Author Topic: Cabin Fever 2016  (Read 21920 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Cabin Fever 2016
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2016, 07:37:32 AM »
Thanks Again Stan. I imagine Jo is rushing to the airport ringht now with an empty suitcase to see if she can give a home to some of those Stuart Castings, think I heard her say she could do with another triple or was that tipple :wine1:

J

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #76 on: January 17, 2016, 08:49:41 AM »
Yes the Stuart casting sets were a good price but I already have another 3 in the Orphanage and am just missing that No1 that someone chose to sell to someone else when they offered him an arm and a leg for it :disappointed: After these three I don't think I will be making another triple, maybe one of the twins or a quad  ;)

That's an impressive set of photos Stan and it is always interesting to see the differences in what we choose to eat when we go out for a meal. If you tried drinking out of a bottle in a restaurant in the UK you wouldn't get away with it for long. And I am still trying to work out what was in those shakers on the table.. we normally have salt and pepper but there was four I counted  :headscratch:

I feel the need to go and make some swarf  ;D

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #77 on: January 17, 2016, 12:00:54 PM »
More great pictures Stan and it looks like the show was very well attended on Saturday. Thanks for posting and sharing the show with us.

Bill

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2016, 12:02:14 PM »
Thanks for those pics Stan. It would have been nicer to be there, but it is what it is.

Jo, along with the salt and pepper there appeared to be a cheese (probably mozzarella), and a chili container.  Pretty standard for any place that serves spaghetti or other pasta dishes in North America. Drinking from a bottle has been optional as long as I can remember and I'm 70. Of course, in higher end establishments, the waiter would apply the condiments and you would only drink from a bottle if you just won the Grand Pris :lolb:

Tom

I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2016, 12:07:41 PM »
Achim
That is the same spring winder. Beautifully made tool
Best,
Stan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2016, 12:51:53 PM »
Zee's S.O.P. is to leave prior to the group pic.

:o One time doth not an SOP make.  ;D
(I hope it was only this time.)

Yeah sorry about that. Grandpa duty came up. Easy choice.  :shrug:

I could not believe how packed the place was. It was very interesting.
I do wish there was a bit more available of boats and locos though.

I was happy to meet a couple of people I've known on the forum (kvom and RonGinger).
And it was real good to see a lot of you again. Sorry I missed some.

I overheard a couple of visitors talking about the availability of items for purchase.
One said that the time to be there was the day before. That by this time (Saturday noon-ish) half the stuff was gone.
Was it you guys cleaning them out?  ;D

Art...I've been having problems seeing the slide show too. Sometimes it hangs. Sometimes it even hangs up Chrome tab showing MEM.
But I've been able to get through it.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2016, 02:41:26 PM »
Your photos are excellent as usual, Stan. Thanks for posting.

--Tim

Offline kvom

« Reply #82 on: January 18, 2016, 01:00:50 AM »
Thanks to Stan who photoshopped me into the group pic when I mistook the time.   :ThumbsUp:

I didn't like this year's show as much as the 3 others I've been to.  My reasons:

1) I liked York arena better than Lebanon, and staying in York more than staying in the Lebanon area. 

2) The exhibits and vendors were split among 3 interconnected areas, and the  aisles in the rear areas were too narrow, making browsing the interior exhibits a chore with the crowds.

3) Food service was much smaller and lines were long.

4) Not enough bathrooms, or perhaps I just couldn't find any.

5) The items in the auctions were much less attractive than in years past, at least to me.  For the first time I bought no auction items and only a single consignment item (a $8 collet).

6) I think CF ought to turn on the air sometime on Friday to let exhibitors get their stuff running properly before the crowds surge in Saturday morning.

At least there was a good turnout by vendors.  DReeves turned me on to a vendor of an attractive CNC router supplier.  The CNC vendors were all together in a common room, which I liked.  Mach4 was running on a benchtop lathe setup that I really would like, but probably can't get.  It's a LMS CNC lathe from Sieg with some add-on electronics that Artsoft inserted themselves.  But LMS quotes 4-5 month delivery time for the lathe, and no interest in doing any of the upgrades.

OTOH, there was talk of a "build class" prior to NAMES where participants would build a CNC lathe starting with the LMS manual lathe.  This could be an attractive option for a benchtop CNC machine larger than  a Sherline.  We'll see.

In any case, I still want to see turning/facing cycles implemented in Mach4 before I get too serious about any of these options.

While exhibiting is fun and obviously exhibitors are needed, I found that my first time as an exhibitor I missed wandering around as much as before.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #83 on: January 18, 2016, 01:49:01 AM »
Much of what Kirk said was correct. My take was a bit different.

While the food lines were long, it was better than York. Nicely done shoo fly pie.

Bathrooms are an issue. My fear is that Gary will order PortaPotties and we'll find several frozen exhibitors after the show.

I did like the venue. Yes, the aisles could have been wider (easily done by making the boat pond smaller.)
Not an issue for MEM as we had most of the front row.

Once you knew where the other rooms were, it wasn't a major issue. It did take me quite a while to find PhilJoe and the Rough and Tumble group.

The big plus was having the auctions in a separate hall. At York, the auctions in one of the engine exhibit areas was quite annoying.

Vendors that haven't attended in some years showed up and it looks like they did pretty well. Roy from S&S with his wonderful ignition systems and Sherline come to mind. Also great to see and talk with Todd from LittleLocos and Gary Martin with his exquisite flywheel castings, etc.

All in all, I enjoyed the new venue and the weather cooperated. Cold but just a flurry on Sunday afternoon. No snow on the ground and just a light dusting on the grass.

The pancake breakfast for exhibitors and vendors was appreciated.

Just sayin'

Best,
Stan

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2016, 02:03:05 AM »
Wow! Gary drove all the way out there in the middle of winter; that is commitment!

Dave

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2016, 03:03:51 AM »
Kvom,
While exhibiting is fun and obviously exhibitors are needed, I found that my first time as an exhibitor I missed wandering around as much as before.
I found that to be true as well in my early days of exhibiting at NAMES. I have found that I now make sure I get to Detroit Friday for the setup day to do the running around and visiting I won't have time for on Saturday. My in laws live in Akron just down the road, and I have been to CF but scheduling is awkward.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2016, 03:05:59 AM »
Joy and I really enjoyed meeting with everyone at the show as well.  Most of the issues mentioned here were discussed in the vendor meeting Saturday afternoon and should be taken care of next year.  We've already committed for next year and will be back in the same spot.  :-) 

Both vendors and exhibitors were busy-busy both Friday and Saturday with some time to wander a little on Sunday.

We were NOT impressed with the Days Inn, Lebanon and won't be back.  Interestingly, the hotel was built in 1961 as a resort-style inn.  It would have been much more interesting in it's 1960's glory days.

Overall, a good time was had by all....
Todd.

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2016, 03:27:43 AM »
I think this was the best show ever, and I have been to every one. I was worried about Lebanon, and indeed it is not as good as York for hotels and restaurant, but I found a nice clean little hotel just 2 miles away (probably built in about 1965). Food was Ok, found a nice local tavern Quentin Tavern on Friday with great food and good prices.

The layout took a few minutes to figure out, there was a big bathroom area between the food line and the auction hall, never crowded when I went by.

Aisles were a bit crowded, but it was sure nice to see lots of  people there enjoying themselves.

The build class talk relates to the CNC workshop in Detroit, but not NAMES- it is in June. see TheCNCworkshop.com for details. We held several meetings this weekend and a few things  have been settled. There will be a Lathe build class this year. Brian Barker and I will be doing the design and building of the kits in the next couple week. The sample machine will be at NAMES. There will also be a CNC router build class. I expect lots of details about the workshop to be on-line later this week, right after Joe and I get settled and final edit the copy.

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #88 on: January 18, 2016, 03:50:22 AM »
I for one really enjoyed the show!  Finally got to meet some of the forum members.  Stan thanks for sharing your pictures.  I was in the one from Saturday. ...but since I talked with Stan twice he doubled my name!  Lol! ! V 45 not V 90 ! All good. Cheapo 45, Phil_L, Dave  and others thanks for sharing your knowledge!  Maybe I'll have something to show next year.  I liked the location and glad to hear it will be there next year.  Some rearranging will be able to make a little more room with no issues.
Never assume the implied task has been completed !!

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #89 on: January 18, 2016, 04:12:22 AM »
A fun show for me as always.  A bit tricky adjusting to the new surroundings, but, hey we are problem solvers are we not?  Always fun to see fellow modelers on a too infrequent basis, but that's what we have.  If you're not inspired/motivated by what you saw then perhaps it's time to get out the gardening tools and get those geraniums started :lolb:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Back