Author Topic: Cabin Fever 2016  (Read 21712 times)

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
Re: Cabin Fever 2016
« Reply #90 on: January 18, 2016, 08:33:34 AM »
I had been looking forward to this show ever since last year's in York, and I tried very hard to finish my own design air engine in time, but a combination of cold in my unheated shop (what temperature is it when Tap Magic freezes), and my back problems, conspired to allow me only to get some of it made and assembled. I also brought with me the wobbler engine I had made last year and exhibited at the show, along with my "TigTac" tachometer and DC generator. It took me a while to get everything together Saturday morning but finally I was on the road and arrived about 1:30 PM. My first mistake then was to park just inside the fence of the camping area, and I dragged my aching body and a hand cart all the way to the wrong end of the buildings, where all the doors were locked. (Last summer I had attended a free exhibit there, and that was the way I went in). So I hobbled back almost to where I had parked, and then made my way to the main entrance to get my pass and go inside. By this time it was about 2 PM.

It was difficult to get oriented to the locations of the various exhibits, or even find the bathrooms, and the first one I found was out of order. I didn't see any helpful signs or maps to show where things were, so I painfully wandered around for quite a while before finding the MEM table. I was greeted cordially, but when I asked where I might be able to set up what I had to show, I was told that they were unable to hold a spot after Friday night or Saturday morning, and I might have to find a place elsewhere to set up. Last year, there was a sign on the table with my name, and a small space and a chair where I was able to sit.

By then I was in considerable pain, and I had to find a place to sit for a while and recuperate. I had some nice conversations with some people who also were taking a break, some also with back problems. Eventually I got up and went to the Little Machine Shop table, where I was able to buy their last AXA style toolpost set for $159, including an adapter sleeve to fit my 9x20 lathe. They are good people. I also found a plain back 4-jaw 6" chuck that should fit my rotary table, but I put a "hold" on it until I hauled the stuff I had brought back to my car. Then I bought the chuck (for $50) and I briefly looked at other items that seemed like good deals, but the pain and leg weakness from congenital spinal stenosis is omnipresent and worsened by walking or standing, and makes it difficult to even think rationally, much less enjoy looking at tools or model engines.

I returned to the MEM table for the photo (at the second allotted time, 4PM), and made arrangements with kvom and PhilJoe to deliver their requested pieces of metal. I was disappointed that there were no plans to get together for dinner as we had last year and in 2014, but I probably would not have been able to enjoy that very much, especially if it involved a long wait as was the case at the White Rose in York (but that was quite worth it). I was rather relieved to finally get in my car and travel back home, and I took what I think was the best route in spite of my Garmin GPS trying to get me to turn around and go back to the PA turnpike intil I was finally on I83 and a straight shot home.

So, hopefully next year my planned back surgery will have been successful and I will have recuperated enough to do more machining and also enjoy the show better. But I would suggest that a map of the facility should be provided, showing where various exhibitors and vendors are located, and I hope there can be some way for MEM to reserve space for those with things to show but unable (or unwilling) to come early or spend the whole weekend.

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #91 on: January 18, 2016, 01:40:21 PM »
I had a great time at the Cabin Fever show. As always, it was great to see and chat with old friends and make quite a few new ones. All of my engines ran well all weekend. I likes the location and the January dates. I am much busier in April than January.
I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Manheim and found it to be very nice. It was probably the first time I ever slept through the night in a hotel bed!
I always bring my own food and drink to these types of events so I don't have to stand in long lines. The bathrooms were very busy all weekend-I wonder if this will be changed for next year?
I'm always glad to see a good crowd for this event. I want this to continue. I noticed quite a few young people that seemed quite interested. This is great, as we need to bring new people into this hobby.
All in all a great weekend. Keep modeling!
         Cheepo45

Offline kvom

« Reply #92 on: January 18, 2016, 01:53:36 PM »
I didn't mean my previous post to sound whiny, as overall the show is and was a good experience.   Thanks to Ron for clarifying the CNC lathe build info, as I was just relating a quick conversation where the details were scarce.

My vendor purchases included the grooving set from Warner (as reviewed by George B. earlier) plus a HSS insert for one of my boring bars, a 6" 3-jaw chuck and a F&S wall chart for one of my friends, some unions for re-piping my loco, and a couple of 1/2" taps.  Also picked up some small pieces of brass bar plus metal from Paul.

Offline jschoenly

« Reply #93 on: January 18, 2016, 02:52:54 PM »
The 20th Annual Cabin Fever has come and gone with great success! We want to give a hearty THANK YOU to all who made it out - Exhibiting, Vending, or Visiting! It was not only good to be back in Lebanon in the expanded facility, but great to be back in January where we all needed a break. There was an Energy and Vitality that we haven't see for a few years this past weekend. There were great displays, great demonstrations, lots of goodies to come home with, and plenty of camaraderie! We were generally running around like mad trying to keep everything going and like many years we didn't get to speak with everyone, but we would just like to say again - THANK YOU to all that made it a great 20th year! We hope everyone is home safe and getting some much needed rest! Take care and we look forward to you next year!! (Jan. 13-15, 2017!)

Also, as someone noted with bathrooms - There are plans for some additional services, but it may not be for next year.  We have some notes and ideas on improvements in many areas, but overall for the first year back in Lebanon, it was really a great show!

Gary, Jared, Joan, Jen, & All the Cabin Fever Team!
Jared
                                 Cabin Fever Expo
--- Model Engineering and Home Shop Hobbies in all Forms! ---

Offline cheepo45

« Reply #94 on: January 18, 2016, 03:01:09 PM »
A big THANK YOU to the Cabin Fever team for organizing and putting on a great show!
Cheepo45

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #95 on: January 18, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »
Thanks to all of the MEM attendees for the great pictures and reports about this year's show. It sounds like a good time was had by all and from the new member applications over the last few days we may even have picked up a few new members, due in part to you guys talking it up and to Stan's great banner!!!

Bill

Offline propforward

• MN, USA
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2016, 04:23:18 PM »
Great pictures - thanks for sharing! Hope I can make that event some time.
Stuart

Forging ahead regardless.

Offline jschoenly

« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »
Just wanted to address a few things below:

1) - It is different, but in general I think the area worked out and we'll get used to it
2) - The different areas worked out well and a lot of people really liked it.  But you are correct on the isle and we have our notes for next year's adjustments!
3) - The food service gives excellent food and didn't really know what to expect, but I think we'll have some good plans to improve for next year.  Friday was a little tough, but I think they had it morning pretty good on Saturday.  We'll work on this as well!
4) - The facility is working on more bathrooms in the section with more air and the dirt pile/ Railroad areas, but it may not be next year.  Some more signage and a better map are in the plans 100% to help this as well.
5) - We feel the same way as far as the auctions, but we never know what we'll be getting.  All we can say is that if you know someone that needs to sell a shop or excess, get them in touch with us sooner than later.  Some years are better than others, we just never know.  Overall, what we had did well and there were some gems in the mix (literally with some rough sapphire lots!).  We really liked having the auctions segregated from the show this year.
6) - We Generally try to air test the lines on Thursday but be fell short on time and didn't have the compressors till mid Friday.  For future years we are trying to be all set in "our" setup Thursday and may try for some air for the later part of Friday (no promises yet). 

And I just want to say all in all - Thanks for people's feedback.  We are not here trying to simply do things our way and not listen, we welcome the suggestions and observations.  Some things we can and plan to change, others things we may not choose to change or may not have the option to change if we wanted to.  So again - Thanks for the feedback to all and I'll try to have all of these things noted for the future!  Take care!

I didn't like this year's show as much as the 3 others I've been to.  My reasons:

1) I liked York arena better than Lebanon, and staying in York more than staying in the Lebanon area. 

2) The exhibits and vendors were split among 3 interconnected areas, and the  aisles in the rear areas were too narrow, making browsing the interior exhibits a chore with the crowds.

3) Food service was much smaller and lines were long.

4) Not enough bathrooms, or perhaps I just couldn't find any.

5) The items in the auctions were much less attractive than in years past, at least to me.  For the first time I bought no auction items and only a single consignment item (a $8 collet).

6) I think CF ought to turn on the air sometime on Friday to let exhibitors get their stuff running properly before the crowds surge in Saturday morning.

Jared
                                 Cabin Fever Expo
--- Model Engineering and Home Shop Hobbies in all Forms! ---

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2016, 02:24:20 AM »
Here is the chuck I bought at the show for $50. I plan to use it on my 6" rotab:

One jaw (#2) is rather loose, while the others are very tight. It seems that the OD of the screws are rubbing in the mating grooves, so I may need to touch them up a bit. This is how far I could open them before getting tight (I could easily remove #2):

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2016, 01:21:04 PM »
Paul
Is that a 6" or 4"?
Looks clean and with a bit of work should be perfect for the rotab.
Great find
Best,
Stan

Offline kvom

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2016, 01:24:06 PM »
The jaws on my 4-jaw chuck are all slightly loose until tightened on the work.

Offline kvom

« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2016, 12:38:32 AM »
Found this video today browsing about.  My engine and myself are shown at 11:12.  Stan's quarter horse/sewing machine is just before that.  Other MEM exhibits following.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZRMeIxWVvs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZRMeIxWVvs</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal