Author Topic: Stuart Beam Build  (Read 30391 times)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Re: Stuart Beam Build
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2015, 01:24:54 PM »
Jo, I have found a pic of one with a governor and the exhaust on the back, so there is room.  I did see a much better one done that way but I have looked in so many places that I can't remember where I saw it.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2015, 08:46:27 PM »
Please bear with me here ... someone, and it might have been JasonB, did an excellent chart on converting BA sizes to other sizes. I think the chart had metric and imperial on it. I will not be using the BA sttuff that came with as I have no taps and dies in that system and they would be worth more than I paid for the castings if I could find them. Before I get too far into this I need to figure the sizes.

I have had a look at the base and I find that it has had a rather overenthusiastic encounter with the grinding wheel when the flash was ground off. Can I simply wash off an grease, and the use automotive body filler on it and primer it? Could/would I use an etch primer first?

Thanks

Tom

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2015, 08:50:55 PM »
How bad is it? clean with brake cleaner to get rid of the oil etc. JB Weld is a really good filler on CI. Put it on and use some tape over the top to provide encourage the level surface (= it holds it in place and prevents it slumping)

I'll let Jason post his thread chart  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2015, 08:51:33 PM »
If its not actually a machined surface then body filler will be fine and a lot easier to sand than JBW straight onto the cleaned metal, no need for etch primer.

You mean this chart

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2015, 10:36:55 PM »
Yes, that is the chart ... Thanks Jason.

Jo it is the pedestal sides that have been ground a bit heavy ... just in one place ...a non machining area. In fact, it may even get covered up if my diorama idea gets any wings at all. I might go at it with some medium grit paper and see what that shows.

Thanks for the info.

Tom

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2015, 01:12:23 PM »
Can anyone dive me an idea of approximately how tall the pedestal for one of this type of beam engine would have been? I'm guessing at 12 to 15 feet ... any ideas?

Thanks

Tom

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2015, 01:25:14 PM »
If the engine is 1/12th scale and the flywheel is 7"diameter , it equates to 7ft diameter in full size.

Which means the base/pedestal at 3" would have been 3ft tall.

Jo

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2015, 01:41:25 PM »
Hi Jo ... I am just wondering if that would have been the normal size for one of these engines. I have seen pics of some that were two stories tall and I am just trying to figure out where this type would fit in.

Tom

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2015, 02:26:19 PM »
My  :Love: Stothert and Pitt http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,809.0.html has a 6ft flywheel in full size.

Jo

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »
Thanks Jo, that gives me a good idea.

Errr ... did those lovely S&P's ever get finished?

Tom

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 02:41:00 PM »
 :embarassed: I still have the engraving to do.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 04:34:52 PM »
The big pumping engines were the sort of size you mention needing an engine house of 20-30ft height but the Stuart one is of lighter construction so 7-10ft flywheel eg 1/12th to 1/16th scale.

You will find that a large proportion of beam engines did not have a high plinth, many being mounted on a much lower plinth and base casting with the flywheel running in a pit, take a look at my Easton & anderson or the photo of my Stuart that I posted earlier where I have cut the base casting down and used a pit in the base.

You mentioned about adding a feed pump to this engine, that will also have to go on the flywheel side so things could get even more cramped if you bring the exhaust out that side too. Although in real life the flywheel may have been placed at the back of the engine for models its often the side that they are viewed from particularly if the eccentrics and governor are also on that side. Its only Jo's engines where any moving parts should be kept well out of the way :-[

J

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 06:29:03 PM »
Its only Jo's engines where any moving parts should be kept well out of the way :-[

J

Jason ... I know I am a long way away, but I ain't touching that one  :lolb:

I had looked at your beam and was wondering if you cut it down. One of my ideas is to attach a winding engine and have it run from an extended axle out the "front" side like the Fieldhouse engine.

So many ideas ... I really need to sit with a wee dram or two.

Tom

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2015, 07:05:12 PM »
I'll be watching Tom, I know what you mean about the Stuart Beam, it's a nicely proportioned engine and a good investment of time as if you ever decide to part they go for a small fortune ion eBay these days! I've never done a casting kit yet either so it will be interesting to watch.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2015, 08:00:35 PM »
Sounds like you need a shaft on its own pedestal bearings mounted somewhere between the crankshaft and column, this can be driven by a pinion on behind the flywheel and then a larger gear on the shaft which can extend out the other side to drive your winding gear

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal