Author Topic: Stuart Beam Build  (Read 30394 times)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Stuart Beam Build
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2015, 08:24:16 PM »
Jason, you are right about needing another shaft. In the winding engine instructions they mention doing just that. Also, when I think about it, the "Driver" is going to have to be in a place where he can control the steam pressure, run the brake, and put the winch in and out of gear ... Oh, and have a cuppa on the go as well.

I guess I better start putting something on paper.

Cheers

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 12:43:36 AM »
Got some time today so I tackled the pedestal. It is a good job that I not only read the instructions, but measured as well. There was barely enough meat on the top in one dimension and a bit short in the other. It is the width at the top that is just a whisker shy so I will have to adjust the motion spacers a wee bit.

This has been covered in a couple of other threads and I didn't do anything different.

Found center in the top and bottom of the pedestal.

Center popped, mounted quickly on the mill and center drilled both ends.

Then I mounted the piece in the four jaw on the lathe, dialed it all in, and proceeded to square the top side of the bottom, and both top and bottom of the top of the pedestal. I took the top to it's required thickness. The pedestal is about 1/16" over length at the moment and gives me enough to play with when I do the bottom of the pedestal tomorrow.

Looks like my trusty old camera is ready to call it quits after about 15 years ... gonna have to get a new one.

Tom

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 01:44:34 PM »
One thing I forgot to mention last night is that so far, the castings machine very nicely indeed.

Cheers

Tom

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 11:36:13 PM »
I have notched both sides of the top of the pedestal for the arms that the motion links attach to.

Next, I cut the two arms to length, measured where the holes are supposed to go, and mounted it in the small vice. Then I take that assembly and mount it to an angle plate.

For some reason, I am not good at putting the same measurement on two pieces of metal, drilling holes, and then have the holes line up. Hardly ever happens. So, I mounted the two pieces in the vice, drilled them both at the same time, and that way they have to be right.

Now I will take them out of the vice, tap the one hole and drill the one in the bar to the clearance size, and bolt them together temporarily whilst I do the other hole.

Then, there is the obligatory "Getting To Know Each Other" shot.

And yes, the socket head cap screws are temporary until I can make the others I need.

That also brings up a question ... on a real one, would these have been bolts or studs.

Tom

Tom

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 12:23:44 AM by wagnmkr »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2015, 07:29:35 AM »
That also brings up a question ... on a real one, would these have been bolts or studs.

Hi Tom, A good way to decide if studs or bolts would have been appropriate is to think about how the engine errectors would have built this engine: If there were threaded holes in the pedestal for bolts then one person would have had to hold the cross member up steady while another tried to get the bolts in the hole.... If they were studs then one person could lift the cross member up onto the studs and then with it in place easily put some washers/nuts on the end  ;).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2015, 10:44:09 AM »
Thanks Jo. That does make sense. I best be practicing my stud making  then.

Tom

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2015, 03:45:23 PM »
It's been a while, but the project is moving ... not sure if it's forwards or back, but it is moving none the less.

I was trying to figure out what the layout would be with the engine and winding gear. I am useless with drawing programs, or drawing at all for that matter. So, I dug out the plans for the Fieldhouse winding engine and made a start on the winding mechanism. So far I have the basic frame done. That has allowed me to play with the layout a bit.

So far, this is what I have come up with.

This layout allows the use of the outer shaft support as per drawings, and should only require a longer shaft than the plan asks for. That is the theory anyway ... practical my differ. Once I get the layout sorted, I can start to plan the building it will live in.

I just received the required gear cutters in the post this morning, so I am good to go for those parts.

The old brain is not functioning well ... I just realized that the winding frame will sit about 3" farther forward than shown in the pic. ( toward the cylinder).  The pinion gear will be on the main shaft and then the large spur gear (4 1/8" dia) will mate to that. I should be able to make and install an engine control valve and mount it in the base close to where the driver will have his brake pedal and pinion gear sliding mechanism.

That is it for this time.

Tom
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 03:53:46 PM by wagnmkr »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2015, 04:19:38 PM »
I came across a photo of a beam winding engine at the weekend, will dig it out for you later.

You should be OK with teh existing crankshaft as your gear can take the place of teh pully

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2015, 04:45:29 PM »
Thanks Jason ... obviously your brain is working way better than mine is. I had forgotten all about a pulley being there.

Tom

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2015, 08:31:04 PM »
Here you go

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2015, 11:51:54 PM »
That is a totally different set up again, and quite interesting.

Thanks Jason

Tom

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2015, 07:27:24 AM »
Not that different. The crank outrigger and the inner drum shaft bearing share the same base so the gear mesh will remain constant rather than two separate items as you currently have. Its then just a brake drum and winding drum on the shaft and finally another bearing.

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2015, 11:01:35 AM »
Two questions about this type of set up ...

Would the winding mechanism really have been left out in the weather like that? Would a rainy or snowy day not effect the brakes?

Would this be the type of set up where the main beam bearings and shaft be part of the building?

I have to say that the photograph has got my mind working again, after only just getting the first set up sort of clear.  (It's a tiny place sometimes)

Cheers

Tom

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2015, 02:52:42 PM »
I have been thinking about the image that Jason posted of the beam winding engine. I like that set up with the beam coming out of the building as it does.

Would the engine that controlled it have been a reversing type, or would there just have been a braking system?

If I eliminated the big cast iron base of the Stuart beam, and just mounted things on a stell or aluminum or Corian plate, I could easily make that set up work.

Tom

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2015, 07:37:35 AM »
Usually only ran one way when winding in and used the weight of the load to spool out controlled by the brake.

Yes quite a few of the earlier winding engines had the beam poking outside and the winding gear was also exposed.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal