Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 136738 times)

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #390 on: April 01, 2016, 02:55:49 AM »
Bill that looks like fun and I want to see how it's done, so take some good piccys.

Don

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #391 on: April 01, 2016, 03:15:20 AM »
Bill that looks like fun and I want to see how it's done, so take some good piccys.

Don

Bill,

I'll second what Don said. It's especially helpful seeing your pic of the drawing of the pieces in order to see where you're headed with this.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #392 on: April 01, 2016, 09:38:32 PM »
Professor,  I have been diligently following along,  naw really I have been,  I ain't #$@% you  :lolb: :lolb: :ThumbsUp:. The last oiler  (and the first for the record ) looks great  :ThumbsUp:.. I'm in the "head " stage on the Redwing.  You start thinking about where everything is supposed to wind up and then I start third guessing myself on how I have things set up  :thinking: :facepalm: :shrug: and if everything thing is gonna line up,  know what I mean?  Tell everybody hey.

Cletus

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #393 on: April 01, 2016, 11:48:16 PM »
Thanks Don and Jim. Cletus, yeah I know zactly what you mean!!

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #394 on: April 02, 2016, 01:18:02 AM »
Just a couple of baby steps this evening.  Milled out the gap where the back pushrod guide fits to the collar (photo 1), drilled and reamed the through hole for the pushrod (photo 2), and did a trial fit to the collar (photo 3). Tomorrow I will drill the clearance holes for the 2-56 screws that mount it to the collar, and finish off the contouring as per the drawing, then start on the front guide.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #395 on: April 03, 2016, 01:16:17 AM »
Well to start the morning off I finished up the rear pushrod guide and installed it on the rear collar (photo 1). With that done I set out to whittle the block for the front guide out of the oversized piece of bronze I had previously cut off for that purpose. Once I got it to size I did the drawing thing again (poorly I might add) just to keep things straight in my mind (photo 2). The next five pictures are just a sequence of milling out the various bits of metal that weren't a part of the guide.  There were a lot of set-ups on this little guy...not tricky at all, but time consuming as it took most of the afternoon to get to this point.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #396 on: April 03, 2016, 01:22:12 AM »
At the end of the day both pushrod guides are finished except for some rounding and clean up things and amazingly they both fit and with just a little polishing of the pushrod it fit and slides very well in the guides. Photo 1 shows the finished front guide. Photo 2 shows it installed along with the rear guide, and the last photo shows a bit of the governor mechanism in place as well though I still need to make the pin keep it in place.

Thanks all for today, doesn't look like a lot but as noted above, lots of tedious time consuming work and I am pleased with the results.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #397 on: April 03, 2016, 01:28:19 AM »
Nicely done Bill!

The push rod guides look great!

Dave

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #398 on: April 03, 2016, 01:35:53 AM »
doesn't look like a lot but as noted above, lots of tedious time consuming work and I am pleased with the results.

Looks like a lot to me and yes, you should be pleased. Great looking stuff!

:popcorn:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #399 on: April 03, 2016, 01:43:51 AM »
Thanks Dave and Zee. Its getting to the point where finishing up some of these "attachments" lets me also add some of those numerous little fiddly bits I had made earlier in the build, so its kind of motivating. I think tomorrow I will try to finish up the head. Drilling and tapping for the sparkplug and counterboring from the inside of the head for the valve seats. Or maybe the rear tie rod supports so that I can start hanging some of the flywheel/cam gear mechanisms on. Thanks for looking in!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #400 on: April 03, 2016, 02:16:59 AM »
I can see the excitement kicking in buddy and the parts came out great. Your getting closer to that pop...pop. I only have one complaint, no photos of the rounding action......... :lolb:

;D
Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #401 on: April 03, 2016, 02:28:37 AM »
Thanks Don. The rounding wasn't all that scientific to be honest. Basically I pit a 1/8" dowel pin in the hole and let the pin rest on the vise jaws. Gradually rotated the part around and clamped it after each move and used a 3/32" ball end mill and very light cuts until it looked 'bout right  ;) As I said, not scientific but it worked.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #402 on: April 03, 2016, 03:17:14 AM »
Thanks Don. The rounding wasn't all that scientific to be honest. Basically I pit a 1/8" dowel pin in the hole and let the pin rest on the vise jaws. Gradually rotated the part around and clamped it after each move and used a 3/32" ball end mill and very light cuts until it looked 'bout right  ;) As I said, not scientific but it worked.

Bill

Thanks, Bill

I had the same question as Don and am still trying to get my head wrapped around just what you did.

Also I got to wondering if the outside curve could be milled using the RT somehow?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #403 on: April 03, 2016, 05:09:18 AM »
Hi Bill, a nice progress again. 4 bolts at each bracket is a really safe fixation for this kind of brackets. Good luck while doing the valve seats.
Kind Regards
Achim

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #404 on: April 03, 2016, 06:53:40 AM »
Very nice work, as always Bill.  And you never have to apologize for the amount of apparent progress.  We all know how much work goes into each of those fiddly parts!  Progress is progress.  And some of us make infinitesimal progress each week and still feel good about it!

It's really starting to shape up there Bill!
Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal