Author Topic: Elmer's Double Acting Reversing Wobbler  (Read 15052 times)

Offline Thor

Re: Elmer's Double Acting Reversing Wobbler
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2016, 07:48:45 AM »
 The Cylinder head is looking good Phil, nice work. I guess you will soon have it running.

Thor

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #46 on: December 14, 2016, 05:35:52 AM »
Thanks guys for the comments.  Couldn't help myself since all parts except the packing for the gland were on hand.  Here she is running in single action mode.  A lot of finish work to do yet

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wa9A4Gxh6Y" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Wa9A4Gxh6Y</a>

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Thor

« Reply #47 on: December 14, 2016, 07:47:35 AM »
 Congratulations Phil, you have a runner.

Thor

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2016, 03:21:23 AM »
Phil, can't wait to see it at cabin fever. Your going to need 2 air lines to keep her full of air  :ROFL:
Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2016, 01:34:51 AM »
Thanks for the video Phil. Seems to be ticking over very smoothly!!

Bill

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #50 on: December 15, 2016, 03:15:45 AM »
Thanks Thor, Dave, Bill.  But I still need to work out why she won't reverse.  Runs pretty well in one direction, but so far no reverse.  I have to try reversing the air intake to see if that changes things.  Hey, Cabin Fever in 1 month, can't wait.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #51 on: December 20, 2016, 03:40:42 PM »
I was not excited with the engine running in single action mode.  It required at least 50 psi to keep it running even though the engine seemed to turn over easily with no tight spots.

I was a bit suspicious of that crank web/flywheel combination.  It was made from a 3” diameter x 1” thick piece of brass and at just over 2 pounds I thought it would be sufficient to do double duty. 

I found a nice piece of scrap cast iron 0.7” thick x 3.5” diameter so I decided to make a “second” flywheel with it and see if engine performance improved.  After facing both sides, I bored a central hole 0.750” diameter for fitting to a hub. 

I turned a hub to fit this hole, then I drilled/reamed the hub ½” to fit the crankshaft.  I drilled and tapped two 10-32 holes for set screws. 

I fastened the hub to the flywheel with some Loctite and after curing, I drilled a 1/8” hole at the interface of the hub and flywheel.  Then I put a 1/8” piece of brass with a drop of Loctite in the hole.  After curing I milled most of the excess brass off, then faced to flywheel to finish it.

Now, with this second flywheel adding almost 2 pounds the engine runs slowly on 20 psi.  It may be that doubling the scale requires a bit more mass in the flywheel.  Once I get it to run in double action mode, the flywheel may be unnecessary. 

Side view 1:

Back view :

Every engine seems to have its own peculiarities and this one is no exception.  I double checked my valve slot dimension and it follows the plan OK.  But the valve position has a very small arc in which the engine runs well in either direction.  That made setting the valve for the first running a bit time consuming.  I managed to get the reversing feature working but the valve position does not have a lot of “wiggle room”

There are two springs working in this engine.  One of them holds the cylinder against the column.  I think I have that one right because I’m not seeing many bubbles of oil coming out of that interface.  So it’s strong enough to form the seal, but not so strong as to be a major source of friction.  The other spring forces the valve against the column.  I think that one is too weak since the valve often drifts off its optimum setting causing the engine to slow down.  And note the oil spray in the back view around the valve.  I’ll need to work on this.

Finally, I need to address the double acting feature.  I may need to remake the packing gland since installing it introduces too much friction.

I should have this engine at Cabin Fever as a work-in-progress.

Cheers,
Phil

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2017, 02:49:10 AM »
I'm reposting this video just to complete this thread.  Apparently, the original post was lost during this recent incident with the server.  No need to reply if you already did.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6W7oXXRmhM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6W7oXXRmhM</a>

Cheers,
Phil

Offline Thor

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2017, 05:11:16 AM »
 Phil,
 Thanks for reposting the video.

Thor

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal