Author Topic: Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 222013 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
Monitor Steam Engine
« on: December 16, 2015, 05:26:51 PM »
Many thanks to Julius for the plans as well as Bob Middleton for the original design.

I'd been looking for a project for some time. You know, the kind you can't get out of your head.
This engine has captured me.  :pinkelephant:

I drew up most of the parts and assembled them in CubifyDesign. Not that it's necessary but it helps me get an idea of what's involved and how to go about it.
The video shows the result.
It's a very poor video and I completely forgot to turn off the TV. Turn off your speaker or enjoy some "Leave it to Beaver".
It just happened to be on. I wasn't watching. Really.

I need to find an alternative to Photobucket. It was quite frustrating.

It will be a while before I can get started cutting. Holidays, household chores, and job are in the way right now.
But I'll start preparing and will no doubt have some questions to ask.

It's been a while since I've gotten this excited. A long while.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
  • North Jersey
    • MadModder
Re: Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 06:22:41 PM »
Hi Zee,

This engine has had me day dreaming for years about building it. Anxious to see you have a go. Where did you get the plans? Nevermind, I found them!

Eric
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 06:26:08 PM by Brass_Machine »

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 07:40:13 PM »
Carl it has my attention as well. I have been looking for plans for this engine since I saw the engine itself.

Don

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 07:43:29 PM »
That was quick and nicely done.

This engine has captured me.  :pinkelephant:

I think I am hooked also.  I will be following you when you decide to start it (unless I start it before).

Vince

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 08:32:31 PM »
Thanks Eric. Glad to know it's not just me.  ;D
Don - Thanks for looking.
Vince - go for it!

I think my family is going to be upset with me this holiday. I haven't left my desk for two days.  ;D
Well that's just too bad.  :embarassed:

One of the things I look to do is add some detail (i.e. make it mine  ;D ). With that in mind I have some initial questions...

1) I'm thinking it would be cool to replace the oil cups with...with...rats...what's the name? The oil thingies with glass tubes. You know what I mean. The oil cup is 3/8 diameter and 1/4 tall. The tube is 1/8. Can a thingie be made to scale?
2) Which got me wondering what the scale of this engine is. Haven't found it yet.
3) The cylinder uses 6 studs on either end to hold the covers. I wouldn't mind having a few more. What would be suggested? 8, 10, 12, more?
4) The eccentric straps and crank rod bearing ends have holes for oil. Any reason why one wouldn't use...sigh...thingies? But that may be going too far.
5) I didn't see any aluminum material in the imperial drawings (it was nearly all bright mild steel, brass, or stainless) but the metric drawings do call out several parts in aluminum. I'm not questioning the choice of material...just curious if this is a difference in practice between countries/regions.
6) I do intend to use a lot of aluminum instead of BMS. Any reason why it wouldn't be paint-able?

I'm also going to open up the frames similar to the metric drawings.
And yes...studs-n-nuts.

Happy to take any suggestions.

"To work. To work."

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 08:45:05 PM »
You mean something like this oil thingy:

I did not realise there where so many differences between the metric and imperial plans.  I need to download the imperial plans.

Vince

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 09:20:24 PM »
That will be aneat mechanism to watch run for real. Looking forward to seeing your build. :popcorn:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 09:27:02 PM »
Vince - Yes! Thanks.

If you're looking at the metric drawings (to build in metric) then I doubt the imperial will be very helpful. The metric drawings give more and better information.

I just know someone is going to ask me why I don't just build in metric. I'd thought about it but I think getting parts/materials would be too difficult to be worth it at this point in my life (i.e. experience).

Speaking of which...I'm already stuck trying to translate some of the fastener stuff.
For example, the metric drawing shows the eccentric rod as 4mm diameter and threaded M4 on the ends.
The imperial drawings show 1/8" diameter and threaded 1/8. 1/8 thread?

I found a table that shows the equivalent M4 is 8-32 (or 8-36). But 8-32 has a minor diameter of .1257. Seems I'd be cutting air.
Seems 6-32 would be the choice. No? [EDIT: er...make that 5-40].

No doubt most of you will be saying to yourselves "been there done that".  :Lol: Someday so will I.

Just saw your post crueby. Thanks!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 09:38:55 PM by zeeprogrammer »
"To work. To work."

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 01:51:16 AM »
I'll be looking forward to any or all of you starting a build on this one. Having seen the model at CF two years ago as I recall, it is a fascinating motion and offers lots of opportunities for details. Go for it guys!!

Bill

Online fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 05:45:29 AM »
I do not know if somebody has mentioned this link to the video before. Have fun.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBX_IOTClA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBX_IOTClA</a>
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 06:36:16 AM »
Thanks Achim.  That's the one with an external flywheel.

Vince

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 12:01:14 PM »
Thanks Achim.

Does anyone know what the brass bit is underneath (seen from behind)? A lubricator? But it seems to have a handwheel (seen from the front).

For Jo: "Too far?" I'm from the midwest. I'm thinking you're down the road apiece.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 12:04:31 PM by zeeprogrammer »
"To work. To work."

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 01:30:32 PM »
Ray HasBrouck built a very nice monitor model several years ago, which he always showed at Cabin fever and NAMES. He told me that he got into building it  when he saw a model at the Science Museum in London but it was missing the valve gear. Since the Science Museum was usually very detailed in its models that made him curious and he set out to determine how the valve was controlled. He finally thought that Ericson had destroyed any drawings to protect his design. When the Monitor Engine was raised Ray was hopeful he could see enough there to determine how it was made. Sadly Ray died before he got to see it.

Ray did design a very workable valve gear and always demonstrated its smooth operation. It was a handwheel operating a screw that changed the links.

Ray never did drawings of the model, although he was often asked for them. It would have been a major undertaking. I do not know who got Rays model.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 02:04:11 PM »
Thanks Ron. Interesting and sad story.
I came across this link that talks a bit about it. I believe it shows the handwheel/screw/links you mention. Also has a reference to Ray.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949949

Way beyond my capability.
"To work. To work."

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 03:26:51 PM »
The model shown in Zee's last post shows the Monitor engine built by Rich Carlstedt. He usually shows it at NAMES, and it's incredible.
I've attended seminars that Rich held at NAMES describing some of the details of the build, and some of the extensive research he had done in the effort, including study of some of Ericsson's original construction drawings.

The folks at the Mariner's Museum where the raised engine resides know Rich well, and often consult with him as an expert.

Video of Rich's fantastic engine:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWn8gQ9Ykpk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWn8gQ9Ykpk</a>

--Tim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal