Author Topic: Casting end covers in iron for D.C. generator project.  (Read 4425 times)

Offline airmodel

Casting end covers in iron for D.C. generator project.
« on: November 29, 2015, 11:47:01 PM »
Hi everyone.

I have poured the cast iron end covers for my D.C. generator project. Have a look at the video.
https://youtu.be/96M8s97APHc

I have machined one of the covers already and was a delight to machine in the lathe, that will be the subject in another video after this one. 

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Re: Casting end covers in iron for D.C. generator project.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 01:19:14 PM »
Absolutely fascinating. As we say in the colonies, this wasn't your first rodeo.
Best,
Stan

Offline kvom

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 03:48:34 PM »
Very instructive.  I did notice that you were pouring on a hard surface.  I've been told that one should do casting on a sandy surface in case of a spill.

Online Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:43:02 PM »
Very instructive.  I did notice that you were pouring on a hard surface.  I've been told that one should do casting on a sandy surface in case of a spill.

Dear kvom.

Indeed, if the surface were concrete, sparks would fly!!

There is another reason for a sandy floor, to help the box vent.

Having watched the video I could not work out the sand. Was/is it oil based or " green " bonded? I didn't see much smoke or steam !!

Kind regards, Graham.

Offline airmodel

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 04:42:39 AM »
kvom When you have poured as many iron castings as I have, spilling molten cast iron is a distant memory.

Alyn Foundry The sand I use is green sand made to my own recipe. With this sand there is no need to vent the sand as the steam recondenses in the outer parts of the mold that is why you did not see any steam. Blowholes are a distant memory.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal