Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 139014 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #645 on: August 14, 2016, 02:12:05 AM »
When polishing the brass, do you guys end with a coating to prevent tarnish, like a lacquer or something?

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #646 on: August 14, 2016, 02:32:48 AM »
Don, not sure if I will ever get my brass as shiny as yours. Chris...I will let Don answer your question, but I don't put anything on mine. The Maas polish helps I think by leaving behind a protective layer.

Don, the little sander thingy saved my butt today. Paid for itself in one use. While soldering the lower union where it threads into the tank, I let the little torch get a little errant in its direction and the end of the flame singed the top of the wood cross piece in the area shown in the photo below.  Once I took the tank off I used it to sand this area back down to bare wood, then restained it. I still need to add a coat of urethane on top of it but it got it back to wood color rather than an unsightly dark singed look.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #647 on: August 14, 2016, 02:46:07 AM »
When polishing the brass, do you guys end with a coating to prevent tarnish, like a lacquer or something?
Like Bill said I use Maas and it does leave a small protective coat but I don't lacquer my engines because of the moving parts. They stay in doll case with the top completely sealed. The only air that exchanges is through thermal expansion so less humidity. They get a nice patina on them and don't change after that. I polish them when I feel like it.'
Bill glad the sander works for you buddy. The more you use it the more you will find it's uses. If you haven't tried it on brass you need to. It helps remove some of those deep scratches in you work also great on steel marks..... :popcorn:

Don

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #648 on: August 14, 2016, 02:53:00 AM »
The piping project came out really nice Bill.  :ThumbsUp: Sure adds a lot to the overall look.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #649 on: August 14, 2016, 03:22:30 AM »
Thanks for looking in Jim. I am pleased with it once I found and fixed the small leak.

Bill

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #650 on: August 14, 2016, 05:12:28 AM »
Love the pipe work!!   :Love: :P

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #651 on: August 14, 2016, 07:07:22 AM »
The pipe work looks great Bill!  And so does the wood-touch-up - nice recovery there!
Kim

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #652 on: August 14, 2016, 05:30:58 PM »
Just catching back up Professor. As an old pipe fitter/welder, that looks darn good.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #653 on: August 14, 2016, 06:07:01 PM »
Thanks Pete, Kim and Cletus. I appreciate you guys looking in.

Bill

Offline TRACKWELDER

« Reply #654 on: August 16, 2016, 01:36:20 PM »
The last time I polished brass was in the service, Brasso was the answer put it on let it dry and then wipe it off and that would leave a nice shine, occaissionally we would use hairspray to seal it, but I have no idea how it would handle the heat, on the other hand another coat of brasso would polish it up again.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #655 on: August 16, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »
Hi Trackwelder, how about an introduction and tell us about yourself and interest..... :shrug:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #656 on: August 16, 2016, 07:47:11 PM »
Hi trackwelder, and welcome to MEM. I have certainly heard of modelers using shellac or other clear coatings over cleaned brass, but there is also the risk that if any moisture or other contaminant gets sealed in under the coating, it can still cause tarnish or discoloration in localized areas and then you have to remove the coating as well to clean it up again. I am more like Don in that regard, just repolish as needed before a show or whenever you wish to for that matter.

Not to repeat what he said, but yes please do take the time to post an introduction in the "introduce yourself" section. That was more can say hello and welcome you than may be just following this thread. Thanks for looking in to.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #657 on: August 19, 2016, 05:35:52 PM »
The riser blocks arrived Wednesday, but haven't even had a chance to open the box yet. Will be digging into that over the weekend though, so hopefully progress on the flywheels this weekend at last.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #658 on: August 19, 2016, 09:33:24 PM »
The riser blocks arrived Wednesday, but haven't even had a chance to open the box yet. Will be digging into that over the weekend though, so hopefully progress on the flywheels this weekend at last.

Bill

I'll be following this closely, Bill. Not only the flywheel project itself, but your review of the riser blocks.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #659 on: August 19, 2016, 11:36:31 PM »
Christmas in August, a liberal amount of G&T will aide greatly with preparing the new tooling :cheers:

Cletus

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal