Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 139266 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #585 on: May 22, 2016, 03:22:15 AM »
That handle looks really nice Bill.

I've been wondering how a tool rest like this: http://sherline.com/product/2110-w-r-smith-t-rest/ along with the proper gravers would work. Probably way overkill for a handle like yours, but might be interesting to play with.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #586 on: May 22, 2016, 05:05:46 PM »
I keep forgetting how small these parts are until I see the giant hands again.

Alan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #587 on: May 23, 2016, 01:04:03 AM »
Thanks for looking in guys and punsters :)  I did get the rest of the crank handle finished today. I had previously made the pin that the brass handle fits over and spins on but didn't take any pictures of that. The business end of the crank handle, the part that engages the pins on the gear shaft was cut to length, drilled out to .187" then cross drilled .052" The pins are .047". Then I set the angle on the mill vise and used a small burr to finish the angled slots as shown in photo 1. Photos 2, 3, and 4 show this part as it engages the pins on the gear shaft. Sadly, I should have measured before making this part, since it was not long enough to allow the finished crank to clear the wood base the engine is mounted on...so a second one was made .500" longer. Thankfully I discovered this before silver soldering it to the body of the crank.

The main body of the crank is made from .375" x .188" mild steel. All I had on hand was some .500" x .250" so after some flycutting and milling I ended up with the blank shown in photo 5. I did make a mistake by drilling our the smaller end (where the brass knob attaches) to .188" rather than the .136" of the pin diameter, but a small bushing fixed that. After some bending, silver soldering, and a LOT of clean up the finished crank is shown in photo 6, and then shown in place in photos 7 & 8. The little torch was again used for this silver soldering and worked well even given the thicker mild steel body of the crank.

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #588 on: May 23, 2016, 01:27:56 AM »
Now you're cranking  8) :lolb:

Cletus

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #589 on: May 23, 2016, 01:31:58 AM »
Hey Bill,
Looking at your crank, scratching my head, and then comparing it to mine, I'm finding out that the 3" dimension shown on the drawing should be 2".  (A scaling error in the dimension.)
Your's should work fine; however, I'm a little worried about the moment arm on the extra long pawl on the small crankshaft.

My apologies for the error.
Todd.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #590 on: May 23, 2016, 12:40:55 PM »
Thanks for the info Todd. Disappointing to say the least, but nothing to do but remake the steel part. I looked at the one I made and the locations of the curves just don't allow for shortening it. On the plus side the brass part and likely the pawl can be reused, and the steel part will only require 2/3rds the machining  ;D.

On a separate note, when I do drawings in AutoCAD LT, the only thing that scales in the dimensions is the font size of the actual dimension number, not it's value. Meaning that if I know I am going to print a particular layout at 2X scale I will set up a separate dimension style to be used only with those layouts. For example the height of the dimensions will be half that used for a layout to be printed full scale, so that when the 2X layout is printed the size of the dimensions doubles but the values remain the same. That way when looking at a full scale sheet and a 2X sheet side by side the dimensions appear to be the same size. On the other hand I rarely if ever use associative dimensions which might act quite differently. Anyway, something you might want to look into to avoid these scaling errors.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #591 on: May 23, 2016, 05:46:32 PM »
No that's a right nice looking crank there Bill and glad to see you get shop time in buddy.......... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #592 on: May 23, 2016, 05:50:13 PM »
Hello Bill,
Associative dimensions are a must for my projects.  In TurboCAD there are several variables that can set the dimension scale.  The first sets the overall scale of how the dimension is drawn (like you describe).  The other sets the units of the dimension to whatever the user decides.  In this case, all other dimensions on the sheet were set to 0.6667 to correctly dimension the details.  The 3" dimension was set to a unit scale of 1.000.  You would think that something as simple as matching the scale of the dimension to the scale of the object being dimensioned would be automatic.

What you describe is my understanding of the AutoCAD way and is the same as I was using in AutoCAD waaaay back in 1988-1991 drafting my way through college.  This is still done when the text resides in model space.  When the text and dimensions reside in paper space (as I do), dimension scaling is easier, but unit scaling is more difficult.

It's also surprising how long some of these errors persist.  I recently had a builder of our little Puck flat head engine point out the same issue with an entire section -- on a 10-year old set with 100+ copies on the street.

Again, my apologies for the error,
Todd.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #593 on: May 23, 2016, 05:53:40 PM »
Not to worry Todd, stuff happens as they say. I will get the hole for the brass handle pin right this time too :)

Bill

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #594 on: May 23, 2016, 10:03:14 PM »
Thanks Bill,
You may notice that the crank I made for Woody's engine is a little fancier in that the hub for the crank handle is rounded.  I simplified that for the final design as it was a pain to make it that way.  I do like the way it looks though.

Todd.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #595 on: May 24, 2016, 12:16:58 AM »
Todd, I have the new steel part almost finished...its all tapered, rounded on both ends and drilled for the pawl and handle pin. I will sand it smooth tomorrow evening and hopefully get it bent and silver soldered together as well.  Then its just all the finishing sanding to do to make it a smooth as the one made previously. I will reuse the brass handle and if I de-solder the longer pawl I should be able to cut it off and use it on the new one as well. As with most things, it went faster the second time around.

Bill

Offline littlelocos

« Reply #596 on: May 24, 2016, 12:26:33 AM »
Bill,
Great to hear.
Thanks,
Todd.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #597 on: May 24, 2016, 01:21:30 AM »
I have the new steel part almost finished...its all tapered, rounded on both ends and drilled for the pawl and handle pin.

Sigh. Something made? But no pic?  :lolb:

Just having fun with you.
It's all I can do given the distance.  :lolb:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #598 on: May 24, 2016, 01:28:22 AM »
Yeah, yeah, yeah :)  Well its the same as this only 1" shorter. Another picture I had meant to add last night was the second one below...a fairly recent acquisition and well timed I might add...Amazon has gone up 25% on the price since I ordered these.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #599 on: May 24, 2016, 01:33:05 AM »
Well its the same as this only 1" shorter.

Sure. Same as showing a picture of my sister as me. "Same as this one only male and taller."  :lolb: (But with bulges in different places.)
Or a picture of vanilla ice cream. "Same as this one only chocolate."

You really didn't think you could get away with that did you?

What kind of drivers are those?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal