Author Topic: First Time In Public  (Read 4290 times)

Offline Davyboy

• Merrill, Wisconsin, USA
First Time In Public
« on: August 20, 2012, 01:32:13 AM »
Hi all.  I went to the local tractor show in Baraboo, Wisconsin on Saturday.  The model club has a nice building for any builders to show their stuff.  Well, after 5 years of denial, I finally took the plunge.  I browsed the show til 2 PM, then got a table.  I had a great time!  The other builders were super friendly and interested in my humble collection of finger engines, wobblers and one solenoid engine.  I think the interactivity of the finger engines and the whistle heightened interest.  Gents that built working Corliss models told me "Good Job".  I was so flattered and proud. 
    The highlight was a young boy, about 6 years old, full of questions.  He liked the wobbler with the whistle on exhaust port.   "What if I plug the (exhaust) hole?"  Try it, I said.  (Motor stops.)  "What if you put air in here(exhaust port)"  Let's try it.  I asked him what happened.  "It's going backwards".  I smiled, his parents smiled.  That right there was worth a million $$$. 
    I hope to go back again next year, with more models.  Here's a photo of the motley collection I displayed.

Davyboy

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: First Time In Public
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:37:22 AM »
Seeing the spark in the young ones eyes makes it all worth it don't it!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 01:57:58 AM »
What's the one in the center back?  Any chance of a video to see how it moves?

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 03:11:30 AM »
I have been doing two to six shows a year for about ten years now. it can be tiring, frustrating, and rewarding. Nice models . Although your models are a bit different from mine I see some similarities. Fairly simple engines doable by a beginner. and some see through materials.  The see through engines really help folks get it. I had a twelve year old kid jumping up and down and hugging his dad begging him to make an Altoids Turbine engine when they get home.
it is great when the kids get excited. It is also kool when I see young women wanting to build engines. I see a few of those at shows as well.
Tin

Offline Davyboy

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:21:29 AM »
Steamer, yes, the young 'uns are special.   

rleete, two in the back row are alike,  I saw one at a steam show in Minnesota a few years ago, I built one from a photo.  The disks are 3.0" in diameter x 1/4" thick, the links should be made from 1/4" x 1/2" stock.  Next time I would use button head screws (not flat head).  Loc-tite the screws.  I also put .010" delrin washers between the links and the disks to avoid aluminum rubbing aluminum. 

tin, the see-thru wobblers were interesting to 'civilians' and experienced modelers too.  It's so rewarding to share, sometimes you get nervous  when they start to man-handle your work...

I tried to get video on photobucket

Hope it works.
Davyboy

Offline smfr

• San Francisco Bay Area, California
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 06:14:08 AM »
Ooh that's neat. Are the "wheels" just running against the base surface, or is there some locking mechanism that keeps them off it?

Simon

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 11:37:57 AM »
What a nice collection Davyboy!  Sounds like you had a very rewarding day too...its nice to see when a youngster really takes an interest and asks some good questions. Now if I could just get my engineering students to exhibit as much interest  :Lol:

Bill

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 12:00:38 PM »
Thanks for the vid.  That's a pretty neat mechanism.

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 12:02:13 PM »
Now if I could just get my engineering students to exhibit as much interest 
I know what you mean !!! My son made a couple woblers when he was 14 one out of lego. Talk about an attention getter for the kids.
He works with me  as a scale tech. I was hoping he would go to college for engineering. No interest yet he is 23.
Tin

Offline Davyboy

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 12:59:00 AM »
Thanks for the interest, guys.  There's more info on that link engine in The Showcase forum.  search Un-Missing Link.

Bill, and Tin-- I wish I had shown more interest in college, too.  Now I'm going to retire (maybe)  as a blue collar guy.

Davyboy

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2012, 02:10:14 AM »
I wish I had shown more interest in college, too.  Now I'm going to retire (maybe)  as a blue collar guy.

I know what you mean . I have two almost 3 associate degrees.  165 college credits but no bachelors degrees.
 I could finish colege probably   but  is it worth it.
Tin

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 02:15:13 AM »
Another project!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal