Author Topic: Worden MK 3 tool and cutter grinder  (Read 72239 times)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Re: Worden MK 3 tool and cutter grinder
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2015, 01:33:26 PM »
Thanks Bob for the info

Incidentally, have you seen this ? http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/news/article/living-with-the-worden/5011

No, I haven't seen it.  Thanks

Vince

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2015, 02:58:45 PM »
Cool Vince, I presume the cam is to tilt the table. Does the knob that tilts it have degree markings so you know what angle you tilt it to? Nice work bud and still following you.

Don

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2015, 04:08:13 PM »
Yes Don, the cams are for tilting the table.  There is a method of scribing the knob but I have not understood it yet.  Most probably I will forget the markings and use an electronic angle indicator to set the table tilt.  I will decide when I get to that stage.

Vince

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2015, 05:02:19 PM »
On to something simple. Or so I thought.

Made some washers.  Marked them, and drilled them.

Made a countersink as these are going to take countersunk bolts.

And then chamfered them.

And finally parted them.  Managed to finish them after a couple of dig-ins  :cussing: and a lot of hand filing the back of the washers. Also made a couple of plain washers of a different diameter.  These last two will be taking 6mm bolts through them but the plans where showing a 1/4" hole in these washers.  I guess when they were changing the plans to metric threads they forgot this.

Vince

Offline Bob Unitt

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 12:10:30 PM »
Yes Don, the cams are for tilting the table.  There is a method of scribing the knob but I have not understood it yet.  Most probably I will forget the markings and use an electronic angle indicator to set the table tilt. 
I put a pointer on the knob and scribed the angle markings on the side-plate.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2015, 03:28:26 PM »
Thanks Bob. That is a good idea.

Today I spent some time reading and rereading slowly the instructions of where and how to make the graduations.  I think I got it now.

Vince

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2015, 11:00:11 AM »
Another two knobs made.  These go on the ends of the same shaft that carries the cams for tilting the table.

Work on the knob which should take the tilt graduations.

Reaming 8mm same knob.

Work on the other knob which locks the table.  Plans show it should be threaded 3/8" x 26 tpi.  I made it 10 x 1mm which should be close enough.

Both knobs finished.

In retrospect, if I had to redo these items again I would do them slightly different.  The large knob looks a bit too "chunky", so it can afford to be a little smaller in diameter.  Also, I would not make the holes in both of them as through holes but blind holes.  I think they would look better.

Still have not received the 4mm number stamps and starting to get worried.  They were dispatched on the 19th November.  I think I will wait a couple of more days and then advise the seller.

Vince

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2015, 05:18:59 PM »
Help please!!

BIG BOO-BOO day today!!

So today I decided to start work on the four shafts by finishing off one side of each shaft.  There are three 5/8" shafts (one longer than the other two) and a 3/4" shaft.  Started on the camshaft which needed turning on one side.  I was nearly finished with it.  Was just doing some clean up.  All of a sudden I got that sinking feeling.  I suddenly dawned on me the reason why one of the 5/8" shafts was longer than the others.  Did I use the long shaft for the camshaft?  Looked behind me and there was the longer shaft sitting on the table. :Mad: :cussing: :hammerbash:

Well after a while, I calmed down.  How can I fix this?  The shaft I was working on is scrap.  I can't use it to replace one of the other one's.  I can't find imperial size barstock here.  First solution was to get another shaft from Kirk.  Then I realized that 5/8" is close to 16mm.  Do I have one in my stash?  Closest I found was 15mm, but was not happy with that.  So tomorrow I will see if I can find 16mm BMS from my usual supplier.

All the steel barstock in the kit is Free Cutting Mild Steel.  Is BMS the same as FCMS??

Vince

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2015, 08:02:22 PM »
Freecutting does not contain lead,  EN1A (230M07) would be a free cutting steel without lead, EN1Apb (230M07pb)is even easier to cut and does contain lead.

If you can get the 230M07 or 070M20 or equivalent with a bright finish they will be fine

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2015, 05:14:14 PM »
Thanks Jo and Jason for your replies.

This morning, whilst driving to my usual metal supplier, I was still angry at myself for being so stupid yesterday.  :hammerbash:   Note to any prospective Worden builder:  the cam shaft is the longer 5/8" shaft.

At least they had the 16mm BMS I needed.  Back home I measured them and the 5/8" shaft was measured as 15.80mm and the 16mm shaft was measured as 15.90mm.  Hardly noticeable when put side by side.

Today finished one side of all four shafts.

Next, some measuring required between the side plates.

Vince

Online sco

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2015, 07:05:42 PM »
Vince,

Don't beat yourself up - most of us will have made far bigger Lulu's than that!

Enjoying following your build,

Simon
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2015, 08:32:21 PM »
Simon's right Vince, we all get those days and you still seem to be making good progress.

Don

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2015, 08:46:43 PM »
No bigee Vince, now you just some "pre-turned" stock available for the next project.  On filing and cleaning up the cut off side of your washers;  next time secure them to a "arbor " with a touch of "SuperGlue", I call it a glue chuck. They will hold fine for facing cuts and just a bit of heat will break them free.   :cheers:

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2015, 03:11:13 PM »
Still following your progress here as well Vince. Nice looking tool!

Bill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2015, 05:27:22 PM »
Thanks Simon, Don, Cletus and Bill for your friendly comments.

Managed to finish all the shafts and fitted them to the side plates.  First thing I did, as per instructions, I put a piece of paper between the side plates and the side of the base.  As the side plates can be slid forward and backward, the paper will provide a clearance for the next operation.

Here, I did not follow the instructions of how to mark the shafts to length.  Instead I took some measurements at various points between the side plates and decided to start with a length of 286.80mm.  The two lower 5/8" spacer shafts were done first.  Trial fit and all OK.  Next the 3/4" ground shaft on which the table slides sideways was done also. Trail fit and all works nicely and it slides smoothly.

Turned the un-machined end of the cam shaft and tapped it 10x1mm.

Milled a flat for the centre cam as per drawing and fitted all three cams on the shaft.  Bolted everything back in place.

Still slides backwards and forward well.  If I want I can afford to reduce the length of all the shafts by 0.1mm but I will leave then as is for now.

Vince
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 08:41:39 AM by vcutajar »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal