If you have a problem with overhang in lathe cut enough to Chuck and make one cylinder cover at a time. Some waste yes but you get to do it in one sitting....

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #366 on: January 31, 2016, 11:10:33 PM »
The guy you been calling crueby........
Chris = Creuby

Ah...thought so but wasn't sure. In which case I would have replied...

Can't you use the same method that Chris used?

What? Eat mint chocolate chip cookies?  :lolb:

Ok Zee, this is how I would of made the cylinder cover. Chuck up a parent stock in the lathe, measure the thickness of cover after facing the stock, add some for facing later and mark with cutoff. Face front of cover or profile it to my liking. Drill the smallest diameter which is the shaft size to a depth pass the cutoff point. Drill for the gland nut and tap. Start cutting the back side of the cover pass the cutoff point so a mic can fit. Start cutting flange diameter slowly till it mic's to you bore diameter. Cutoff from parent stock.......turn around in Chuck and face off.
If you measured the bore properly to flange should fit nice and snug. You could also make you gland nut first and the drill out to cylinder shaft size. This would put it as true as I could get it.
If you have a problem with overhang in lathe cut enough to Chuck and make one cylinder cover at a time. Some waste yes but you get to do it in one sitting....

Thanks Don. I'm not quite sure I follow...but certainly the idea of cutting off 2.25 diameter material from parent in the lathe scares the bezeebers out of me.

When I did the outer hub that may have been when I should have done the drill/thread for the gland. See if this sorta matches...

1) Chuck in the lump. Just oversize to allow for facing.
2) Face.
3) Turn outer hub.
4) Drill/thread for gland.
5) Thread the gland in.
6) Flip.
7) Face to overall size.
8) Turn inner hub to fit cylinder.
9) Drill/ream through for piston rod.

Ah crap. That'd just unwind the gland.

Off to see Chris.
Hope he likes my cookies.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #367 on: January 31, 2016, 11:50:32 PM »
Wow, go do other stuff (yes, including eating those cookies) and I miss a ton! Sounds like thngs are gelling in your mind about how to go.

One big thing to keep in mid - the gland nut is there to compress the packing (or hold the o ring in place, depending which you use), it in itself doesn't have to be a tight fit on the piston rod. I like to have it bored a bit oversize to make sure it does Not rub on the piston rod. In fact, when I use a viton o ring for the seal, which is always now, I leave both the gland nut and the cover hole a thou or two large on engines with a crosshead guide. This one doesn't, but the offset from the lever arm is small.

And yes, crueby -= Chris Rueby, the happily-retired-cookie/engine/carving/rifle/clock/boat maker, but that is all too long to type much!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #368 on: February 01, 2016, 12:03:39 AM »
Zee you can always remove from the Chuck and cut it then put it back to finish facing it. You would have all the holes drilled by then and the flange done, so the facing off doesn't have to be true. Only flange, gland and cylinder shaft hole.
Another way is to do the flange first and fit to the cylinder then drill cylinder shaft hole and cut to length. Rechuck to cut the cover profile and then drill the gland hole and tap. Since the hole was already drill with the cylinder shaft size the bit will follow it. This is how I did my Eastern and Anderson cylinder cover.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #369 on: February 01, 2016, 01:23:18 AM »
One big thing to keep in mid - the gland nut is there to compress the packing (or hold the o ring in place, depending which you use), it in itself doesn't have to be a tight fit on the piston rod. I like to have it bored a bit oversize to make sure it does Not rub on the piston rod.

Thanks Chris. And apologies again for not knowing (although I suspected) who you were.
Lets hope I don't ever have to deny knowing you.  ;D

Thanks Don. I think I follow but have to admit I'm getting confused. I was using the term 'cover', or 'cylinder cover', as called in the plans. Same as flange?

Can't help but feel some people may get impatient with me. Sorry if that's the case.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #370 on: February 01, 2016, 01:38:24 AM »
The flange is the thin part of the cover.  :old:

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #371 on: February 01, 2016, 01:48:21 AM »
Can't help but feel some people may get impatient with me. Sorry if that's the case.
No, no buddy were are with you through this learning process, if we make you feel like that were are not doing something right. I do apologize for making you feel like we're are impatient with you, as that is not my intentions. Just trying to get you to think things through. I was once told when I was younger my hands were faster then my mind and it struck a nerve. I try real hard to reason things out before making the move by hand. And it has payed off in the long run and the teacher that told me this was one of the best teachers I ever had. Don't ever feel like anyone is impatient with you, it would mean we a not helping or teaching you.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #372 on: February 01, 2016, 02:03:59 AM »
The flange is the thin part of the cover.  :old:

Ah...the part I've been calling the 'inner hub'. Thanks.

Don...thanks bud. This whole thing has been a big help to me.  (And I wasn't accusing anyone.) Learning a lot. And I have to admit I'm feeling pretty good with my progress. Whether my approach or method is 'incorrect'...I feel my skills are improving. Very important!

I'm still a little stuck about the gland.

I intend to make the flange (to fit the cylinder) and drill/ream. That will make the piston rod true (I hope).
It's really about the gland. And given what Chris said...maybe not so much an issue.

Well time for Downtown Abbey.
"To work. To work."

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #373 on: February 01, 2016, 05:03:53 AM »
No, no buddy were are with you through this learning process, if we make you feel like that were are not doing something right. I do apologize for making you feel like we're are impatient with you, as that is not my intentions. Just trying to get you to think things through. I was once told when I was younger my hands were faster then my mind and it struck a nerve. I try real hard to reason things out before making the move by hand. And it has payed off in the long run and the teacher that told me this was one of the best teachers I ever had. Don't ever feel like anyone is impatient with you, it would mean we a not helping or teaching you.

Don

Thanks for saying that Don. You said it better than I could.

Pete

« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 05:14:45 AM by 10KPete »
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline larry1

« Reply #374 on: February 01, 2016, 06:06:40 AM »
   Don,  This is my thanks for putting the good word out.  I'm  worse than pete at using words and my spelling terrible.  larry
larry, southeastern kansas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal