Author Topic: Lauson LA build  (Read 17873 times)

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh,NC. USA
    • Lauson small engines
Re: Lauson LA build
« Reply #180 on: July 29, 2019, 03:00:36 PM »
Thanks for your comments Bill and George.  Thanks also to those silently stopping by to see the progress.

Work has progressed on the kick start mechanism.  As I said up thread, I was very eager to tackle this because it’s one of the reasons I chose this engine to model.

In the last post I showed and described cutting the small helical gear.  In this post I tackled the larger helical gear.  This gear has a pitch diameter so large that I doubted if I could use Chuck Fellows handy-dandy helical gear cutter.  This gear is very thin: 3/16th inch and in design I made it a bit thinner than scale.  With the diameter so large and the teeth so narrow I thought I could cut it “like” a standard spur gear but with the teeth on a diagonal as shown below.

This turned out to work satisfactorily although, even at this width, the teeth did require a bit of filing to get them to mesh smoothly.  Here I show the finished gear or more accurately, gear arc.

With all the gears behind me I moved on to making the kick start bracket and petal.  The photo below shows the bracket and was a sort-of fun doo-dad to make and got me scratching my head a bit to work out the steps.

The petal was next and though I would have preferred to use aluminum to make the fabrication easier, there is quite a bit of stress and rubbing at the joint between the petal and bracket so I thought steel was a better choice.  Steel sure did make fabrication tougher though.  Below is a photo of the complete assembled mechanism on the engine.

Here is another view:

Finally, I give you a video of the mechanism in action.  I’m really pleased with how smoothly this operates.  At first I was thinking it might be for “looks” only but I’m thinking it might actually work well enough to be used to start the engine.  Time will tell.
Craig

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #181 on: July 29, 2019, 04:25:05 PM »
Hello Craig,

That is super neat and works so smooth :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #182 on: July 29, 2019, 08:03:24 PM »
Splendid  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: That should be capable of starting the engine  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2019, 08:41:11 PM »
Everything looks amazing so far - one could be forgiven for thinking that first pop is just around the corner  :thinking:    :cheers:     :popcorn: