Author Topic: Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 227512 times)

Offline kvom

Re: Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2016, 03:08:24 AM »
For the slots chain drilling makes sense, esp. as they are deep.  Without holes chip clearance is a problem.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2016, 12:11:39 AM »
So far so good.

Slot went easier than I'd thought. Chain drilled then went through with a 3/8 end-mill and moved to the other end.
Still making progress. Both legs are slotted and have their mounting holes.
All that's left is the bearing hole and the two rectangular holes.

Gotta say this is nerve wracking. Certainly because of my lack of experience.
Sure hope I'm not jinxing myself.

I am somewhat bothered by the noise of the drilling operations. Smaller drill bits, say 1/4" or smaller seems to go fairly noiselessly.
But above that and there's a whole lot of shrieking going on.
I don't go straight for the biggie. I try to step up to it. Still.
Speed too fast?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2016, 12:23:35 AM »
Could be speed but can also be that there is some chattering especially when starting through a pre-drilled hole with a larger drill bit but that could depend on the size differential too. Lots of variables could be the culprit, but it looks like you surmounted the obstacles in any event Zee!! Looking good.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #123 on: January 11, 2016, 12:24:03 AM »
Speed may be the issue, though are you using oil on the drill bit? A good cutting oil will help clear chips and cool the bit. Cutting dry can dull the bits a lot faster. A dull bit will cut slower and noisier too. Years ago I invested in a good set of cobalt alloy bits, they have worked better than any others I've owned. Pricey but not bad if you can find them on sale.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #124 on: January 11, 2016, 12:31:48 AM »
Some thing I want to point out Zee, is when you hear shrieking your taking a chance of breaking the bit.
Move the feed in and out to clear the chips or it could break on you. A little lube would help.

Don

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #125 on: January 11, 2016, 01:17:21 AM »
Zee
One part at a time. If it's not right, make it again. Eventually, you'll have a complete box 'o parts.
I keep reminding myself that I'm not on piecework. When it gets done, it gets done.
If you have any more parts that are larger than your mill can comfortably handle, less than an hour's drive will get you to my Bridgeport with DRO. Anytime.
Best,
Stan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #126 on: January 11, 2016, 01:46:04 AM »
Thanks all.
Just came down to confess explain my procedure. Right or wrong.
And I see a number of friends have posted.

As for lube, I was using WD-40. Drilling through aluminum.
I also think I have a pretty cheap set of drill bits. That may not be an excuse, but they've been abused used.

My question was really more about other drilling operations. For which your comments are helpful.
In this case...I didn't step up in drills.

What I did...

The slot is 1.5" inches center-to-center.
I went along with a center drill every 1/4".
Then I went along with a 5/16" drill bit. It actually didn't shriek as much as other operations I've done.
Initially I drilled, that is, plunged, a little too fast. Got some smoke and stalled the mill.
I took it slower. Wondering if a 5/16" drill spaced 1/4" was wrong. Kept hitting with WD-40.
Then I went to the 3/8" end-mill. Plunged at one end (slowly) then moved to the other end.
Then went back to the initial end.
That went pretty well. I could tell when the end-mill was hitting more of the material left between drill holes.
But otherwise, it went pretty smoothly. I'm pretty happy actually. Read that as ecstatic.

Breaking a drill bit was constantly on my mind. I really don't want a piece of metal flying by.
That's happened and I lost a good pair of shorts. Shorts are replaceable but I and the few left functioning parts I have are not.  ;D

Bill...I do wonder about size differential. I read about people step drilling but I can't say I've read much about the size of step. Thoughts?

Thanks for the offer Stan.

Thanks again all.

"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #127 on: January 11, 2016, 02:59:11 AM »
One thing to watch for in aluminum is sometimes you'll get a bit of metal sticking to the lead edge of the bit, especially without enough lube, which can cause the noise and heat since rather than the steel cutter edge you've got dull aluminum for the edge. Stopping and clearing that off will get it cutting clean again. I have never used wd40, but it should work. I get it a lot with some alloys more than others, on both drills and mills, usually a sign I'm pushing the cut too hard. With time you'll develop an ear for how well the cut is going. Things get too hot, take a break and check sharpness, etc. Too much heat and you'll wreck a bit. Been there, done that....!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #128 on: January 11, 2016, 03:03:22 AM »
One thing I want to warn you about the use of WD40 is that it is highly flammable, so use it with caution. We used this stuff as starting ether to start engines.

Don

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #129 on: January 11, 2016, 03:08:26 AM »
One thing to watch for in aluminum is sometimes you'll get a bit of metal sticking to the lead edge of the bit, especially without enough lube, which can cause the noise and heat since rather than the steel cutter edge you've got dull aluminum for the edge. Stopping and clearing that off will get it cutting clean again.

Thanks. That could have been the case. It wasn't until the 3rd hole that things went awry. After that, I used more WD-40, took it slower, and clean up more often.

As in most things...the slow hand wins.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #130 on: January 11, 2016, 03:24:04 AM »
One thing I want to warn you about the use of WD40 is that it is highly flammable, so use it with caution.

Well that's interesting and a bit worrisome. I mean, I know it's flammable but is it possible to flame up during an operation?
Has anyone gotten a fire started while machining? I mean by drilling or milling too hot?

I have to admit I'm in the basement and the furnace is less than 15' away. So I monitor fumes. Whether natural or not.  ;D
All I have down here is the WD-40 and some oils. Small quantity. I keep everything else in the garage (no shed) and well ventilated.

I'm glad to have a fire extinguisher close by (and near the exit)...but frankly the need to use it means it's too late.
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2016, 11:38:37 PM »
A milestone. Unfortunately it's a zee-mile (5281 feet).  :lolb:
Or for my friends in metric-land...a zee-kilometer (1001 meters).

This was the operation I was most concerned about. But it went well. At least after I realized my setup was wrong.  ;D
I've only used the boring head once before.

Bearing hole.

An operation a day it would seem. If not an operation a week. But I'll get there.

The boo-boo? Well first off, let's speak in plural.

1) Dad blast it. Make sure the boring tool is locked in.
2) Dad blast it. You have to make sure the cutting edge is perpendicular to the metal. Took me a few goes to realize what all the funny noise was about.
After that it went smooth. Such a joy when cuts are clean, the noise sounds right, etc.
3) Dad blast it. I added a foot to my zee-mile. The hole is slightly overlarge. But that can be taken into account when I do the bearings. And I'd much rather redo bearings than these frames.

Now I just have the two rectangular bits to cut out. Whether it goes awry or not...I'm thinking the frames will be good. (Again, hoping I don't jinx myself.)

Really...I'm feeling kind of  :pinkelephant:
Just boring a hole...but it's my hole.
Mine.
All mine.

Uh...what's with the guys and white coats?
"To work. To work."

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #132 on: January 11, 2016, 11:58:44 PM »
Good going buddy, you know the saying "cut once measure twice". Still watching you............

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #133 on: January 11, 2016, 11:59:22 PM »
Nice! Just look forward to how much your face will hurt from the huge smile the first time the engine runs!   :cartwheel:

My version of the Dad-blast-it last week: make sure the cutter is sharp. Took me a couple tries at starting the bore to figure out why it was trying to deflect in, swapped cutters and nice chips.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2016, 12:16:49 AM »
Go Zee,  Go Zee, sounds like a hit rap song  :lolb:. That's why you always bore first,  you can always turn to fit  :old:

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal