Author Topic: Wind Up Torch bit used as a Dynamo:- any one tried it  (Read 1156 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
Wind Up Torch bit used as a Dynamo:- any one tried it
« on: November 26, 2015, 09:46:22 AM »
This may be way off beam as an Idea so shoot me down if it can't be done.

I recently stripped down a wind up torch (as you do)  :hammerbash: that had stopped holding the charge, it only worked when you wound it. And found  the little generator gismo, this set me thinking if it would power a small light when hooking up to one of my engines.

And before any ask no I don't want to light my workshop with it, :zap:

I'm thinking of using for a model generator set:- as any one tired this ?

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Re: Wind Up Torch bit used as a Dynamo:- any one tried it
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 10:21:18 AM »
In general it should work. You may need to play around with gear ratios to get a reasonable match to your engine. If the ratio is too low the generator won't turn fast enough and if it's too high go engine will stall/be unable to start. A hand crank system is probably optimized around 60 rpm which will be a bit too slow to get any useful output from a small engine. Maybe you should try with the first gear set removed  :headscratch:

Both of my IC engines drive small generators and others on here have done similar things (airmodel, Chuck Fellows, Ian S C to name a few that I can think of at the moment).
Best regards

Roger

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Re: Wind Up Torch bit used as a Dynamo:- any one tried it
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 11:12:21 AM »
It a depends on the size of your engine as to what size of motor/generator you use.  Rather than "Toy motors" (rev too fast), motors from printers, VHS tape machines are good.  One of the best that I use is the motor out of a kitchen stick type mixer.  Not too sure about adapting a wind up torch.  Even a bike dynamo is quite good if you don't mind AC volts, or a stepper motor.
Ian S C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal