Author Topic: AOG's version of the Liney number 1  (Read 4005 times)

Offline AOG

AOG's version of the Liney number 1
« on: November 25, 2015, 06:24:10 PM »
It's time for another build log. After all of the fighting I did to get my Elmer's 43 working I think it's time for something simple. I went diving into my stack of kits and plans and grabbed plans for this

The Liney number 1

I started by squaring up some barstock for the base.

Then I drilled the mounting holes.

Then I used an endmill to counterbore the holes for the screw heads.

Next I ran a round over bit around the edge.

I finished off the part by fly cutting the surface.

Next it was time to start the frame. I squared up the piece, marked it out and drilled the holes.

The it was over to the die filer where I cut out the waste stock with a hacksaw blade.

Then I cleaned up the cuts with files mounted in the die filer.

I decided that I didn't like where I was going (looks wise) with the frame so I shorted the overhang on the bearing side and rounded it off on the die filer. Then the part was fly cut flat. I forget to do it after I squared up the piece.

That's when I started to have problems. I flipped the part and started to drill the mounting holes. Then the tip of the spotting drill broke off in one of the holes. I drilled it out and I was left with this

I figured I would plug it and redrill the hole. I turned up a plug.

Then I Locktited it in place.

I should have quit while I was behind. I decided to tap the 2-56 holes that hold on the inlet fitting while the plug was curing. Naturally I broke the tap in the first hole. The part has been simmering away in the Alum for the last 2 days. On a related note, has anyone else noticed that smaller the tap the longer it takes to dissolve in the Alum. I can usually get a 10-32 out in a couple of hours. a 2-56 usually takes a couple of days. The other thing I've noticed is that HSS is much more resistant to Alum then carbon steel. I'll pick this up after I get back from the holiday.

Tony

Offline AOG

Re: AOG's version of the Liney number 1
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 11:59:17 PM »
Due to the holiday this will be a short update. The first thing I did when I got back is file down the plugs and drill the remaining holes. Then I tapped the holes for the base and the inlet fitting. That left me with this:

Since I didn't have much time I decided to make the inlet fitting. I started off by milling the base to size. While I was at it I also caught the edge of my parralel and broke my nice carbide 3/8 end mill.

Then I drilled the holes for the 1/8 tube and the mounting screws.

Next I set up my hearth and soldered in the tube.

I'll end this post with a family shot.

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 12:25:51 AM »
Despite the few problems Tony, you are still making progress. That's a nice little engine. Are you finding the Liney plans good to work from?

Bill

Offline AOG

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 12:56:14 AM »
I don't have to tell you that problems are part and parcel of this hobby. I have a whole stack of Liney plans sitting in the closet of castings waiting to be built. I figured I would dip my toe into those waters by building one of their simplest engines. So far so good. The plans appear well drawn. I certainly don't miss my habitual fraction to decimal inch conversations at the beginning of an Elmer's engine.

Tony

Offline AOG

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2015, 05:21:31 PM »
Time to report on last weekends progress. I started with the crankshaft. I turned 2/3 of the crank profile first.

I was concerned about wall thickness so I decided to drill and tap the part before turning the last part down to dimension.

Then the rest of the profile was cut and the piece parted off

The piece was flipped in the collet chuck and the crank was cleaned up.

Then it went into the collet block and over to the mill to drill for the crank pin.

The pin was pressed in and Locktited into place.

It was then time to start on the cylinder. I pulled out the self centering four jaw that I rarely use and turned the round profile.

Then the bore was drilled and reamed.

The part was moved to the mill to drill the ports and the pivot hole.

The plans recommend countersinking the pivot hole to allow room for the solder. In my previous engines I have followed  Elmer's practice of a slight counterbore and I have had problems with the solder fillet being to tall.

I put the cylinder aside to make the pivot pin. I drilled and tapped the pin.

Next I soft soldered the pieces together. I have to say that the countersink worked much better than the the counterbore. I still had to do a little bit of cleanup but nothing like what I have to do for one of Elmer's engine.

That left me with this completed cylinder assembly.

Next it was time to start the piston. After measuring the bore with my hole gauge, I turned up a piston to fit.

Then it was over to the mill to cross drill the hole for the crank pin.

The last piece I made this weekend is the pulley. I turned the outside to dimension and drilled the center hole.

Then I used a threading tool to cut the groove and parted it off.

Here is a current family shot.

All I have left is the flywheel and a base. Until next time.

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2015, 06:21:40 PM »
Looks very nice Tony. How fancy are you going to make the flywheel?

Bill

Offline AOG

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 07:31:19 PM »
I am seriously considering giving tinglett's flywheel builder a try.

Tony

Offline AOG

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 03:05:49 AM »
Ok time to build the last piece. Time to tackle the flywheel. It's also time to stretch my limits and make my first spoked flywheel. I retread Tinglett's thread on his flywheel tool and decided to give it a go. The flywheel on this engine is 2 inches in diameter (about 51 mm for our metric folks) so I decided to go with a three spoke flywheel to keep the hole dimensions reasonable. I entered the data into Tinglett's tool and it gave me this.

Looks good to me so I faced a flywheel blank on both sides.

Then I scribed and cut the limits of the hub and rim.

Then the material in the middle was  trepanned out.

I drilled out the center.

The part was placed on a mandrill and the other side completed. I also took the opportunity to true up the rim. Next it was over to the rotary table.

Following the instructions on the tool, I drilled the inner holes.

Then I drilled the outer holes.

Next I milled out the edges of the spokes. I almost screwed up here because my sign conventions are reversed from what the tool calls out  so I was initially on the wrong side of the flywheel. Luckily I caught it and adjusted appropriately.

The last thing I did is mill out the rim arcs which left me with this.

It's not perfect and I have a lot of clean up to do but it will work. I can definitely say that I will be using that tool again. Thanks Tinglett. Tomorrow I will clean up the flywheel, polish the parts and put it all together. Hopefully we have a runner.

Tony

Offline AOG

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2015, 12:17:33 AM »
It's done and she's a runner. See the showcase thread below for pics.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5599.msg107395/topicseen.html#new

Tony

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal