Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 138918 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #690 on: August 24, 2016, 08:54:54 PM »
Much more eloquently said than me Cletus, darned fine analogy too!!  Jim, some of the PMR casting kits are great to start out on, like the small oscillator or the small horizontal mill engine. And if you do happen to mess up a casting they are also great folks to work with as far as getting a replacement. 

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #691 on: August 24, 2016, 09:57:12 PM »
Much more eloquently said than me Cletus, darned fine analogy too!!  Jim, some of the PMR casting kits are great to start out on, like the small oscillator or the small horizontal mill engine. And if you do happen to mess up a casting they are also great folks to work with as far as getting a replacement. 

Bill

Thanks for the analogy Cletus..........I like that! :naughty:

I think it was Jo that said that the part you need is buried inside of a casting. The trick is to cut it out in such a way that the whole part is contained where there's metal.............................or something like that!  :Lol:

Bill, it's interesting that you mentioned PMR casting kits. I actually have this one: http://www.pmmodelengines.com/shop/steam/steam-engine-2/ The nice thing is that I was also able to buy a companion DVD where a fellow shows how he built it....................using a Sherline Lathe and Mill no less!  :whoohoo: I've watched about 1/2 of it now and think it's going to help a lot. So far I've just been doing some "entry level casting fondling"! Probably should get some pointers from Jo!  :lolb:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #692 on: August 24, 2016, 10:46:23 PM »
That is one of the two I was thinking of Jim. It's a nice little runner. I just wish they still offered it in an all bronze version, but assume that the price of bronze simply got too high to keep it at a decent price point.

Bill

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #693 on: August 24, 2016, 10:57:47 PM »
Hello Bill and Jim,
Bronze is more expensive than aluminum, but for an engine that small it still should be do-able.  We use bronze because I like it and have designed the foundry patterns to economize on the number of pours and on casting weights.  So far, we plan to stick with it, but might offer an aluminum base option on our next engine to keep some of the costs down for the beginners we're working to on that one.

Glad to see the flywheels turning Bill!  Keep up the good work!  :-)

Todd.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #694 on: August 24, 2016, 11:40:34 PM »
Thanks Todd. The bronze sure is nice to work with, and gives a heft to an engine aluminum just can't duplicate.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #695 on: August 25, 2016, 02:21:06 PM »
Hello Bill and Jim,
Bronze is more expensive than aluminum, but for an engine that small it still should be do-able.  We use bronze because I like it and have designed the foundry patterns to economize on the number of pours and on casting weights.  So far, we plan to stick with it, but might offer an aluminum base option on our next engine to keep some of the costs down for the beginners we're working to on that one.

Glad to see the flywheels turning Bill!  Keep up the good work!  :-)

Todd.

Thanks for the info Todd.

Speaking of info I don't suppose you'd want to divulge a little more info on the "beginners kit" you have coming down the pipe.?  :naughty: I'm interested!

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #696 on: August 26, 2016, 12:47:58 AM »
Jim,
I'm working on The Flame Licker from the Feb 1950 PopSci magazine article.  We purchased the patterns from Jared Schoenly earlier this year and hope to have it ready for Cabin Fever.
Thanks,
Todd.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #697 on: August 26, 2016, 01:02:33 AM »
That should make a nice project Todd, and I suspect a popular one as well.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #698 on: August 26, 2016, 01:05:31 AM »
Jim,
I'm working on The Flame Licker from the Feb 1950 PopSci magazine article.  We purchased the patterns from Jared Schoenly earlier this year and hope to have it ready for Cabin Fever.
Thanks,
Todd.

Thanks for the info Todd. I'll be looking forward to further developments. 

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #699 on: August 26, 2016, 01:41:37 AM »
Thanks Bill.
Thanks Jim.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #700 on: October 30, 2016, 05:58:29 PM »
Finally at long last, a little shop time. Work has continued on the first flywheel and with the exceptions of cleaning up some of the flash on the casting, narrowing the width of the hubs, and drilling for the crankpin hole, this one is just about finished. I will be the first to say that doing this on the sherline with the riser block setup is far less than optimal. Doable yes, optimal no. But I will press on. I am attaching a couple of pictures just to prove that some progress has indeed been made :)

Bill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #701 on: October 30, 2016, 06:02:03 PM »
Good to see you back at it Bill.

Vince

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #702 on: October 30, 2016, 06:22:56 PM »
Thanks Vince. Work has been horrendous and likely will remain so until the end of the semester, but I am hoping to at least make some minor progress even if only and hour or so a day. I want to have the P&W ready to paint, put back together and get running over the Christmas break when I will have 12 good days or so to work on it.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #703 on: October 30, 2016, 06:25:16 PM »
Geez Bill it has been a while but progress is progress and glad to see you get some time in...... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #704 on: October 30, 2016, 06:36:04 PM »
Thanks Don, it ain't much progress but like you say, a little step forward at least.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal