Author Topic: model D.C. generator build.  (Read 7786 times)

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Re: model D.C. generator build.
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 12:09:51 PM »
Just having a look in the second "The Model Engineer and Amateur Electrician" Feb 1898, The construction of model Dynamos and Motors. over type, nominal out put8 V, 1Amp, speed 3500rpm. Important dimensions are given as figures, the others sizes can be taken at discretion.  The field core should be the best cast iron. The armature core(D) is made from a number of stampings of best charcoal sheet iron about 1/32" thick. It is shown with either a two pole armature for a dynamo, or a three pole armature for a motor, it needs three poles to self start.
There are plans for 4 or 5 dynamos, or motors in the first year of ME & AE, one at least has laminated armature and stator.
Ian S C

Offline airmodel

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2015, 11:35:06 PM »
Hi everyone.

I have completed the model D.C. generator build.

It has been an enjoyable project and I would like to encourage anyone to have a go at building one, if you don’t have a model steam engine to drive it there is another project to start after this one. If you don’t know much about electricity D.C. generators are the most simple project to start with.

The only problem I had was putting the brushes on to the commutator, It took over one hour. The dexterity in my fingers is not as good as when I was younger.

I estimate the generator has an output of 60-70 watts. This generator starts to generate at a slow speed, a quick twist with the fingers and a small globe will light up.

D.C. motors from ink jet printers will generate at slow speeds and are smaller than my generator, so they will suit smaller model steam engines. 

Have a look at the video it is all about assembling and testing the generator.  <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmXfAOY9dQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrmXfAOY9dQ</a>

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 12:09:08 AM »
Very nice work and the results are great for all your effects. I bet your quiet pleased with the results your getting.  I............like........ :praise2:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2015, 12:34:44 AM »
Well I barely understand a word of all this electrical stuff but I do like what you have endend up with Airmodel !!  Well done and a very handsome end result!!

Bill
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 01:42:53 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2015, 06:07:18 AM »
The output of your generator is impressive. I see that you re-used the armature of a DC motor, and possibly other components. The previous videos don't seem to show all those details, and I'd be interested in learning more about that.

Offline airmodel

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2015, 11:30:36 PM »
Thanks to all that looked at the video. I hope it will inspire someone to do the same thing.

PStechpaul I was very pleased with the output, for me most of the fun is testing the output with different loads and to see what happens. The part 1 video shows where I got the armature and field magnets. I was so impressed on how well this generator worked I will be making another generator without brushes.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal