Author Topic: centaur gas engine  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Frank Boyle

centaur gas engine
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:18:07 AM »
Hi all
I am about to make the main bearings.It states in the construction article that the bearings should be split is this necessary or could I use sleeve bearings instead as they would be easier to make.
Frank

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: centaur gas engine
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 10:06:25 AM »
It is not really necessary unless you intend on running it a lot as the split lets you take up any wear.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Frank Boyle

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 11:40:15 AM »
Hi Jo
Thanks for your prompt reply,I think I will make a sleeve bearing as I will not be running the engine much,that is if it will work.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
Frank, the split bearings are helpful if you need to disassemble the motor without taking the flywheel off.  To make them, the two halves are soldered(Soft solder) together, and treated as a solid bearing, then heated to separate them.
I normally build hot air engines, and use ball bearings,  but I have rebuilt a Stuart Turner S9 which has split bearings.

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 01:04:07 PM »
Dear Frank.

May I make an observation regarding main and big end bearings?

My RLE engine has done 1000's of hours running at steam rallies and is now on its third crankshaft. I have discovered that Bronze, unless copiously lubricated actually wears out the Steel very quickly.

I found that my Robinson X who's main bearings are Cast Iron ( as originally done ) no appreciable wear has occurred with similar running length of time.

As an experiment I made a Steel die and cast some Zinc alloy mains for the original half scale Gardner, the full size engine's used White metal ( Babbit ). This material has worked really well, virtually zero crankshaft wear the bearing material also within useable limits.

I too made the main bearings tubular to save quite a bit of time and effort.

Kind regards, Graham.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 01:10:05 PM »
I usually make mine split but leave them soldered that way they don't get mixed up and the facility to adjust is always there.

J

Offline Frank Boyle

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 01:51:39 PM »
Hi all
A lot of useful information which has helped me to decide how to proceed,thanks .
Frank

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal