Author Topic: Worden MK 3 tool and cutter grinder  (Read 72248 times)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Re: Worden MK 3 tool and cutter grinder
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 04:01:24 PM »
If I had to follow the sequence of the construction notes, I should have started on the working table.  I need 4mm number stamps (I only have 2mm) which are on order and also I need to study a bit more the sliding mechanism beneath the table.

So I skipped that and did something else.

I did the two side plates clamp screws.  Straight forward lathe turning with no special accuracy required.  The only bit I made sure they are both the same is the 10mm collar which fits in the side plates 10mm slot.  I used a fine diamond knurl on the knob.  Knurling is a bit iffy when I do it so I did a test on a piece of scrap before.

Happy to say that both turned out fine.

With these clamp screws finished, I turned my attention to fitting the side plates.  Cleaned up all the rough edges and took a while in cleaning up the slot to make it fit the 10mm collar of the clamp screw so that the sideplate can slide freely when the screw is loosened.  Used a small Dremel grinding stone and then finished up with some draw filing.

Both side plates fitted with the clamp screws.  Measured the distances between the sideplates at various positions and the largest discrepancy was found to be 0.3mm.  Not bad.  They seem to be parallel to each other.

Vince

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 04:33:45 PM »
A good start  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: , I will be following along  :wine1:

I keep looking at and thinking about cutter grinders, drill sharpeners, etc but haven't taken the plunge yet  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 07:02:43 PM »
Hi Vince, following along with interest. I have to solve this tool grinding problem also. I am still not sure if your way, or the proposal from Don is my solution.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 09:37:47 PM »
Hi Roger and Achim

If this thing works well to grind lathe tools then I will be happy.  It can also be used for sharpening drills and slitting saws but these are extra attachments. Also there is an additional option to make the table traverse sideways. I guess it could be used as a small surface grinder. There could be a problem with the grinding stone guard but it can always be cut to size or remove it totally if needed.

You can also use it to grind the bottom of endmills (but not the flutes).

As I have not used it yet these are just impressions I am getting from reading what other people had to say.

Vince

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 12:39:35 PM »
Vince, you might get a better knurl if you can get the wheels diametrically opposite each other across the item being knurled, but that might be a bit of a stretch with that tool on that diameter.
Ian S C

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 03:54:26 AM »
Vince, you might get a better knurl if you can get the wheels diametrically opposite each other across the item being knurled, but that might be a bit of a stretch with that tool on that diameter.
Ian S C
Yes a bigger "scissor" for that knob.:-) Would help immensely.
  ..lew... 

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 09:29:26 AM »
Thanks Ian and Lew for the comments.  Yes I admit, it wasn't the ideal situation, but I couldn't open it further.  I did not think that buying a larger tool was cost effective, so I tried opening the scissors as much as possible and then pushing the knurl into the material.  I gave a decent knurl.

A little bit of progress.  I did the table stops.  Nothing special. I just had to be careful when boring that the stop would be a sliding fit on the ground shaft. So started by cutting a piece for both stops from the 1" material supplied.  Faced both ends and drilled and bored the hole so that it would slide without any wobble on the 3/4" ground shaft that was also supplied.

Took a while and a lot of patience to get the hole bored to the correct size.  I then parted off in the middle and cleaned it up.

Drilled and tapped for 5mm.

I should have stopped there but decided to do one of the brass screws.  After finishing that off I decided to measure it again because it looked a bit long.  I measured it to be 5mm too long.  :cussing:  Decided to stop there before I did more stupid things.

This morning I measured it again and it measured correctly.   :facepalm:  Must have been tired yesterday.  At least the day started on a good note.  I did the other one.

And the stops on the shaft.

Vince

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2015, 05:14:36 PM »
Yesterday whilst knurling at slow speed I could discern a thumping noise from the lathe.  On investigation it was found that one of the belts was in really poor shape.  So this morning went out to buy a new one.  No more strange noises.

Did another three brass screws which are also required.

The piece on the right is what remains od the bar stock supplied.

Vince

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2015, 06:07:28 PM »
So barely enough for a mistake  ::)  Still following along  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2015, 03:43:51 PM »
Roger, I guess the bar stock is just enough to make the items without any redo.

Next item will be a little more complicated than what I have done up till now.  I will be working on the cam blanks.

I will not be following the instructions here as I think using a different method will be easier for me.  I need to make a jig to hold all three blanks together.  I was lucky to have a 65mm aluminium offcut which I will be using for the jig.  First job was to clean it up.

The centre was marked whilst still in the lathe.  It was then transferred to the milling machine where two 3mm tapped holes where made.  Altough on the plans the holes are shown as 2" apart, in real fact, I found that they are actually 50mm apart.

The three blanks were bolted to the jig and the offset hole and centre were marked.

Back to the lathe and the diameter of the blanks reduced to 2.75".

Back to the mill again and started drilling the offset hole.

This hole should be 7/8".  Drilled up to 19mm and then continued with a boring head to 22mm.  A little smaller than 7/8" but should not make a lot of difference as the collar which will fit in the hole will be machined to fit the hole.

Two 3mm through holes were also drilled to the side of this hole.

I was not planning of doing the following, but when I arrived to this stage I changed my mind.  Although not required, the cams can be cut to provide clearance for an optional Feedscrew Traverse Kit. I do not know if I will be doing that but I thought that as everything is set up, might as well do it.  So the line of the cut was marked off.

Using the angled point of a scriber, the jig with the blanks was aligned on the mill.  Most probably I could have eyeballed it also.

Used a slitting saw to do the cut.

Out of the vice.

Blanks finished and cleaned up.

Next, I will be doing the collars for these cams.  In the meantime, does anybody know the use of this optional Feedscrew Traverse?

Vince
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 03:47:18 PM by vcutajar »

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2015, 07:09:01 AM »
Hi Vince,

Coming along nicely.  I made my Worden after getting rid of the Quorn that I made.  I found the Quorn very awkward to use, particularly getting a smooth movement of the rocking arm when actually taking a cut.  My rational with the Worden was that I would add the traversing screw to enable smooth movement when cutting.  In practice the Worden table moves nice and smoothly with hand pressure alone and I have yet to make the traversing screw kit that I bought.

I see you have been having fun knurling.  On my Worden I made the main table angle locking nut with the same fine knurl that I used for the other screws.  I find this rather painful to use, it can get quite tight, and would recommend something more like a star wheel.

HTH,

Rod

Offline Bob Unitt

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2015, 11:03:58 AM »
In the meantime, does anybody know the use of this optional Feedscrew Traverse?
I have it on mine, I find makes it easier to get a smooth traverse of the tool across the wheel - but I do have rather shaky hands...

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2015, 11:53:36 AM »
Thanks Rod and Bob for your comments.  Bob welcome to the forum.

Ok, now it is making sense.  The Feedscrew Traverse is used to move the table sideways instead of using your hand.

As both of you have the kit, could I ask if the kit comes with the feedscrew finished or do you have to thread it yourself?  Also, is it a metric or imperial thread?

Again thank you for the information.

Vince

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2015, 10:41:04 AM »
Finished the cams, or should I call them eccentrics?

Started work on the collars.  Marked the collars on the barstock and used a parting tool to mark the three of them.  This barstock is used for this collar only (I think) so there is about 30mm spare.

Drilled and bored so that it will slip on a 5/8" shaft.  Turned it to fit into the 22mm hole I did in the cam blank.

First one finished.

Did the other two and then brought the length of all three to the same size.  I left the length a little longer than the plans.  Should not make any difference.  Used the cam blank as a template for the 3mm tapped holes in the collar.

The three of them finished with a 5mm tapped hole on the side for a grub screw.

The collar bolted on the cam.

The cams fitted to the shaft.

Vince

Offline Bob Unitt

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2015, 01:12:08 PM »
As both of you have the kit, could I ask if the kit comes with the feedscrew finished or do you have to thread it yourself?  Also, is it a metric or imperial thread?
Mine was bought 10 years ago. At that time the kit included a length of M10 * 1.5 pitch threaded rod. You could ring Hemingway and ask them, I always found them very useful.

Incidentally, have you seen this ? http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/news/article/living-with-the-worden/5011

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal