Author Topic: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale  (Read 233807 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: 'WIDE A WAKE' a steam launch tale
« Reply #750 on: September 19, 2016, 10:06:52 AM »
Well Done 8)

POSTSCRIPT
That all consuming passion for machining however has diminished at an alarming rate over the past few years and there is less and less desire to continue so not only is this the end of the line for the project but, I feel, the beginning of the end for my involvement in ME. .... That is not to say that I will not make anything in the future just that there is nothing planned for the foreseeable one.

Say it is not true  :toilet_claw:

Chinese Milling Machines have a lot to answer for  :ShakeHead:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #751 on: September 19, 2016, 04:14:51 PM »
Thanks guys - I'll try to bear that in mind but once I get my head into the plastic I'm afraid I get a bit lost  ::)

On that note Jo, I'm afraid that that is the case but I assure you - I really do - it has nothing, nothing whatsoever, to do with the quality of the new mill  :D

There is however a Mc'Onie that needs finishing but whilst there is intent to do so at some stage there's absolutely no indication as to when  ;D

My sincere regards Guys - enjoy yourselves for that's it for now.

PS A Footnote - what another one???  ::)

We took the boat into the Boat Building College today as I was asked to do so when I had it finished. It came as a surprise (on both sides) however to find completely new management but once I explained why we were there we were made just as welcome as before. They were very pleased to see it finished and my day was made when Pete, the instructor who such a way back thought the roves were real and who was always ready to proffer information, shook my hand and with a big grin said  "You've passed" - Fair made my day that did, I can tell you.

Now that really is the end of the line
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #752 on: September 19, 2016, 04:48:12 PM »
Thanks guys - I'll try to bear that in mind but once I get my head into the plastic I'm afraid I get a bit lost  ::)

Yep that styrene glue is a bit strong ;)

Hope you won't be too much of a stranger and that you may get the urge to make swarf again, maybe you could get Sue to take up ME as a retirement hobby so the machines don't collect too much dust.

J

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #753 on: September 19, 2016, 07:08:57 PM »
Hi Ramon what a great show.
Enjoy what ever you have decided to do in future and have fun.
It will be a pleasure to see some of your brillant work again, maybe.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #754 on: September 20, 2016, 02:03:52 AM »
Truly a work of art, dripping with quality and precision with looks to match.  :pinkelephant: If my boat looks half as good as Wide-a Wake then i will be very happy. The side bumpers look the part Ramon, did you make them?
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #755 on: September 20, 2016, 04:22:26 AM »
A wonderful end to a fantastic model experience.  :cheers:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #756 on: September 20, 2016, 04:47:10 PM »
Hi Ramon

What a wonderful boat. :AllHailTheKing:

I followed your project from the start and was in awe at all the small details you went in.  Sorry to here you are 'retiring' from ME but hopefully you will still come and visit us on the forums and maybe put in some expert advice.

Vince

P.S.  I thought you also had a BR2 to finish.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #757 on: September 20, 2016, 04:52:58 PM »
P.S.  I thought you also had a BR2 to finish.

:lolb: Caught

I run a home for Orphaned model engines   :naughty: But Eric may also be willing to find a small place in his cold  :( and drafty  :ShakeHead: workshop

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #758 on: September 20, 2016, 09:12:41 PM »
Hi Ramon

Talking about leaving on a high or with a bang  :NotWorthy: well I can only say that you did that too :NotWorthy:

A very impressive display of boat, pond, people and all + a fitting end to this journey.

You all have a great pond, I really like that you don't have to bend down to "put it to sea" - nice.

I couldn't help being worried that you put such a nice vessel to sea without any crew on board - what are the odds that it would make it to shore safely gain  ;)

Thank you for sharing everything you have done here for the last many years, and as the rest, I really hope that you check in from time to time.

Best wishes to you and Sue

Per

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #759 on: September 26, 2016, 04:47:46 PM »
Jason, Achim, Robert, Pete, Vince and Per,

Apologies for any delay in replying but I have been absent from the computer and workshop for a few days away on a quiet break with Sue.

I wasn't intending to post again but many thanks indeed for your kind comments and well wishes, as always all are much appreciated  :)

Vince , It is not my intention to 'retire' from ME so much as to take a long sabbatical - how long that proves does remain to be seen  :D and yes you are correct there is the matter of a BR2 as well. I'm afraid I have reached that point however where I need to divide myself in two with equal time in each direction - impossible of course - so I will take my old, and sadly missed friend Sid's oft quoted motto - "Go with the Flo" - Who knows where that will lead to I wonder ?

Now parting with the Bentley Jo, should it be done at all, will only be done at the right time to the right person - I'm afraid that given your response to when I offered you the Throp flywheel donations to orphanages are very firmly ruled out   :ShakeHead:

Well, I really do think we need to call this thread to an end now - it's been a lovely journey but there's little left to say except thank you for sharing it with me :)

Kind Regards to you all - Ramon.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #760 on: September 26, 2016, 05:10:10 PM »
Ramon as usual I am late to express my admiration of your work and presentation. A wonderful journey and an educational one as well. You will surely be missed my friend and I do hope you check in on us from time to time. I should be starting the Table Engine this coming year and do hope you check on me. The wide Awake is simply beautiful and should give you enjoyment in years to come. Enjoy you new found interest and stay well my friend. As usual .......I ........like....... :Love:

Don  :praise2:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #761 on: September 28, 2016, 02:23:35 PM »
Hello Don, my thanks as always for your words of support  :)

I will keep an 'eye to the ground' for your new build - in all probability my 'lurching' (read lurking) good friend Chris (Model Steam) will keep me posted on events  ;)
(We will be having a get together at this weekends Forncett do as well as the Lowestoft show at the end of the month where no doubt he will be twisting my arm ;))

I hope your day by day situation from the after effects of the flooding is beginning to improve.

Take care my friend

Kind Regards - Ramon

Offline KNO3

« Reply #762 on: September 05, 2018, 09:42:04 PM »
Hello, I haven't been on here in ages and only now read about the completion of your beautiful steam boat. Congratulations!
What can you tell about the steam plant performance, is it as expected, would you change anything?

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #763 on: September 05, 2018, 11:03:22 PM »
I try to read all of "today's" post...but I have a bad habit of only reading those on the left pane. If there's more posts than the pane can show...then I miss them.
I am really sorry to have missed some posts in this thread.

The pictures of the steam launch, you (Ramon), relatives, and friends are outstanding.
What a feat!
I wish I could have been there. The atmosphere must have been of pure satisfaction and joy.

Cheers to you.  :cheers: :DrinkPint: :wine1:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #764 on: September 06, 2018, 12:20:08 AM »
Hello Ramon,

Absolutely gorgeous.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal