Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 139227 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #540 on: May 09, 2016, 12:14:52 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments.  Jim, what I did on both ends was to use a short piece of brass pin pressed into the end, which would then locate the "arms" that join to the steel con rod shaft. A radius was also put on the end of each arm to better fit to the ends. I am hoping it will be strong enough since the explosive force of combustion as well as the compression stroke will serve to compress the entire assemble. Any tensile forces should be more minimal.

Yes I used the little torch on all of these with the largest tip....#5 I think. I have rarely if ever used any of the smaller tips.

Both the big end and small end were soldered prior to attaching them to the central part of the con rod. Hope that helps.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #541 on: May 09, 2016, 02:49:49 PM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate the comments.  Jim, what I did on both ends was to use a short piece of brass pin pressed into the end, which would then locate the "arms" that join to the steel con rod shaft. A radius was also put on the end of each arm to better fit to the ends. I am hoping it will be strong enough since the explosive force of combustion as well as the compression stroke will serve to compress the entire assemble. Any tensile forces should be more minimal.

Yes I used the little torch on all of these with the largest tip....#5 I think. I have rarely if ever used any of the smaller tips.

Both the big end and small end were soldered prior to attaching them to the central part of the con rod. Hope that helps.

Bill
Thanks Bill, That helps a lot. This info, plus going back and studying page 35 and all of page 36 in detail, had it all falling into place.  :)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #542 on: May 09, 2016, 08:36:24 PM »
A beautiful con rod you've produced there Professor  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. I've been trying to stay up to date, but,  I think this end of school thing has me as busy as you are :facepalm:. Apparently,  BBQ is a great graduation party food  (thank goodness  :naughty:) . Keep 'em coming,  I'm  :popcorn: and  :DrinkPint:.

Col. Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #543 on: May 09, 2016, 08:46:14 PM »
Thanks Rev. Col. Cletus. Busy is good, next thing you know they will be coming by your place for BBQ after the prom.... :lolb:

Prof.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #544 on: May 09, 2016, 09:06:34 PM »
Just back from a trip and catching up.

Nice job Bill!  :ThumbsUp:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #545 on: May 09, 2016, 09:16:22 PM »
Welcome back Zee. I thought it had been rather quiet over your way lately :)

Bill

« Reply #546 on: May 09, 2016, 11:24:53 PM »
Bill, with the way kids are today,  they would be more prone to come in for breakfast.  Can't wait to see the flywheel work,  I kinda almost started on mine today.

PS: couldn't get enough donations to keep the Reverend up,  so, guess it's Col. for awhile  :lolb:

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #547 on: May 09, 2016, 11:35:03 PM »
I guess they caught on to your "help me help you help me" thing huh? Well AMEX still loves you at least  :lolb:

Bill

« Reply #548 on: May 09, 2016, 11:42:49 PM »
Hey, GM did it with the Vega  and Ford with the Pinto : I try to learn from the greats  :lolb: :lolb:, Now VW,  we country boys just don't and won't cheat and lie  :old:

Cletus

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #549 on: May 10, 2016, 12:09:59 AM »
No good excuse but I have been having trouble keeping up with the builds too, just life getting in the way.

Looking pretty darn nice Bill! The con rod is sweet :ThumbsUp:

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #550 on: May 10, 2016, 12:14:00 AM »
Thanks Dave. I know the feeling here as well....shop time has been at a premium lately!!

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #551 on: May 15, 2016, 12:34:32 AM »
Today was spent working on the piston and wrist pin. The wrist pin is simply a piece of 3/16 drill rod with a flat on either end (photos 1 & 2). The piston is pretty straightforward but took several set-ups and not quite finished yet, but more on that later. I started with a piece of .875 aluminum and turned it down to about .005" over the final dimension, then cross drilled and reamed for the wrist pin (photo 3). After drilling a 15/64" hole the depth of the cavity for the con rod small end I bored the base of the piston to .725" (photo 4) and chamfered the skirt using the compound (photo 5).

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #552 on: May 15, 2016, 12:44:54 AM »
Then it was over to the mill and mounting the chuck on the RT, I lined up the wrist pin hole perpendicular to the y axis and used a 1/4" end mill to mill out the cavity for the con rod in steps(photo 1). Then stepping to the side I drilled the holes (and later tapped them 4-40 for the screws to secure the wrist pin in place (photo 2). The next 2 hours or so were spent getting a scant slip fit of the piston in the cylinder. I turned all but maybe .001- .0015 " and then kept polishing until it fit both ends of the cylinder. Actually this took longer than making the piston but I was happy with the result (photos 3 & 4). The piston slips into the bore of the cylinder but if I close off all the holes and blow in the end of it there is little if any leakage of air. Still remaining is the oil hole in the top of the piston, a v groove just above the wrist pin, and the two grooves for the cast iron rings. I will get that done tomorrow.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #553 on: May 15, 2016, 01:22:35 AM »
Nice update Bill!

Is School out?

My thoughts are that an aluminum piston in an IC engine running rings will need some clearance; I would do at least one to two thou. Can you share your thoughts on creating such a precise fit?

Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #554 on: May 15, 2016, 01:27:51 AM »
Dave, the plans call for .0005" -.001" clearance. As best as I can measure I have about .0007 now. After making the rings and fitting them I will be able to tell more. What I didn't want to do was to get too much clearance from the get-go. I can always relieve it a bit more if needed, but too much now and the piston has to be remade.

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal