Author Topic: Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 222040 times)

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
Re: Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #540 on: February 17, 2016, 01:52:48 AM »
Zee, I may lie to you about a lot of things, but, Otto's nuts ain't one of them: they is top of the line, finest damn nuts I ever seen, just ask Stan. Hell, he even bragged to his wife about them, I ain't pooping you ;).

Cletus

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #541 on: February 17, 2016, 07:43:30 AM »
For holding glands which are adjustable I use a full (height) nut with single chamfer followed by a lock (2/3rds height) nut with double chamfer

Union nuts for steam pipes I would have a turned section either side of teh hex much like the bottom of Dave's nuts and both chamfered.

General nuts chamfer the top only but use a washer below so the unchamfere dside does not mark the surface, dome the end of studs

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #542 on: February 17, 2016, 10:49:50 AM »
Thanks Jason. Very helpful.

I agree Eric. And good to see ya.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #543 on: February 18, 2016, 11:59:42 PM »
Not to sidetrack this thread further...but it ain't got no track!!!  :ROFL:

As I recuperate I've been looking at a number of Julius's drawings (fun stuff!).

One of the engines has a brass slide valve against an aluminum cylinder port.

On my horizontal mill engine, the cylinder port is also aluminum. But it has a brass plate between it and the slide valve.

In the first case I see two dissimilar metals (brass slide valve on aluminum).
In the latter case it's brass slide against brass.

I also saw an engine build using plans that had the brass slide valve against aluminum cylinder port but the builder put in a brass plate in between.

So I'm confused and would be interested in member's thoughts. (About this...some of you can keep your thoughts to yourselves.  :lolb: )

"To work. To work."

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #544 on: February 19, 2016, 12:01:17 AM »
 :pics:
Or you could bribe my with some cookies......

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #545 on: February 19, 2016, 12:13:57 AM »
Zee, assuming both surfaces are very smooth and there is some lubrication in the air or steam, I doubt it makes much difference given the low running time most of our models see. If it was running 24/7, might be a different matter. With that much run time though, thinking of steam locos, it seems piston valves were more prevalent.

As to going off track...I will be nice and not comment other than to say hope you are feeling better  ;)

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #546 on: February 19, 2016, 12:21:57 AM »
We'll, if you're not referring me  :stir: I confer with Bill. As long as the surfaces are smooth and parallel, in our world, anything would work. IMHO

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #547 on: February 19, 2016, 01:13:34 AM »
Or you could bribe my with some cookies......

Sorry Don. I never bribe with cookies. They are mine. Would crumbs do? Oh wait...never mind. I leave my plate spotless.
How about....nah. I'll get some pictures together.

Thanks Bill. I kind of thought so. Still seems some kind of plate would be appropriate. Maybe because with two sliding surfaces...if something wore then it would be easier to replace than remaking a cylinder. (Just learning.)

We'll, if you're not referring me

Never would.  :lolb:
"To work. To work."

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #548 on: February 19, 2016, 01:57:35 AM »
Given the very low forces on the valve plate I doubt it will be a problem. When running on steam, the inline oiler will keep it lubed. For air running, I put in a couple drops occasionally. On the metric plans he has a steel plate there, on top of the aluminum. Sealing under that plate could be interesting. Yet another gasket?

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #549 on: February 19, 2016, 02:02:20 AM »
Hi Zee,
 As the guys say it probably makes little difference. Would think long term that the aluminum will wear.... But probably not in your lifetime as the guys have said.

The saying for loco's is ........." slide valves wear in"........."piston valves wear out".......make sense? Slide valves get better with time as they basically lap themselves, we're as piston valves lap the bore bigger.

Still following & enjoying

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #550 on: February 19, 2016, 02:14:29 AM »
Hi Zee,
 As the guys say it probably makes little difference. Would think long term that the aluminum will wear.... But probably not in your lifetime as the guys have said.

The saying for loco's is ........." slide valves wear in"........."piston valves wear out".......make sense? Slide valves get better with time as they basically lap themselves, we're as piston valves lap the bore bigger.

Still following & enjoying

Cheers Kerrin
Yeah, both types were used on different locos, its also amazing how many varieties of valve linkages there were on locos over the years. There are some great websites with animations of a lot of them.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #551 on: February 21, 2016, 09:38:15 PM »
Anybody remember what we were doing? Why we're here?
Was it cookies? No...that doesn't sound right. Something about an engine, no?
Oh yeah...right...The Monitor.

Steam chests...

Squared up a chunk and drilled some holes...

I think I cut a chunk a bit long but no problem.

Then milled out the cavity. Had to pick an end mill that would reach through which meant it was a bit larger in diameter than I wanted.
So the corners aren't as small as I wanted. We'll see if it's a problem later.

Not much progress but happy I got a little bit of time in.

P.S. Rubber bands weren't a great idea to hold the parallels. But they're many years old.
Twice something flew by my head and at first I thought it was a piece of my machine.

Am I even averaging one photo per page?
"To work. To work."

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #552 on: February 21, 2016, 10:01:22 PM »
Rubber bands weren't a great idea to hold the parallels. But they're many years old.
Twice something flew by my head and at first I thought it was a piece of my machine.

Cut some strips of various widths from foam rubber or dollar store sponges.  Pack between the parallels to keep them apart.  No problem if you drill or mill into them.

Or do what I do and stick the parallels to the vise jaws with a drop of cutting oil or a smidgen of grease.  (Damn! 'smidgen' - I've been reading too many of Cletus's posts.)

In the past, I've made giant spreader springs from those strips of stainless left over when you change windshield wiper blades.  Good re-purposing idea but I could never get them to work very well.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #553 on: February 21, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
I usually do the foam thing but I couldn't find my usual stuff.
You may remember...

"To work. To work."

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #554 on: February 21, 2016, 10:30:05 PM »
Nice progress on the valve chests. If it turns out the inside corners are a problem (doubt it) you can always round the corners of the valve sliders a bit, wont effect function.

Been so long I lost track - did you get the other covers/cylinders all straightened out? Pics?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal