Author Topic: What sort of work did beam engines do?  (Read 3835 times)

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
What sort of work did beam engines do?
« on: November 23, 2015, 11:17:50 PM »
OK, so I may have got my hands on a casting kit that Jo missed. Not really her fault as it is 45oo miles or so away from her :).

It is a Stuart beam engine casting set. All I know at this point is that it is very slightly started ... whatever that means.

My question ... what sort of work did these engines do when they were alive and well and working for a living?

J.L.'s fabulous diorama has given my some ideas.

Did a beam engine ever power a winding mechanism?

All help appreciated.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline philjoe5

Re: What sort of work did beam engines do?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 11:30:52 PM »
I've seen many photos of beam engines being used to pump water out of mines, but I've also seen a few marine applications such as:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_steam_engine

There's a beam engine in a pumping station in Maryland I'm told, but I haven't seen it or a picture of it.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 11:50:38 PM »
There is a very nice 19th century beam engine museum in Hamilton, Ontario that was used to pump water from Lake Ontario up to the city - they still 'run' it, though with an electric drive rather than steam, but still fascinating to see such a big engine move.

http://museumshamilton.com/hamilton-civic-museums.html?location_num=3#/pano/hamilton-civic-ground-boilerhouse

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 02:35:30 AM »
As a rough guide, Beam engines probably began to provide almost all the rotative power supply and pumping needs when waterwheels could not supply enough power. Essentially it began when the mines got deeper so water became a problem and it all started with Newcomen and his engine, then Boulton and Watt and so on up to the stupendous multiple pumping engines in Holland to alleviate flooding or maintain drainage. So, from Cuban sugar mills to London sewage pumps, little ones powering machine shops to the giants that drained naval dry docks.  More or less they did the lot until the arrival of 'high pressure' steam and the 'high speed' reciprocating engine. In a few cases not dispensed with until mid last century by electric motors. Probably the grandest of all steam appliances. Regards Paul Gough.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 07:43:50 AM »
OK, so I may have got my hands on a casting kit that Jo missed. Not really her fault as it is 45oo miles or so away from her :).

:facepalm: Missed one.

Did a beam engine ever power a winding mechanism?

Indeed they did the "West Country" is full of the remains of Pit heads with the arm of the beam sticking out of a tall building. Here is one: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2990435

The Stuart Beam engine has its bearings on the top of a column rather than built into a building (which is normal for a winding engine) which allows these smaller engines to stand on their own as a self contained power unit. They were purchased in great numbers and applied to whatever the purchaser desired, water pumping was very common as was running small industrial premises like  :DrinkPint: breweries and saw mills etc.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 11:13:10 AM »
Crueby, Thank You so much for the link to that museum in Hamilton ... I had no idea it was there. It is top of the list for a spring visit.

Jo, thank You for the link to that winding engine. My mind is quite busy at the moment.

Paul, Thank You for your information as well. I take it that the sky is the limit sort of.

Philjoe5, I have seen beam engines attached to pumps, and although it shows that they can do work, it is hard to see the work being done.

I am thinking along the lines of this ...  http://www.hemingwaykits.com/acatalog/The_Fieldhouse_Winding_Engine___G_K_King.html  only perhaps using the beam engine as a power source.

I bought the plans from Hemmingway a while ago, but the castings are above my pay grade at the current exchange rate.

Does anyone have any idea of what sort of scale a Stuart Beam would be? Somewhere around 1/12, or perhaps 1/8th scale?

Tom

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 11:42:36 AM »
That Hemminway fieldhouse engine is a nice engine, our member Modelsteam has made one. But the price of the castings  :o I might need to go and sit down....

The Stuart Major beam is supposed to be 1/8th scale. I would assume that the standard beam is 1/12th scle (although the flywheel is only just half that of the major beam)

Jo

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 11:50:02 AM »
Jo, at the moment it takes two Canadian dollars to get one British pound plus the shipping cost at twice the price so I am keeping my moths locked in their enclosure.

I do have the plans and I have some orphan cylinder castings that are close to the required size so I might scratch build a winding engine.

In my wanderings around the net I found this link ...   http://www.geograph.org.uk/article/Beam-Engines-in-the-UK   . Fascinating reading in there.

Tom

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 11:55:56 AM »

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 12:17:46 PM »
Thanks Jo ... lots of reading for the next snowy day.

Tom

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 12:58:08 PM »
Thanks for the link to the Fieldhouse engine. i am currently building the Stuart beam and don't like the simple flat bar link on the eccentric. I may make one like the fieldhouse engine.

I have been to the Hamilton Museum a couple times and it is well worth the visit. They have ( or had when I was last there) a large model of the engine, about 3 feet square. it was a great model, almost better than looking at the real engine.

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 01:51:57 PM »
Ron, consider building a "Doctor" engine.   These were small beam engines that were typically used on Western River Steam boats.  They pumped boiler feed, and bilge, and ...per their name, cured what ever "ailed" the ship.   I lead a team to restore on at Mystic Seaport a number of years ago, and it runs well....

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline wagnmkr

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 05:14:36 PM »
OK, the beam engine is now in my possession and already I have questions.

Can anyone tell me how many pages of drawings there are for the beam? I have a general view and one page for the beam governor and one page for the beam engine.

Some bits are started but most are not.

I appear to have the bits for the #9 governor (and plans for same) as well as the beam governor.

The catalogs and parts lists seem to be from 1992 and the box came from England.

Tom

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 05:32:41 PM »
Nice haul  :embarassed:

And you also have the feed pump for the no 9. I suppose you will need the No 9 castings next  ::)

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 05:38:52 PM »
From what I remember of mine it was one sheet for the whole engine and one for the governor.

J

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal