Author Topic: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine  (Read 138980 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Parsell & Weed Horizontal IC Engine
« Reply #315 on: March 16, 2016, 12:07:27 AM »
I cut a small slap off a piece of 2 1/2" brass bar today and got just a start on the base for the gas/coolant tank assembly. Just some straight forward turning on it thus far. Have added a few pics below and a picture of where this part is headed from the plans. More tomorrow evening if all goes well. Progress is still progress even in small bits.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #316 on: March 17, 2016, 12:12:30 AM »
A few more steps done tonight. I set the base up on the rotary table in the mill to drill the four mounting holes 90 degrees apart (photo 1). Then back to the lathe to turn the final OK and thin the base down to .125" (photo 2). The result is shown in photo 3 and where it will fit on the engine base in the last photo. All that is left is to mill out the spaces between the four mounting lugs and round the ends of those. More tomorrow. Oh the 12 mm tubing arrived today also!!

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #317 on: March 17, 2016, 01:27:37 AM »
That's really starting to look the part Bill and glad to see you making more progress on this. 8) There is just something about a Brass tank that I like, well brass itself too.......... :Love:

:wine1:
Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #318 on: March 17, 2016, 01:36:02 AM »
There is just something about a Brass tank that I like, well brass itself too.......... :Love:

:wine1:
Don

I would never have guessed Don  :o  Oh and I did get that order placed this evening too :)

Bill

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #319 on: March 17, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »
Professor,  I have been following along on the road. The oiler looks great and I'm sure the smaller version will suit your expectations.  The combo tank is looking sweet also.  You are becoming a very capable foot soldier under our  godfather of brass,  Don1966 Corleon :lolb: :lolb:. Great work Bill.

Cletus

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #320 on: March 17, 2016, 12:31:44 PM »
Bill,
I've been remiss in not commenting on this thread. I've owned the book for years. Very nice work as usual. I do hope to see "Vickie" completed at some point.

--Tim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #321 on: March 17, 2016, 02:50:06 PM »
Cletus, hope you and Lou had a nice trip over the weekend. Thanks for checking in too. Tim, There will be more on the Vickie soon. I haven't forgotten her at all, just a minor obsession with the P&W for the last little while and very limited time to work on either.

Don, I should have noted (not that you can't tell already, the brass tub has not been polished at all yet. I will do that once I drill the several holes in it for the tubing, and to locate one of those holes I needed to have the base finished. So, it will look better soon.

Thanks to all who have been following along BTW!!

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #322 on: March 17, 2016, 03:27:11 PM »
Looking good Bill.

I'm still working my way through your "Vickie" thread, so will look forward to the continuation.

You mentioned polishing in your last post. I did a little search on "polishing", but haven't found anything here on the forum yet. I'm wondering if there's anything on that subject that I haven't ran across?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #323 on: March 17, 2016, 09:22:10 PM »
Nice work as usual Bill. Although I hate to use the term 'as usual'. Every part is an individual work.

You mentioned polishing in your last post. I did a little search on "polishing", but haven't found anything here on the forum yet. I'm wondering if there's anything on that subject that I haven't ran across?

Hm...would make a nice new thread somewhere. I know there's a few good polishers here and I'd certainly like to see the techniques and tools.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #324 on: March 18, 2016, 12:18:25 AM »
Most of my tips on polishing I  have gotten from Don. I'm still a newbie on that front. Jim, I don't recall a specific thread on it which is why a search doesn't turn it up. There was some discussion though as I recall in Don's E&A build log so you might glance through it. I have said before that the MicroMesh sanding sticks were a huge help and Don put me on to those as well though they are cheaper buying them direct from the MicroMesh folks. This is the product I am using  http://micro-surface.com/index.php/products-by-type/dual-angle-detailing-files/dual-angle-micro-mesh-regular-files.html

Another "tool" I love is the Foredom bench lathe:  http://www.foredom.net/blbenchlatheandkits.aspx  A bit pricey but a high quality too in a small footprint hobby size.

Maybe we can persuade Don to start a thread on this topic.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #325 on: March 18, 2016, 02:54:03 AM »
Bill thanks for the vote of confidence. I am not by far an expert on polishing but for my engines I get good results with my process. I am sure there are some who could do it better then I. This is a link to my E&S thread at the point where I showed my sanding and polishing setup. I do have the buffer missing and my finishing station as well as my Foredom with some of the attachments. I will try to put something together for you Jim and take a few photos of some of my equipment that I use. Here is the thread and look for reply 105.....http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,4629.270.html

Don

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #326 on: March 18, 2016, 04:38:43 AM »
Bill thanks for the vote of confidence. I am not by far an expert on polishing but for my engines I get good results with my process. I am sure there are some who could do it better then I. This is a link to my E&S thread at the point where I showed my sanding and polishing setup. I do have the buffer missing and my finishing station as well as my Foredom with some of the attachments. I will try to put something together for you Jim and take a few photos of some of my equipment that I use. Here is the thread and look for reply 105.....http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,4629.270.html

Don

Thanks Don and Bill. Each of your posts have already been quite informative. I'll look forward to the next installment.

Don, I remember looking at your beautifully finished E & A project the other day. It'll be nice to learn a little more about how that was accomplished.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #327 on: March 19, 2016, 12:55:05 AM »
Been working this evening on the new smaller sized oiler. No pictures tonight but will have some for you tomorrow. Have to work a recruiting event half the day though. The new junior version is looking much more to scale though I must say. Pleased with it so far.

Bill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #328 on: March 20, 2016, 12:30:44 AM »
No more work on the junior oiler today but still have a couple of pics of what has been done for comparison. First up this afternoon though was to drill the tank for the five nipples that will be soldered into it. These were located, drilled and reamed to size (photo 1) and then fitted together and in place (photo 2). I still need to finish up the base for the tank tubing and will do that tomorrow. The new base for the smaller oiler is shown in photo 3 as I hold the original oiler next to it. In reality the new oiler looks even smaller by comparison. The last photo is of the new oiler for scale comparison on the engine frame. I still think it about right but will need to finish the other components to finish it off tomorrow as well. Also the height of the new glass piece is going to be reduced further, its still a little too tall I think.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #329 on: March 20, 2016, 12:43:49 AM »
Looking great Bill. Yes maybe a tad too tall. But just a tad.
On the other hand, I wouldn't worry about it now. Get it together and then see.

No pictures tonight

Please note and remember that I didn't say anything about that.  ;D
Nope. Not saying anything.
Not a thing.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal