Author Topic: Stuart Beam Build  (Read 30397 times)

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
Re: Stuart Beam Build
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2017, 02:18:15 AM »
That winding drum/etc looks great, will add a lot!

Agreed.  It adds character.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »
Thanks Bob

Not a lot done this morning, but I did get the beam bearings mounted and the studs (need a slight tweaking as they are a tad too long) and nuts made, and with a test fit and all tightened down, the shaft still turns freely :cartwheel:.

Tom
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 01:17:27 PM by wagnmkr »
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2017, 12:48:12 PM »
This morning's contribution was a pair of oilers, and the studs and nuts for the bearing caps. Next will be the same operations on the crank bearings, I think.

Tom

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #108 on: March 02, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »
I have not been looking forward to doing the parallel motion links. Eight pieces exactly the same with all the holes in the same spot. Oh well, if Crueby can do a gazillion bits for his Lombard, I should be able to do eight, right! (with a couple of spares).

The first order of business was to cut and deburr the eight blanks. I cut two at a time in the metal bandsaw. Then, I marked and center drilled all the blanks. I used the larger lathe for this as I don't have a four jaw for the Sherline at the moment. In the pic of this operation there are two of the chuck jaws marked with black magic marker. These are the two jaws that I loosened off to change the blanks. The other two jaws weren't moved to make it easier to get each blank registered.

I will make a jig to hold the blanks so that all of the holes will be in the same spot and all of the blanks will be identical in length.

I will use the Sherline to turn the profile of the rods I think. I tried the faceplate/drive dog set-up and it looks like it will work, but I will try another blank first, just to test the theory.

Cheers

Tom

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #109 on: March 02, 2017, 02:25:00 PM »
I dusted off an old jig from the "maybe use it again one day" pile and altered it to suit the purpose. This will let me drill and ream all of the 3/16 holes in the arms in the same place. That should give me a fighting chance of having them all at least the correct length.

Tom

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #110 on: March 02, 2017, 08:39:31 PM »
The end result for today. Now I need to turn them all into fish bellys ... anyone have a recipe for that? With or without cookies?

Tom

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal