Author Topic: Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 226688 times)

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
Re: Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #285 on: January 28, 2016, 12:34:12 AM »
Paul, you're right, your pictures... sorry! 

Joe

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2016, 01:04:55 AM »

I think zee is using an A2Z qctp, I have same one, had to modify it to keep it from twisting during cutoff or boring operations on my sherline. Zee, make a pen line at its base, when things change see if toolpost turned slightly. Drove me nuts till I figured out a fix for it.
I got the same A2Z QCTP and yes they have a habit of slipping. I made a round flat steel insert for the inside bottom. The swivel top has only a small surface to lock it with the bottom, this is aluminum to aluminum and slips and wares. Hasn't slipped since my insert.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #287 on: January 28, 2016, 01:27:26 AM »
I think zee is using an A2Z qctp, I have same one, had to modify it to keep it from twisting during cutoff or boring operations on my sherline.

Yes. A2Z.

I got the same A2Z QCTP and yes they have a habit of slipping. I made a round flat steel insert for the inside bottom. The swivel top has only a small surface to lock it with the bottom, this is aluminum to aluminum and slips and wares. Hasn't slipped since my insert.

Aha! You know...while I was working, it kept creeping into my mind that the boring bar was moving (turning). I hadn't confirmed because once in a while (for experimentation) I fiddled with the bar.

Tell me more. How did you modify yours Crueby? And Don...what do you mean by 'round flat steel insert for the inside bottom'?

Thanks Cletus, Joe, yogi, and Paul.

On a different note...I may be facing a crisis.
I work in the basement...right next to the stairs...next to the basement fridge, freezer, and more importantly...wine storage.
The family is beginning to notice the swarf.
I may have to move to the other side of the basement.

It didn't help that tonight I complained of swarf in my shorts.  :shrug:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #288 on: January 28, 2016, 01:33:24 AM »
On mine I added an aluminum plate to the bottom, out the side, with a slot to bolt through into the t slot. Could also put a horizontal slot for a hold down clip. Quick and dirty fix is to put a thin sheet of wet or dry paper underneath the post to give it some grip to the table.  I asked a2z about it once, they said to put a sheet of notepaper under it. Does help, but crappy design work!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2016, 01:37:37 AM »
Not sure how you are getting swarf in your shorts; but if you pick up and move shop is it going to help solve this?
I guess you could just deliver the wine up stairs when required and tell the ladies to say out of my shop!  :lolb:  Well maybe not.

If you do move we would like to see some nice pictures.

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2016, 01:39:53 AM »
Not sure how you are getting swarf in your shorts; but if you pick up and move shop is it going to help solve this?
I guess you could just deliver the wine up stairs when required and tell the ladies to say out of my shop!  :lolb:  Well maybe not.

If you do move we would like to see some nice pictures.

Dave
Pics of shop, not the swarf!  :o

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2016, 01:41:20 AM »
Yes please the shop!!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #292 on: January 28, 2016, 01:41:58 AM »
I have the A2Z set as well though a smaller version for the Sherline lathe. A sandpaper washer under the toolpost does keep the toolpost from turning which can be a problem I agree. The other thing mentioned is the boring bar itself rotating within the tool holder.  My boring bar tool holder has a round hole for a 3/8" diameter boring bar. One thing you might consider it milling a flat on the top of your boring bar where the set screws bear against it. Or...if you want to spend a bit consider the A. R. Warner boring bar available in a few sizes depending on the hole size in your boring bar holder. It already has a flat machined along the top of the bar which prevents the tool rotating within the holder. Also uses the HSS inserts. I now use it for all boring operations on the lathe. Link is here: http://www.arwarnerco.com/p-16-kit-12-38-inch-boring-bar-t.aspx

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2016, 01:49:28 AM »
On mine I added an aluminum plate to the bottom, out the side, with a slot to bolt through into the t slot. Could also put a horizontal slot for a hold down clip. Quick and dirty fix is to put a thin sheet of wet or dry paper underneath the post to give it some grip to the table.  I asked a2z about it once, they said to put a sheet of notepaper under it. Does help, but crappy design work!

I seem to remember an old thread/post that mentioned that. Yeah..crappy design work...but if it works?
Not sure if it's the tool post moving though. Seemed more like the boring bar was twisting.
I'll check though. I have gotten some (screaming/squealing) noise that reminds me of the tool post not being right.

But I'm within 10-20 thou of getting to the diameter I want. And so far so good.

Wow...3 days to bore a 1" hole. Isn't that a record?  :lolb:

Just saw your post Dave. If/when I move...there will be pics. I may wait until I get my new mill though.
(I 'tell' my ladies nothing. I can only suggest.)

crueby...sure...pics of shop...not swarf. I know I'm not the only one who knows what swarf in the shorts looks like.
We're all the same under the skin.  :lolb:

Geesh...I'm a fast typer but you guys are really keeping me busy.
Dave...yes. Not to worry. The shop. I wouldn't want anyone to get too excited. (For the wrong...right?...reasons.)

Bill...thanks! I think that's a great idea. I'd also noticed that it was more difficult to remove the boring bar because tightening the holding screws would kick up metal.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #294 on: January 28, 2016, 01:51:00 AM »
Bill, my larger bar looks like that one, it is labeled as a Sandvik brand. Bet one company oems them around. Works very well. Also have a smaller one that I got from a retired machinist, labeled as C.M.C., is half the diameter, works great too. For short bores in very small diameter the cutters from adjustable boring head are handy.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #295 on: January 28, 2016, 10:55:43 PM »
T made hot wings last night.
I went through the extremes of joy and pain.
Right thumb (my wing holder) burned like the devil.
But I couldn't see anything.
Did the dishes. Burned like the devil.
Still didn't see anything.
Wondered about a splinter (I remember the huge blister I got from a brass splinter...but I wasn't working brass.)
Woke up in the middle of the night with same pain.

The morning showed I'd sliced my thumb. Tiny...but gee whiz.
A little Neosporin and much improved. (I'm talking pretty tiny. The hot sauce must have ate away at it.)

That's right. Nothing to see here. Just yapping.

I'm sure more than one of you remember 'gee whiz'.  :lolb:
"To work. To work."

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #296 on: January 28, 2016, 11:24:25 PM »
Don...what do you mean by 'round flat steel insert for the inside bottom?

Zee I will take it apart and post some photos for you tomorrow. Did you enjoy your hot wings? I found a tabassco buffalo wing sauce that is outstanding for hot wings. I get to wife to make it once a week.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #297 on: January 28, 2016, 11:34:53 PM »
Zee I will take it apart and post some photos for you tomorrow. Did you enjoy your hot wings?

Thanks Don. Don't go to too much trouble.

And yes...despite the pain...the hot wings were great. She just uses Frank's...but I'm thinking there's more to it.
"To work. To work."

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #298 on: January 28, 2016, 11:58:19 PM »
Try this stuff, I attached the photo.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #299 on: January 29, 2016, 01:24:28 AM »
Thanks Don. I will tell the cook.  ;D

Where did you get it?
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal