Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 139218 times)

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #675 on: August 22, 2016, 12:44:49 AM »
The fly wheel is looking good Bill!  Does it feel pretty rigid while turning using the riser blocks?
Kim

Online Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #676 on: August 22, 2016, 12:48:03 AM »
Geeees! I missed that post all together Bill and yea that's cool my friend....... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #677 on: August 22, 2016, 12:51:37 AM »
Kim, the riser blocks themselves are plenty rigid given the capabilities of the machine. The taller toolpost is the only place  I see less rigidity since is it about 1.25" higher off the crossslide then the normal height set up with the QCTP. This was particularly evident working on the rim of the flywheel with the interrupted cuts as noted earlier. This set-up certainly adds versatility, but at the expense of torque and toolpost rigidity for larger diameter parts. I am confident I can git 'er done though with a little more experimentation.

The tailstock extender I am very happy with, wish I had bought that years ago!!

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #678 on: August 22, 2016, 03:17:56 AM »
Looking good so far Bill. I've been shying away from any project that had a flywheel larger than 3", but will be looking beyond that now.  :whoohoo:

Did you have to go to the lower speed pulley setup?

I'm going to emulate the setup you have for the flywheel and figure out if I need the Tailstock Spindle Extender with my Tailstock that has the cut-away.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #679 on: August 22, 2016, 11:54:53 AM »
Jim, I had upgraded my tailstock several years back with the newer version that has the cutout. I still find numerous circumstances where the extender will be useful, particularly when the toolpost is in the cross slide t-slot closest to the lathe head, which mine almost always is.  You can determine that for yourself but I suspect you will eventually come to the same conclusion.

Bill

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #680 on: August 22, 2016, 01:29:21 PM »
Bill,
Are you almost ready for me to send the Die Filer down for you to do the inside spoke cutouts?
Just tell me when.
Nice work so far.
Mosey

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #681 on: August 22, 2016, 01:45:19 PM »
For Sure Mosey, There is a lot of flash there I still need to deal with!!

Bill

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #682 on: August 22, 2016, 02:25:54 PM »
I'm serious, PM me.
Mosey

Offline Myrickman

« Reply #683 on: August 22, 2016, 11:09:06 PM »
The flywheel is coming along nicely, Bill. Always a challenge to work at the limits of your machines size capability. I've had good luck finishing the lion's share of the spokes with one of those teeny belt sanders. Although with the size, it may not accomplish much. Shouldn't be long now.... Paul

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #684 on: August 22, 2016, 11:22:32 PM »
Thanks Paul, there is a certain satisfaction in doing it though and knowing that even if no one else knows it. Maybe akin to a fisherman catching a big fish on light tackle, it just takes longer to land it and the same is true for the Sherlines.  ;)

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #685 on: August 24, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
Bill,
I'm looking forward to more progress reports when you get there.

In the meantime a request: Dealing with setting up a casting for working on it (lathe or mill) still seems like a bit of a "black art" for me. When you have a time, could you elaborate on just how you mounted the casting in the lathe accurately and got it turned to the point where it is in the first picture?

Also: Did you have to change the motor belt to the lower speed position for turning?

Second "Also": What is a tangential" toolbit?

I've sure been learning a lot from this build thread.

Thanks, Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #686 on: August 24, 2016, 03:49:40 PM »
Jim, In this case I am chucking on the center hub of the flywheel...not the most rigid option but the only one available given the geometry of the flywheel casting. I did center drill the outer end and am using a live center to add some stability. I will see how this goes and modify if needed. I did not try changing the motor belt but may give that a try to boost torque. As to the toolbit, I should have said tangential toolHOLDER rather than toolBIT. They are also known as diamond tool holders. There are a few threads on here about making your own in fact. Mine was bought years ago from bay-com enterprises, but I was surprised to learn that they apparently no longer make the one utilizing 1/8" square toolbits and now start at 1/4" instead, likely a bit large for the Sherline. I will try to get some better pictures here tonight if I can.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #687 on: August 24, 2016, 04:28:05 PM »
Jim, In this case I am chucking on the center hub of the flywheel...not the most rigid option but the only one available given the geometry of the flywheel casting. I did center drill the outer end and am using a live center to add some stability. I will see how this goes and modify if needed. I did not try changing the motor belt but may give that a try to boost torque. As to the toolbit, I should have said tangential toolHOLDER rather than toolBIT. They are also known as diamond tool holders. There are a few threads on here about making your own in fact. Mine was bought years ago from bay-com enterprises, but I was surprised to learn that they apparently no longer make the one utilizing 1/8" square toolbits and now start at 1/4" instead, likely a bit large for the Sherline. I will try to get some better pictures here tonight if I can.

Bill

Thanks for the info Bill. That helps to take a little bit of the "mystic" out of the process.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #688 on: August 24, 2016, 05:24:27 PM »
Jim, there is still a  bit of black art to castings, but that is one thing that makes working from castings fun as well, learning how to hold irregular and inconsistent shapes in order to still achieve precise and consistent results. Just another dimension to this wonderful hobby!!

Bill
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 05:31:20 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #689 on: August 24, 2016, 08:21:05 PM »
Jim, I,  like you,  was leary of castings at the beginning.  It did seem like a "black art ", and me being a non conformist,  only led me deeper.  I have determined they are much like women : each is different,  each must be held and treated differently,  however,  when and if,  you figure out where and how to hold them ; they are well worth the trouble.  Just a redneck POV.  Now being a true redneck,  can't let any of this wane your desires,  pick you one and give her a whirl  :lolb: :lolb:

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal