Author Topic: minnie traction engine in 2"  (Read 47091 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: minnie traction engine in 2"
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 12:46:03 AM »
Glad to see you back at it Mal. Those rivets look very nice and will add a lot as you say.

Bill

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 07:38:57 AM »
Looks good Mal, its the little touches like that which make all the difference. Will you be adding any dummy stays and throatplate detail? I'd also suggest when you come to the tender to keep the rivits at 1/16" dia but close the spacing up to keep it looking more in scale.

J

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 06:29:34 PM »
Hi Jason , yes i may play with the idea of a dummy throat plate can only make it look better, you suggest 1/16 rivets for the tender do you think the rivets are to large on horn plates  or just down size them for the tender to put it into scale.

Cheers Mal.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 06:51:15 PM »
The ones on your hornplate slook fine but on a full size engine the tenders would have been thinner metal so smaller dia rivits were used and they did not have to contain any pressure.

Its one of those things that does not double up well on a 2" minnie. My 2" fowler which is very close to the works drawings has 1/8" rivits for the horn plates, wheels and most structural parts but the tender only has 1/16" ones and the same scaled spacing as a full size engine, note once above the water line they are more spaced out.

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 07:21:03 PM »
Thanks Jason , what you say is true 1/16 rivets it is then on the tender after seeing the picture of yours.

Thanks Mal.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 07:33:41 PM by mal webber »

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 09:19:14 PM »
lovely.......on the 4inch  they are 1/8 rivets at 3/8 centres below the waterline              Terry

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2016, 10:46:52 PM »
Hi all
bit more shed time on Minnie, so thought I would have a go at the chimney until materials turn up for other parts, did think about rolling it out of sheet but the rollers I have the use of are to big so out of solid was the way for me, still lots to do, dummy rivets top of the chimney etc. wish I hade a taper attachment on the lathe think it would have made things easer .
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:00:43 PM by mal webber »

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 07:12:11 PM »
Looks an excellent job you made of that chimney. Are you having a brass or copper top?            Yes, a taper turning attachment would be nice wouldn't it. :agree:            Terry

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 10:09:50 PM »
Hi all
after posting the pics of the chimney last night the more I looked at it and the more  :DrinkPint: it just didn't look right looked a bit thick at the bottom and shapeless, so back in the lathe with it and I think the out come looks a lot better. Terry going to try and make one out of copper sheet.

Mal.   

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 10:38:03 PM »
Well they both look great to me.
But you're seeing it in person.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2016, 10:53:11 PM »
Hi
Thanks maybe its me, the first one looked good at first but after looking at other engines it just didn't look right.

Mal.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:26:01 PM by mal webber »

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 05:59:44 AM »
I'm not qualified to compare it to other engines, but I am approved to say that I think it looks very nice!  Can't wait to see it finished up and in place!
Kim

Offline mal webber

• Wales UK
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2016, 06:30:38 PM »
Thanks Kim, think it will be some time before its finished the amount shed time I get.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 08:12:48 PM by mal webber »

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2016, 12:57:13 PM »
Mal,    I used to get irritated by lack of shed time,  the finished engine always seemed as far away as ever.  Then I changed my approach and just concentrated on the next part and enjoyed making that without looking too far ahead. After a while you find you have made progress and more importantly enjoyed every minute of it.  As much as we all love our hobby there is more to life than shed.  (with apologies to those who disagree!)

Terry

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2016, 02:13:55 PM »
As much as we all love our hobby there is more to life than shed.  (with apologies to those who disagree!)

There is gardening  :noidea:, going to work  :(, going shopping  :disappointed: and for those of us without partners or still living with their parents  :facepalm:, there is the option of having lathes and milling machines in the house as well as the shed  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal